Sign in to follow this  

The status of Fly!

Firstly, I wish you, Richard, all the best in your recovery and future project. You deserve a lot of credit for Fly! despite all the economic and health problems.Most of us have been expecting that Fly! would "die" but have been hoping against hope that it would survive. Mabe it will pop up again some day. In the meantime, I shall continue to use Fly!. Since I first bought Fly!1 I fell in love with. So much so, that I just got down to write software for it. My dream was to generate sceneries. I noticed the huge amount of FS sceneries around. After two years of programming I now have a product which can convert FS sceneries automatically for use in Fly!. I wanted to do the conversions myself and upload them. This is far to inefficient. I hope to upload the converter very soon so that Fly!ers can download FS sceneries and convert them themselves. I am not sure what other Fly!ers think? Gravy ? I hope this is not inappropriate to this thread.Take care Richard, and enjoy this wonderful world.podjoe

Guest Henri W

Joe,Are you serious? This sounds like very important news. Actually you should post it in a separate thread.This would be just another proof of all the things for Fly! II that are cooking right now. Fly! series dead, I would not say so. This is the right spirit: Instead of whining about shortcomings of Fly! II lets try to further improve it. Anyway, thanks already for your efforts.Best regards,Henri

Well I thought i'd chuck in my two-penneth at this wake. I originally started writing a few paragraphs but i'll keep it down to a couple now.Fly & Fly2, only GA sims I bought. Annoying at first, great when they matured, damn sad to see the road has ended. Good luck and best of health to you Richard. Cheers.PS Make sure you fix that glitch that screws up the 757 landing gear at night before you pack Fly2 in eh? ;)

Guest ben_

PodjoeThis does sound great news. Will it work with Fly2 or will this require a new effort as well. I think if we can get more USA models at airports, it would certainly extend the group of people interested in Fly!2.Keep us informed!ThanksBen

Thanks Rich,I think I`ll use Fly2 from now on as it is.It is still better than Billy`s game in my opinion.Good health and happyness are the major factors.Don`t ever forget that.I wish you all the best with your health and personal life.Succes in your new project ( I think it is far more important than Fly ,spoken about importancy) and "never say never"GOD BLESSleenEHRD

forumlogopaintmod.png

"Non licet omnibus volare cum aquilis" (Azzurro)

Visit Flybike-Paints

Guest Motormouse

I would say that Fly! is not dead as long as simmers are out there in the ether enjoying the product.Commercial development may no longer be forthcoming,but given the talents of the simming community 'at large' there is no reason to suspect that user add-on's will not continue to enrich the experience.Just have a peek at the Flight Unlimited forum,to see what is being created for that sim,and there isn't the benefit of having someone like Rich Harvey around to help out there.:-wavePete

Hello Rich,I just wanted to express my thanks to you and the rest of the Fly team. Your dedication to this community and Fly support has meant a lot to me.You have shown what integrity, honesty, and perserverance are all about. I will keep you in my prayers for your continued recovery.Best of luck with your new project. I believe in fate, and this project fits that bill. If you can bring just a little of the joy you brought to us, and transfer that joy to children, that is a just cause. :-)Rich, I commend you for all that you have done for us here, and I look forward to hearing about your next release.Best Regards and God Bless You and your Family,Joe Ranos :-wavehttp://home.attbi.com/~jranos/mysig.jpg http://avsim.com/hangar/air/bfu/logo70.gif

CryptoSonar on Twitch & YouTube. 

Guest captbulldog

Anybody remember when you first heard of the original Fly! ? :) I remember seeing this little add at the corner at GameSpot that said "Real Volumetric Clouds!" and background is a picture of the mentioned. I passed it on because I thought I was happy with my ProPilot 2k. But then everytime I come back to GS the add is always there, and finally I had to click on it. Then I found a series of pictures of clouds shots from the inside of the 172, I was hooked! Right around this point I found AVSim too. This was before Fly! actually came out. I saw some panel screenshots and...wow. I got Fly! on its released day.Well, I followed them from day 1. Just thought I'd share howI came about to them :)

Hi Preston,I don't exactly remember the first time I was made aware of Fly!, but it was long before its original release. TRI was releasing so, so many screenshots of Fly! during the eight months or more (?) before its first release. I was so excited at every little tidbit they would talk about so freely on the TRI forum (way before AVSIM became the TRI forum by default :-)). I absolutely knew the sim was going to be special because the developers were actually talking to the end users all the time! That just blew me away... And of course it was a huge pretense to the ground breaking communication they fostered with this community throughout the years - yet to be matched.It was very near to release when they released the first screenshots of the new cloud system they had just put in... Man, now THAT was an exciting day. I thought I was pumped about Fly! before that, but those CLOUDS were simply STUNNING! I dreamt about them at nights while sleeping they were so good... :-)Yes, those early pre-release days were so exciting. And of course the firestorm that erupted upon release because of the bugs (mainly here at AVSIM which basically killed the TRI forum as official support forum :-)), was a HUGE let down. I just knew the sim was dead on arrival - and was crushed! That very first weekend of release, I'll never forget Paul (the sim guy I think?) coming here to AVSIM and personally helping out all the people having problems with framerates and the like... It just blew me away. Everyone else on the team had gone on a much deserved vacation, yet here was one of the main designers of the sim, personally helping out users in this forum (and trying his hardest to put out the flames that would soon turn into that firestorm :-)).Then Rich and the team came back from vacation. Whoa... You could tell he was absolutely stunned at the amount of negative feedback concerning performance and bugs in the sim. So what did he do? He pulled up his sleeves, asked the COMMUNITY what was most important to them to fix, then got the team together and dug in!Wow, was I impressed. The guy was taking complete charge of the situation and doing everything in his power to get a handle on it: IN PUBLIC! It was simply amazing to me. Of course, we all know what happened in the end... Patch after patch flowed out of TRI (at our request to have them often!) and the sim was whipped into excellent shape. Not only did Fly! v1 turn out to be the absolute best sim on the market at the time, but the community they built in the process was amazing! Everyone became so extremely helpful to each other: including the unending participation of the various Fly! dev team members - directly with the end-user developers... It was simply magic.And I won't even go into the first few obsure posts by some guy named "Todd" who was working on some automated way to generate scenery... Or the first time that guy Jak started talking about some weird additions to Fly!'s excellent Sky. Or the fist time that strange David character started talking about doing something with the weather in Fly!... :-lol etc, etc, etc.Wow... Thats a lot of rambling from me (as usual I guess :-)). Indeed, the "Fly! experience" has been a hell of a ride.Take care,http://members.rogers.com/eelvish/elrondlogo.gifhttp://members.rogers.com/eelvish/flyurl.gif

