Sign in to follow this  
JimD737

Maybe not a big deal to some, but really cool for me.

Guest Philip Olson

Hi all, This past week I took a trip to Colorado, on one leg of the return trip yesterday we flew in a 767. After the flight came to an end I asked the captain if I could look around the cockpit, he said sure and after a little bit of friendly chat I told him that I was working towards my PPL and he said in that case have a seat. So there I was sitting in the left seat of a 767 and I realised that I knew where everything was and what I needed to do to get this bird started and flying. Yes I know that it is more difficult than that, but still here I was in a big aircraft and I could make sense of it. Pretty cool! The only reason that I knew these systems was because of FLY!, yes I played with MSFS before FLY! came out but play was all I did. FLY! for some reason drew my attention to wanting to learn all of the instrumentation and the proper way to fly. I guess it worked. If any of you get a chance take a look at a real cockpit and see just how much you have learned from this sim, it may not matter in the real world but you will get a feeling of satisfaction.Philip

Guest chezz

Hi Philip,COOL indeed. I myself also wanting to seat in a real cockpit and a 767 cockpit is some kind of an experience.Good luck to your PPL.chris salviejorpll

A friend of mine, who also has Fly II, had his first lesson last week and the instructor marvelled at how good he was. He told me he was at home with all the controls.Me want lessons now.Steve

Philip,After you get your PPL, I'll suggest this: ATOP.Although you may never fly a 737, taking off and landing in a full-motion 737 sim is a blast! It gave me a greater appreciation for what the guys and gals do at the pointy end of the airplane.The cost is steep but if you want diversity in your flight experience, consider it. It might be a nice self-congratulatory gift when you do complete your training. :-) Like me, you may have to wait to hit the lottery. On the other hand, that's alot of Instrument money/time.I'll also suggest some basic aerobatics (in an aerobatic plane, not the 737 sim) :-)http://www.b737.comCheck out my website for a writeup I did afterwards.http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jpdonlin/atop.htmRegards,