Sign in to follow this  
Guest Colins2

Fly 2 will not install

Guest daves0

I just bought Fly2 from Sam's Club for $8.99...couldn't resist at that price, unfortunately I have not been able to get it installed.The autorun screen pops up, then the initial setup box where it says it is setting up autoinstall..it then stops at 99%..nothing else happens...I've tried it 4 or 5 times...I can hear the CD accessing, but nothing else happens...I am currently copying the CD content to my hard drive to see if it works from there.Bad CD???Fly2 maybe doesn't work with XP ????

No fly2 does work with windows xp. I have installed in like 3 times. Maybe someone else can answer your question. To me it sounds like you have a bad disk. Rich might beable to help you with the bad disk.

I'm running XP and it's installed great for me, except for the one time when I was installing it while having other programs open like Internet Explorer and so on... So make sure you have all background programs closed (unless you did this already) Hope you get it working.Jason

I recently installed Fly! II on WinXP Home and haven't had any problems with it. However if you install patches afterwards make sure you do NOT run the game in between, instead patch it up to the final 230 patch first...But it seems like that is not your problem so I am not sure.However, I recently thought of a trick to find defects on a CD. I'm not sure it works to 100% but I hope so.Try searching for all files on the disk (*.* in the filename field) and the text in the file should be whatever garbage (like "hsfuhithosgibkjbk"). Again I'm not sure it'll work but it should be able to search through all files on the disk this way and possibly find defects on it.I think the problem is something else, though, as it stops at 99%... That's kinda suspicious.Dave

Jason's suggestion is a good one. I have often found that installation programs in Windows will mysteriously freeze until I shut down an application that seems to be blocking the process. One notorious offender is Microsoft Outlook. Make sure you shut down apps like this if you have them before you install Fly!II. I hope you solve your problems...its well worth the effort!

Guest daves0

thanks everyone...I never did get it installed from the CD, but copying it to the hard drive workd....the whole install seemed very slow....in addition, I applied the 210 and 230 patches...these took nearly 10 minutes each...it was the slowest install I've ever seen...there must be something in my system causing a problem...I don't run a virus checker, also had all programs off, at least that I could turn off, but there are 18 programs running that are system programs...way too many...I'm not sure which ones are safe to shutdown in XP...guess I could just turn them off one by one and see what happens :)The CD itself seems to work ok...the files pop right up in explorer...I did the search deal, but that didn't come up with anything weird.Oh well....at least its in....is it possible to use higher screen res than 1024x768 or is it display dependent???

Guest Colins2

Do you have an AV program running? (especially Norton)This has been known to stop install programs, not just Fly! either.Just to confirm another question, Fly! works great with XP.Colin

Well... You can use 1280x1024 but it's really a "fake" resolution, which means it is based on 1024x768 and then just uses Antialiasing to interpolate it to a bigger resolution. I might have some facts wrong here but anyhow, I would recommend 1024x768.Dave