Sign in to follow this  
Guest DSandberg

Is there another way to import METAR files?

Since the multi-player function on flyII continues to be unavailable, is there another way to import a METAR file to use with fly2?Thanks,Chris Catalano

And I would add to that - the best way is to use Infometar (info on Infometar and its use in the Fly!! FAQ post above).Infometar will go get the latest metars (or translate them for use in Fly! from other metar sites), "thin" the metars so you get better results in Fly!, save the amended metar to the proper Fly!II Metar directory and improve performance.

Randall Rocke

Great! Can you give me a link to infometar? The only one I can seem to find in the file library is a version that is for use with Fly & Fly 2k - not Fly2!. Thanks guys!Sincerely,Chris

Chris,That is the link! Infometar is for downloading and working with metars - it doesn't care what sim you're running.Be sure to study the FAQ on how to set up Infometar with Fly!II - Fly!II still has metar bugs, so David's suggestions are important.

Randall Rocke

Guest DSandberg

Hi Chris!Like Randall says, the one in the Fly 1.0/Fly2K section is the right version.The only reason I haven't asked the AvSim File Library manager to move the current version of InfoMETAR (1.01) into the Fly II library is because it doesn't automatically recognize and find Fly II when it is installed (whereas it can find the earlier versions automatically ... this is just because Fly II wasn't out yet at the time of 1.01's release). When I get around to releasing another version of InfoMETAR, I'll add code so it can find Fly II automatically as well, and then I'll consider it "fully" Fly II compatible.The only problem this causes for now is that you'll want to configure InfoMETAR manually to find Fly II's METAR folder ... my article in the FAQ in this forum describes how to do this in the very first paragraph.I hope you'll find the program enjoyable!- David Sandberg[br][br]infomsig.jpg

Tried it tonight for the first time on a flight from Cleveland to Atlanta! Absolutely LOVED it! Worked PERFECTLY! Thank you SO MUCH for all your VERY HARD WORK!Sincerely,Chris

Guest DSandberg

Great! You're very welcome.- David Sandberg[br][br]infomsig.jpg

Hey David,From the numerous cloud and and wind layers that I'd get with the MP weather download it seemed like it was using TAFs instead of METARs. Do you know if my assumption is correct or not? Or if Fly!II even recognizes TAFs? If it does that could make for more realistic weather conditions and might be a consideration for your next version of InfoMetar.John S. MorganReal World: KSFF, Cessna 152 994JP, Student 16+ hours.Virtual: Fly!II, KPHX, AWVA, PMDG Boeing 757-200.

John Morgan

"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

Guest DSandberg

Are you sure you're getting winds aloft layers from the MP server? I know there is no way to load TAFs into Fly ... it only knows about METAR format. Winds aloft can be set programmatically (I didn't realize this myself until very recently), but Fly! doesn't recognize any standard data formats for them either.- David Sandberg[br][br]infomsig.jpg