Sign in to follow this  

Runway Changing Question

Is there a better way to change the length of runways to match airports? I don't have access to exact coordinates for both ends, any suggestions.My project is to change KSJC. A new runway has been opened up and the old one has closed recently and I have airport diagrams ready for new taxiways as soon I get the runway to match.Thanks for any suggestions,-Matt

Matt,What you're talking about involves editing the database. This is a little complicated in the beginning, but it will seem like old hat after awhile. There are some database editing tutorials available that cover the basics, and a couple of us are working on some in-depth tutorials.Check out the links at the top of the Developer's Forum for some basic info on DB editing. A basic tutorial is also available in the file library - it covers ILS-editing, but many of the procedures are similar.I hope to have a portion of the more advanced tutorial available by September.

Randall Rocke

Guest Colins2

Matt,What coordinates do you have access to?There'a a program in the library that I wrote ages ago for calculating offsets to a known position. I'm not sure where it is, but probably in the developers section or navigation.It's called Fly_distcalc.ColinI found the link :http://ftp.avsim.com/library/sendfile.php?DownloadID=8474

Matt,A quick note - for accurate information about U.S. Airports, Runways, Approaches, Navaids, etc., you really can't beat Airnav.com.

Randall Rocke

Great that's exactly what I need. I have already got the database thing down, I just don't have exact coordinates as it asks for at each runway end. It would alot easier if it did things by exact runway center.Thanks guys!-Matt

AirNav.com did just the trick. Now I have one last question, coordinate translation.In the Fly! 2 Database Editor, the old coordinates for one end of the old runway are reported as:37'21.24.9899 NAirNav.com's new coordinates which I need to add are formatted as follows:37-21.13533 NI'm missing a set of digits here, what should I do to correct this?Thanks,Matt

Never mind. Colin, your fantastic little tool fixed the coordinates properly and my new runway is now finished and up to date with the real world.Thanks for the help guys, both resources worked perfectly. Look for the improvments to be released in the AVSIM file library soon. Now I need to craft new taxiways which will be easy.-Matt