Sign in to follow this  

Wind direction Question

When the wind is at 90 degrees, for example, does that mean winds are blowing from east to west or west to east? Basic question, but key to flying you would think.-DK---David KohlFly! II v230Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 1024MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v28.83, WinXP Home Edition.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

Hi David, If the wind direction reading is 90 degrees (or 090 degrees), then the wind is coming From the east, towards the west. Hope this helps!Cheers,Ken WoodCNN International Weather :-sun1

Kenneth E Wood Jr  🌪️🌩️

ex AG1, USN (14yr Vet) Weather Foecaster

So to make sure I've got it, if the wind is set in the Wind direction screen under "Weather" to 90-degrees, one should takeoff from or land on (theoretical) Rwy 09 instead of Rwy 27.Right?-DK----David KohlFly! II v230Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 1024MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v28.83, WinXP Home Edition.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

The only problem is , if you use the atc or c4to they normally assign the wrong runway, even if you have the wind at 090, this is something that I couldn't fix even change the database of Fly2. If somebody know how to do it pls let me know.b.rgdsCesar

For me c4to works great and gives me the right runway, even with metars.Regards,Rodger :-wave

Cesar,C4TO will just about always assign the proper runway. If you load a surface wind direction and the level just above the surface is also flowing in a similar direction, you will be assigned the closest runway that aligns with it.If you load a metar and the wind just above the surface is a different direction, C4TO will assign you a runway that is best-aligned with the wind-flow above the runway, not the heading at the surface. That is appropriate, as that is the wind that will affect you on takeoff - the other will have more of an affect during taxiing.Finally, metars are still sometimes misinterpreted by Fly!II, therefore the wrong info is being passed on to C4TO on occassion. We are trying to resolve some of the metar issues in Beta.

Randall Rocke

Dear Randall"If you load a surface wind direction and the level just above the surface is also flowing in a similar direction, you will be assigned the closest runway that aligns with it".Oh maybe this is the answer, I will check tonigh, tks Randall,as you are very familiar with Dbase in Fly2, when you have a chance pls try to change the pattern of AI in Fly2 to see what happen, I know that your computer get low with AI aircraft, anyway pls try sometime.best RgdsCesar

Hi Dick and Cesar,Be sure not to select a wind speed of 0 at ground level, otherwise C4TO may assign the wrong runway. If you select wind speed 2 for example, you get the right runway as well as you don't suffer from a substantial cross wind.