Sign in to follow this  
brucek

Question on Windows XP - Virus Hoax.

My good wife got a message tonight from a well-intended friend of hers informing her of a virus that she had been sent, the file is jdbgmgr.exe. She deleted it, as instructed by the hoax e-mail. It was in C:WindowsSystem32 (Windows XP).Apparently it is some form of Java file. Almost all of her graphics applications now don't work. I also have this OS, and tried moving my file to her system, however no luck so far. It appears once only in my system at the above location, but she believes it appeared in various locations in her's; however she has color printers and several scanners attached.Has anyone heard of this hoax, and is there anything that can be done to recover her system?Thanks for any help, and sorry for the off-topic. She's just real upset :(Bruce.

Hi Bruce,It surely is a hoax. Check:http://vil.mcafee.com/hoax.asp Look under "jdbgmgr.exe hoax" Deleting the file shouldn't have any adverse effect on your system (unless you debug Java!).Andy (YSCB)

Guest Milio_B

Here, re-downlaod the Microsoft VM, that'll restore the file...same thing happened to me...http://www.microsoft.com/java/vm/dl_vm40.htmI hate it when stupid people don't have anything better to do thatn:create a virusmake a virus hoaxhack someone's computer...can't they get a life???

Thanks Andy,I downloaded the MS VM and isntalled, all seems OK now (Phew, I can fly tonight!).Thanks very much, you guys are the best here on the forums.Bruce.

Thanks Milio,Tried your suggestion and it worked! And I so agree with your comments re- virus makers!Thanks so much, man- you saved my life- and more importantly I get to fly tonight! (Wife says "thanks" too).Bruce.