Hello Sir. Man have I got an idea! robemmer40@aol.comR. J. Emmer

Guest Ken_Salter

Hello Richard et al:I thought I would take some time to write a couple of words:1) Glad your health cancer wise is clear, and I hope your upcoming surgery will turn out for the best. This is the most important point.2) Though I've owned every GA flight sim since MSFS 4.0, I will say that the Fly! series was by far my favourite, and is the only one I ever even considered developing for.3) I hope that circumstances will emerge to allow continued development of the Fly! series.4) I agree with the statement that there needs to be at least two competitors to MSFS to keep innovation alive, to enrich all of our experience.Regards,Ken SalterEx AVSIM Fly! Moderator

Guest DannyV

Hi Rich,I have just returned from a trip away to this sad news. I wish to thank you for the endless enjoyment you have bought me and many others here. I have enjoyed developing scenery for Fly and Fly 2. The

Hi all(and Elrond too!!)I think I read about Fly! around Feb 99 and I was ..well blown away with the pics and Richards true dedication to detail in the interview I bought Fly! two days after it arrivedhere in Victoria. Like you I was around during the early days of thisforum and could not beleve the the LEAD PROGRAMER for a product and indeed the entire team that devloped it actually ANSWERED peoplesquestions ON LINE!! I am still 100% blown away how Rich working outof his BED IN THE HOSPITAL during the time just bfore Fly!II went into beta and it seemed like he was in the friggin office typing awaywith nothing better to do than answer peoples questions!!. I am very,very proud to have the luck to meet and learn what true dedication is in the person of Richard Harvey,indeed to you andpeople like Todd,Jack,Rob Young and many,many others. To Richard like I said you sir are a true gift to mankind this world has far tofew like you. So I wish you all the best in life,health and for yourfamily as well. Dan Martin

Guest Cessna_Flyer

It is unfortunate that an already great simulator with so much potential is going to be gone--at least for the present. Fly! has been the best GA simulator that I have ever used. I find it amazing that can I take a checklist that I use in a real Cessna and use it in the sim. I nearly fell over when I first flipped the master switch and heard the avionics fan whining. I thought to myself, "just like the real C-172 that I fly!" I felt so familiar with the real C-172R when I switched from a C-172P early on in my training. Fly! actually helped me in the transition between the 172R and 172P! This is what makes Fly! more than "just another sim" or "just another silly game." It was also the little details like every switch and screw that was on the real aircraft panel being modeled into the Fly! panels. And it was also the simulated radios and GPS's that worked almost like the real ones. Fly! was also the first sim for me where I found that the developers would actually speak with their customers and help them, even if they had to do so in their limited spare time. Most game companies wont even reply to tech support e-mails, let alone have the developers working closely with the customers. The close community and the relationships with Rich and Tri are just something you don't find in other forums for other games. And just think about when Rich got sick. Remember all the support he got? When was the last time you felt so dearly for someone when you have never even met them? And whenever someone on the board had personal problems, the community would always come together and show a lot of support for them. I find that most of the people on this board are nicer than the people I interact with on a daily basis. Again, Fly! is more than just a silly game. Rich, I wish you all the luck with your health and future projects. If someone could make a difference with this new project, I'm sure it would definitely be you. I hope you will still stick around here on AVSIM and update us on your latest project(s). I also wish the people of Tri good luck in whatever they do. As for me, I still fly with Fly!2K. With every new add-on, my Fly! setup just gets better and better. Who Knows? Maybe we will get lucky someday and end up with a new Fly! I, for one, will not give up and think of Fly! as permanently dead. I'll still stick around for sure! Thanks for the great sim and great times I've had with it.-Greg

Rich,A long time ago you made a very inspriational post about how you always dreamed of creating a flight sim. You also said how you hoped a community would form based around that sim. Fly may be "dead" as of this moment, but we all know that your initial goal has been very successful.Whenever there was a low in Fly!'s history, I not only became sad because the future of Fly became uncertain, but because I know how much it meant to you. Because of this dream you had in creating a sim, I very much wanted to see it succeed. You now have no idea how happy it makes me to hear that you are going to wield the same magic you had in creating a living, breathing entity around a program in another way that's probably even more special to you than you probably ever imagined. I truly hope this new project of yours takes on the same power of life, bringing enjoyment and happiness to those who need it the most. You are definitely the right person for that job.I hope you keep your head poked in this forum every so often. Keep us posted on how you're doing -- good luck with your surgery. We'll all be wishing the best for you.