Sign in to follow this  
rodger

May be Rob Young can help?

Hi all,I have a little problem with the Skyhawk. After applying Rob Young

RodgerYou might take a look at the wind direction. Could be that you are just being blown off course.My problem is I can

Meco,thanks for your suggestion, but this happens even with no wind at all.Rodger

Rodger,Have you been aligning the needle with the new course indication when you pass each station on your flight plan? The Cessna (following the realism that TRI tries to create) does not have the more advanced AP systems of the other aircraft. The AP will couple to the GPS but it will not center the new course on its on - you must help it by turning the OBS until the needle is centered on the new course - the AP will then turn and follow that course.The 172 is a light aircraft and responds quickly. The ones that I flew in the real world didn't have the luxury of an AP, so I don't know if the rendition in Fly! is too "twitchy" or not. Also, the Cessna's AP has no ALT hold, so you will need to maintain this on your own (trim & back-pressure) while the AP is applying its turn.When I fly the 172 with the GPS linked and am approaching a course change, I know that the quick turn of the Cessna is going to cause altitude loss for a moment (again, just like the real world). I put one hand on the stick and the other on the NAV1 OBS. As soon as we pass the station, I begin turning the OBS to align with the new course - the aircraft immediately banks and tries to follow it. As soon as it banks, I immediately add back pressure to maintain altitude (nice and gentle - easy does it) - when we are on our new course I gently release back pressure and see if my trim setting will hold. You will need to make a slight adjustment on the trim from time to time - if you have it set well, an occassional "tap" on the trim keys is all it takes.

Randall Rocke

Hi Randall,thank you for your reply, it is much appreciated. And thanks for the tips in flying the Cessna. But yes, I did everything you mentioned, and I know about the AP in the Cessna. If I fly it manually without GPS or NAV mode (what I do most of the time) there is no problem, but as soon as I use these modes, the problem I mentioned before arises.I don`t really know about the realism, because I