Sign in to follow this  

Videocard

I am currently using the old GeForce256 DDR 32Mb and am thinking about upgrading. Now, from what I remember about one of the initial Microsoft interviews concerning FS2002 was that FS2002 utilized no more technology than was available on the GeForce 2 cards. In fact, they did not recommend the GeForce 3 cards for that reason. With the GeForce 2 Ultra, I would be getting the best GeForce card available. It has 64Mb of DDR RAM which is twice what I am using now and would allow me to fly at 1600x1200x32 instead of the 1600x1200x16 which should improve my visual quality. I have found a GeForce2 Ultra on the web for 99 bucks.Now, despite what Microsoft initially said, is there any reason why I should go to the GeForce 3 or 4 cards. Perhaps because of better FSAA implimentation or something? Any advice would be appreciated.

Guest PaulL01

>I am currently using the old GeForce256 DDR 32Mb and am >thinking about upgrading. Now, from what I remember about >one of the initial Microsoft interviews concerning FS2002 >was that FS2002 utilized no more technology than was >available on the GeForce 2 cards. In fact, they did not >recommend the GeForce 3 cards for that reason. >>With the GeForce 2 Ultra, I would be getting the best >GeForce card available. It has 64Mb of DDR RAM which is >twice what I am using now and would allow me to fly at >1600x1200x32 instead of the 1600x1200x16 which should >improve my visual quality. I have found a GeForce2 Ultra on >the web for 99 bucks. >>Now, despite what Microsoft initially said, is there any >reason why I should go to the GeForce 3 or 4 cards. Perhaps >because of better FSAA implimentation or something? >>Any advice would be appreciated.Well you can compare the specs of the two side by side and you should see a pretty good gap between the AA performance of the two as the GF3 had the new HRAA (NO thats not "Hot Rod Association of America"!) that would be High Resolution Antialiasing.The best reason I would recommend a GF3 over a GF2 would be Anisotropic filtering; the GF2 is limitted to just 16TAP vs. the 32 and 64tap thats available on the GF3. Anisotropic filtering allows you for a far superior image as it filters and clears up the dithering used by mipmaping.You will have to force this with a tweaker program like GTU, though there is a performance hit for using Ansitropic filtering at 32tap (recommeded) IMHO it is well worth it.without Anisotropic filtering and a -0.1 LOD adjustment on the mipmaping this image would show very blurred scenery in the mid to far distant areas:http://www.frontiernet.net/~pleatzaw/images/50k.jpgPaul

I am using an "original" GeForce3 (not Ti series) on a P4 1.8 gig machine. I run my video at 1600x1200x32. On my web site (url below) are numerous screenshots which will demonstrate what this combination can do. See the "Fast Systems" page in particular

>Anisotropic filtering allows you for a far superior image as it >filters and clears up the dithering used by mipmaping.Hey Paul,Wow! That shot of Chicago you have included is incredible. Man, what detail. I see what you mean by Anisotropic filtering.If I jumped up to the GeForce4 cards, could I utilize Ansitropic filtering at 32tap without the performance hit like with the GeForce3?Thanks,Rob

Hi Rich,Your screen shots look impressive. I have added your site to my favorite's list.Thanks,Rob

Guest PaulL01

>>Anisotropic filtering allows you for a far superior image as it >filters and clears up the dithering used by mipmaping.>>Hey Paul, >>Wow! That shot of Chicago you have included is incredible. >Man, what detail. I see what you mean by Anisotropic >filtering. >>If I jumped up to the GeForce4 cards, could I utilize >Ansitropic filtering at 32tap without the performance hit >like with the GeForce3? Yeah, that IS he question everyone would like answered; as GF4TI are having a problem with anisotropy. According to published reports the GF3 is kicking out 30-50% more fill-rate than the GeForce4 when anisotropic filtering is enabled! :-eekI wish I had more info on this that I could share, but I do know Nvidia is aware and are trying to fix the problem via new drivers.If you HAD to have a new card right now I would recommend a GF4TI4200 as they are being shipped out finally and at about $200 or less you really cant go wrong.Paul

Hey Paul,I will probably hold off until the Fall when the AMD K8 is released and Nvidia are to release their GeForce 5 equivalent (supposedly in August).Thanks for the information.

Can't agree with you more about the value of anisotropic filtering...I only have a GeF/2, and even 16 Tap yields a great picture. I generally fly with 16 tap and a LOD of -.5 32 tap really looks great!John

Guest aca_dia

I just went through the same process. I have a P3 800 and had a Geforce 2 32mb & 256mb ram. I upgraded to 512mb ram and a Geforce 4 4400 128mb. It pretty much doubled my frame rate at 1024X768 and was not all that costly.

Did you stay with your P3800?

Guest PaulL01

Dont get mislead, there isn't and wont be a graphics card made that can "double" your framrate in FS2k2. Why? Because FS2k2 is about 75-80% CPU bound.Even IF a certain graphics card were actually 100% Faster than your last card then you would might see a 10-12% improvement in FPS in FS2k2. But its not, and you wont.What you will see is tha ability to run at higher resolutions with AA on without much of a performance hit, and thats where these cards shine. :)Just dont want you to expect to much from an upgrade here, as many have been disapointed as there expectations where too high based on a lot of hype like "My frame rate is twice as much" etc...Take Care,Paul

Exactly Paul. That was my understanding. I would guess that FS2002 is more like 90% CPU. With my GForce DDR 32MB card, I figured that I was near the bottom of the performance ladder. I was hoping that with a faster card that I would be able to switch views faster with my hat switch and that sort of thing and also be able to impliment 32bit color as well. I would not expect more that 1 extra frame per second per 10 frames. The initial AMD K8 will be released in the Fall starting at 3.4XP+ Gig, and that should be about right and at least doubling my current framerates with my 1.2G Athlon.Can't wait!