Sign in to follow this  
Geofa

A couple notes on the Deb....

I must say, I don't know what you do or plan on doing for a living - but you definitely have talent in this arena. Ever think of starting your own company producing aircraft addons? I mean, that manual you put together - wow!!! :-eek Your autoinstaller + plane + manual is better than some of the payware I have bought ;-). Maybe you should - this beauty is worth some $$$, but thanks for making it freeware :-).One small suggestion, if I can be so bold :-shy, would be to dirty up the exterior just a tiny bit. This plane looks like it just rolled off the assembly line and has never flown. Maybe your real plane looks just as nice :-). Anyways, just a tiny suggestion - a little dirt and grime (especially on the belly) would make it look more "real world".Thanks again for an absolutely incredible plane!Steve :-wave

Geoff, this is a lovely plane, I really like the sense of "Being there"!One question.. where did you find the altimeter?I really like that is has anti-aliased needles (no jaggies).I'm trying to find out if anyone has documented how to program a gauge to achieve this effect..Again, great plane (and you cannot beat the price!)Thanks, and regards,

Bert

Hi Steve,I'll take a crack at this one. :-)For Real Life pics of Geof's Debonair, see this post. His plane does look like it just rolled off the assembly line. His ultimate goal was to have this plane rendered as close as possible to his real one. I feel he has achieved this. :-)http://ftp.avsim.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboa...rum=DCForumID47Also, there are probably some repainters out there that will start the blasphemy on Geof's plane as I write this. :-lol :-lolI saw a cool blue one already painted at Flightsim screenpics forum, so your wish will most likely be granted.As far as opening a company. I think there are enough of those around already don't you? I would rather see more freeware developers release more Debonair's, Falcon's, Fouga's, and Socata TBM 700's (Fly!II), than to see more payware planes, but that is just my own humble opinion.One last note. Rumor has it that James is dropping out of school to restart the VC on this puppy.. :-lol :-lol :-lolHope this Helps,Joe :-wavehttp://home.attbi.com/~jranos/mysig.jpg http://avsim.com/hangar/air/bfu/logo70.gif

CryptoSonar on Twitch & YouTube. 

No, I hadn't used the alt hold prior to that. I tried flying it again, and from my experimentation, it seems that the a/p is locking whatever vertical speed I had when I turned on the a/p. I turned off the a/p, trimmed for a 500 ft/s climb, turned it back on (never turning on the alt hold throughout the process), and then I couldn't trim it for a steeper climb nor for level flight.Hmm, come to think of it, my startup flight has FSD's Commander, so tonight when I get home I'll try changing that to a default plane and giving it another try.And I may have a clue what causes the incessant beeping with the autopilot: if I turn off the a/p "on/off" switch, and then turn off the a/p with the red 3-way switch, I don't seem to have any problems. If I don't bother with the "on/off" switch and head straight for the red 3-way switch, I seem to get the beeping and lingering wing leveler. I don't know if that's the case every time, but I'll experiment more with that.Thanks for all your help,John Taylor

Yo Sonar!Totally agree with you about the freeware. I was just trying to compliment Geof to the highest - this is payware quality, better than some I have purchased.Thank goodness we have people like Geof to bless us with their talents for free.Thanks,Steve :-wave

Those comparison pics are beautiful. Your actual plane looks beige colored, where the sim version looks bright white

I was judging the colours off by photos that Geof had sent me. Are you using reflections on or off? The aircraft will look white in some areas (especially the nose) because of the amount of reflectivity used :-)http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/edenw/fs_banner_je4.jpg Think highly of yourself, for the world takes you at your estimate -Anon

I made all the instruments (except the vors-I found circular compass type gauges did not translate well) from photos of the real instruments in my plane using the .xml feature of fs2002. It is tedius but if you get good photos (which often took me many times) you can put the photos into a paint program-take apart the components fs needs and thus have a "photo real" instrument vs. the usual hand drawn ones. The newest version of fspanel (I wish it had been out the last 9 months) actually makes this process almost painless.http://members.telocity.com/~geof43/geofanim2.gif

I'm still getting the same thing even w/o third party a/c in the startup.But now my question is: is the a/p supposed to lock the vertical speed? The manual says:"Pressing the AP on/off button engages the wing leveler (Yes this is really the way it works in real life!). This is handy for after takeoff when the plane is trimmed and set and atc calls you with a new clearance. The plane will basically fly as you have left it by pushing only this button."This might infer that turning on the a/p will hold your current vertical speed, but I didn't see anything that explicitly states that. If it's supposed to, that's cool -- I just want to make sure.I do have another question about the a/p, though. The manual says that if you press the heading dial you can set your heading with the heading bug on the HSI. Does this dial have any purpose if it hasn't been pressed? If it turn it to the right or left with the heading mode enabled, then nothing happens. If I turn it with the heading mode disabled, the plane banks to the left (even if I turn the dial to the right).Thanks again for all the time & effort into the plane, as well as answering our questions and concerns.John Taylor