Sign in to follow this  
Guest Eagle

Making the default Fly!II better!!!

Hello, I see some great shots coming from users of Fly!II, (I come FS2002) and I am of the opinion that Fly!II is better. I want to know how to make my Fly!II virtual world better? e.g Sceneries, tweaks to the render.ini etc. I see some reat clods too, I do I set these up because the default clouds don't look that great! Any help is gladly taken! Thanks, Matthewoh yeah..Fly!II Forever

Great to have you around, Matthew!There are a number of cloud tweaks in the library that make a big difference. Check out the links in the First Time Fly!ers post at the top of the forum page - I believe the links to some of the cloud sets are under item 8. Many of us use Jure's Big Mamas and other sets and get great results.Also, the sky can be tweaked for different appearances. Do a search for "sky" under Fly!II Scenery, and you should find all of the sky sets, like "Skyfire", "Bluesky", "Marc's Sky", "Happy Sky", etc.Be sure you're patched up to Build 230.

Randall Rocke

I just got MS2002 off my Dad, he told me to try it out as Im always going on about Fly. Im still with Fly II. I did enjoy MS2002 as a flight sim, but it doesnt have the panache that Fly II has. So enjoy the sim and be amazed at how you can develope your Fly II to the best thing you can do with your computer.Steve Brown

Oh,oh.................. I've seen that "other sim" mentioned twice now & the "blood pressure" is Arising!! he,he :)L.Adamson

I wouldn't mind trying ms2002 but I don't want to waste my money if I don't like it. Would anyone mind letting me try a copy? I could send a money order for shipping and handling. If I like it I'll go out and buy it. If not I would save some money.Send me a E mail.Robert

Robert,To get the ultimate enjoyment out of FS2002, it requires a knowlege gained from using the program over a period of time. It also requires some of the great freeware & fantastic payware available to see just what's it's capable of! And at the same time, the amount of graphic capability available is scaleable with your CPU power. Now to the facts--------------- Right out of the box (with a half decent CPU), FS2002 will run with good results much better than FLYII out of the box. You won't need a series of downloads, reloads, & fixes! But like I previously said, you'll also have NO idea of what it's capable of right out of the box!!What I've just told you about FS2002, also applies to me & FLYII; when it comes to knowledge of the program & the time involved. Right out of the box, it's a disappointment to me. But as time's gone by, I see some real nice improvements such as the "Socal" scenery shown by Sonar 5. I have a great interest in "photo like" mountain reproduction, which this scenery appears to have. Based on that, I downloaded this large scenery file last evening. I will also now go to the trouble getting new clouds, water, etc. to farther enhance the experience. Who knows............. In the end, I might write very favorable postings of FLYII, just like I use to with the original FLY. In the meantime, I'll still get defensive of FS2002 when I see comments from those who obviously don't have much real experience with it.As to loaning a copy of FS2002, it's purely illegal. Someone could sell you their copy provided it was erased from their hard drive. L.Adamson

I think you should stick with FLYII. It is only when you are not 100% happey with a flight sim when you then have enough "drive" to try something else.Michael J.

Guest Dean

Based on that, I downloaded this >large scenery file last evening. I will also now go to the >trouble getting new clouds, water, etc. to farther enhance >the experience. Who knows............. In the end, I might >write very favorable postings of FLYII, just like I use to >with the original FLY. That's it, this proves it!The world is coming to an end! Left is right. Up is down. Black is white. Larry likes Fly II and I like FS2K2.I just finished a hardware upgrade yesterday and last night the first thing I loaded to test the new rig was "the other sim." With everything between 80-100% the visuals are specatacular. For the first time since owning FS2K2I found myself looking forward to using it again. The visuals just seem to make all the little things I didn't like less important. FS2K2 may be scalable but it really takes good hardware to make it shine. Certainly new hardware has changed my view of it. I will always be with Fly II but FS2K2 has earned a place on my drive.

:-lol :-lol :-lol Today is actually the first time I bothered to program all of FLYII's switches & knobs into my joystick! This is truely the END of the World!!L.Adamson

Guest Dean

Larry,What scenery is that your showing? It looks different than Matt's Socal.

>Larry, >>What scenery is that your showing? It looks different than >Matt's Socal. It is Matt's SoCal scenery. I just downloaded it last evening. L.Adamson

Guest tonyc

Not so fast. I too have fs2002 on my hard drive, yet I still gravitate to FLY2.tony

>Not so fast. I too have fs2002 on my hard drive, yet I still >gravitate to FLY2. >I tend to think a lot of it has to do with add-ons also. For instance, do you have 3rd party payware such as the Dreamfleet Archer, FSD Cheyenne, Flight1 Cessna 421, as well as mesh scenery etc.?It was a TerraScene sample of the KSLC mountainous area that really got my attention with the original FLY. FLY always had the better than ordinary panels but not enough else to sustain my desire to use it until TerraScene. Up until now, what scenery I saw in FLYII was rather drab & didn't look all that great on my 22" monitor. It was Sonar5's pics the other day that got my attention........... and now I find this Southern California scenery add's a lot of realism to my flight simming.........although the file is "huge" and the area is small!Whenever we're comparing sims................ what are we comparing? Default's, or the sim with many of the available extras? You see, as of now..... I feel differently about FLYII. This scenery from altitude is fantastic & won't be seen to often in FS2002. But on the otherhand, FS2002 has excellent airport enviroments that make you feel as though you're there, as well as some always improving virtual cockpits, aircraft exteriors, and other features.I'm just finally happy to see something I really do like with FLYII in addition to it's cockpits which I've always admired. I'll continue to now use both sims............. with less derogatory comments on this forum :)L.Adamson

Guest daves0

or when the price is right :)I just bought Fly 2 for $8.99Its pulling me away from MSFS2002...at least for awhile.just from eyecandy...2k2 has it beat by a long shot.>I think you should stick with FLYII. It is only when you are >not 100% happey with a flight sim when you then have enough >"drive" to try something else. >>Michael J.