Sign in to follow this  
RandallR

Randall Rocke-would you check out the 5.5 ILS at EGLC?

RandallI'll need to do some Dex editing to slightly re-position London City for my new scenery so I've had a look at the Rwy 10/28 approaches.City is surround by buildings and therefore has 5.5deg ILS's. These are not currently implemented in Fly!2, the database shows 3deg.I've just changed the 'Glide Slope' settings in the ILS.POD to 5.5 but when I fly the approach I'm still getting a 3deg GS. The GS starts about D6.7 out but it should start at D3.4with the steeper angle. Can you check it and see what I'm doing wrong? Does Fly! support a 5.5deg GS?Docs can be found at http://www.ais.org.uk/uk_aip/aip/pdf/ad/EGLC.htmDaveT

Guest andrewluck

DaveThis is one that I looked at some time ago with Randall. It would appear that Fly! ignores the glideslope angle and uses 3 degrees. Here's to hoping that the beta team will crack this one for the next patch.Flew out of EGLC last sunday on Vatsim. A very intense short flight to EGSS speaking to 5 different controllers during the flight. Transgressed slightly by using the Socata. Andrew Luck18 miles SW EGSH

Thanks Andrew-I'd missed that you and Randall had 'checked out' that approach and what's that- a 'single' allowed in!-don't you also have to be one of the 'approved STOL' twins to use it(in real life)? Sunday is 'quiet' at EGLC though isn't it, you're allowed to cross the zone and 'have a peep' at 'the big metropolis' on Sunday mornings before the airliners start around midday.Keeping away from Heathrows approach of course.You hear quite a few Cessna and Pipers asking Thames Radar for transit on Sundays.I flew back for holiday into Luton at 2am the other day and we came across the centre of London because Heathrow had stopped.I decided then that I did need to do a 'night image' for my London scenery after it reminded me of how wondeful all those lights looked like!DaveT

Hi Dave,As Andrew stated, we checked this out some time ago and discovered that Fly! wasn't recognizing any slope beyond 3 degrees.It was immediately added to the Beta Team "Do-list" and is in process. Let's hope for the best.

Randall Rocke

Guest andrewluck

Hi DaveYou mean you've never seen one of my STOL takeoffs in the Socata :-) One notch of flap, brakes on, throttle up, brakes off. It's in the air in no time. If I end up in the dock at the end of the runway then it's my lookout!Looking forward to your London scenery. There are some London models in the Fly! pod files already, although, if they're anything like stonehenge then they'll need rescaling.Andrew Luck18 miles SW EGSH

Thanks for the replies-it would be great to fly the 5.5deg approach,particularly if we can get some buildings into London someday-like Canary Wharf at the end of City runway 10!I got my London scenery out to Southend and was really pleased when Southend airport arrived exactly where the Fly thinks it should be. However when 'podded' Fly played the trick that's been causing Colin so much grief-it wouldn't show the 'meridian' crossing scenery (ie I got 255-170NE but not 000-170NW quarter tile). So I'll be playing with Colin's new 'Terrain Fixer' utility next week to see if I can get it to appear.Anybody got any idea's as to the best way to make 'night scenery' when the source is a photo using PhotoShop? I suppose I'll try dropping 'light blobs' (small white pixels) where I can see buildings and making most of them slightly yellow. Will that give me a good effect?DaveT

You might want to repost your night-lighting question in the Developer's forum. I've used Terrascene to render all my night lighting to date (and Globe Tiles in Fly!2K)

Randall Rocke