Sign in to follow this  
Guest mmcevilley

WinXP Users: Compatibility Mode may increase stability

A technical friend of mine, seeing my "winrun.cpp" errors (I get them just about 1 in every two or three times I fly) suggested that I try running Fly!2 in Windows ME compatibility mode. I tried it tonight using the B777 (PMDG) on a flight between KDEN and KSLC. I also used C4TO.The above "formula" almost always creates a WINRUN.CPP error (flying with the 777, C4TO and scenery with lots of TM's).To my surprise ;) I got no errors - landed without incident!Its too soon for me to tell, but figured I'd pass along the suggestion. Anyone else with these errors - please see a related post] and contribute your suggestions. I'll, of course, keep you all posted as I try this technique for a few weeks.L8R....-DK----David KohlFly! II v230Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 1024MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v29.42, WinXP Home Edition.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB. [/font

:)You mean Win2000 though? I don't have ME listed here.Dave

> :) >>You mean Win2000 though? I don't have ME listed here. >>Dave Hi Dave,I use XP-pro and Windows98/ME IS listed.BTW I do`nt think it helps to use these options.Lots of fast memory will.Leen de JagerEHRD

forumlogopaintmod.png

"Non licet omnibus volare cum aquilis" (Azzurro)

Visit Flybike-Paints

Yea, I realized later that it might exist in XP Pro. I have XP Home however. :)Dave

>Yea, I realized later that it might exist in XP Pro. I have >XP Home however. :) >>Dave Strange is that.David Kohl spec`s are:Fly! II v230Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 1024MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v29.42, WinXP Home Edition.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.This runtime error issue is I think, the most discussed one of all.It is always different and there are thousdands of idea`s to slove the problem.David has 1024 RAM OK but is it being used properly ??I run a Pentium3 1GB at about 500mb ram and a 64 mb video.Why, I do not know but have seen the problem just a few times.GreetzLeen

forumlogopaintmod.png

Visit Flybike-Paints

Hello Leen old friend!Before I get into this subject matter, I must tell you what a good job I think your doing with your repaint projects. They look great. I've been keeping up with your progress. It's very nice to hear from you.Now back to the subject at hand. As you can see from reading the related post that Dave refered to, I too was having a lot of trouble with the Winrun.cpp error. I disconnected my Norton Antiviris System as suggested and had some success for a while but then the error came back with a vengence. I too receive the error during flights at approximately once every three flights. Very frustrating to say the least. Now, when I use the simulator, my frame rate at the start is OK and amooth but during the flight, usually during approach, the frame rate decreases and then I crash to the desktop. As you suggested a while back, I now run "EndItAll and Freemem.exe", and I still get the Winrun.cpp error. I'm running Fly!2, v230, on a Dell, PIII/733MHz, 256MB ram, Nvidia GF4-Ti4400 (128MB Ram card), v29.42, Win98SE, CH yoke LE, no pedals. In the hopes that more Ram will help, I am about to add another 256MB of ram for a total of 512, and will change my operating system to Win2000. I refuse to believe that 128MB of on board video ram is not sufficient for running Fly!2.I have used many different render.ini configurations, but nothing seems to help at this time. I am hoping that once I add more memory, things will get better! If you're not having that many problems, I would be interested in trying out your render.ini settings. You have my email. Would you be willing to pass it on to me to try out?Thanks for listening.Curtis

Hi Curtis nice to hear from you.There is noting special in my render.ini.It is like the ini`s under FAQ`s.I am sure ( i think ) that the runtime errors are NOT a specialvideo-settings-ini-settings-problem.It in my opinion a memorymanagement-problem.I just got myself a new machine just for FLY2.It is the only thing running on this PC.Just XP-Prof and Fly2.Never seen this before , goes like a rocket.It`s only a 1Gh Pentium lll with 500Mb ram and a GeForce MX440.64 Mb.My son Michiel has an Athlon 2100 ( 1.7Gh )and an 128 GeForcewich is a littlebit faster and I did not hear him complain abouterrors too.So I am afraid I can not help with this issue.Groeten van leen de JagerEHRD:-beerchug

forumlogopaintmod.png

Visit Flybike-Paints

I am a WinXP Home user - and yes, I do have ME listed in the Compatibility Wizard.I have a full Gigabyte of RAM, I'm using a 128MB Nvidia card. I also have cleaned out most of the programs that run in the background, including Norton Antivirus. So I am stumped on why I get so many Winrun.cpp issues.Notice that Curtis and I share one key thing in common - Dell PC's! I wonder if there is something about how Dell handles memory management?....Anyway, like I said, I will post again in a few weeks based on "success" with this change.-DK----David KohlFly! II v230Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 1024MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v29.42, WinXP Home Edition.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

I guess I'll jump in and say that I've run Fly! II on two Dell machines now and I've never seen the winrun.cpp error. I run Fly!II with many add-ons, including C4TO, but perhaps one difference is I've never used a PMDG aircraft. Just thought I'd respond because I've been so pleased with my Dell that I can't bear the thought that a Dell would be causing others problems. Has there ever been a response from TRI on the root cause of winrun errors? By the way, here are my specs:Dell Dimension 2100Pentium 4 1.4 ghz512MB RAMGeForce3 Ti200 128 MBDirectX 8.1WindowsXP ProfessionalCH Products USB Yoke and Rudder Pedals

Thank you Leen!! Just thought I would ask. I hope that my decision to upgrade the RAM and OS on my machine is going to help my frame rate. Getting that FPS 4.00 bug is a bummer!!!Thanks again.Curtis

I'm quite confused about this... Do I have a different version of XP Home maybe?In the About box it says:Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpclnt_qfe.010827-1803)Hope I can get anything good out of this... But the only alternatives I have are 95, 98, NT 4, 2000.So David (nice name :)) could you just tell me what version you have, if you have a higher version number I might be able to understand. :)Dave

When I go to the SYSTEM control panel, all I get is "Windows XP Home Edition, version 2002" Not sure where there is an "ABOUT" box.-DK----David KohlFly! II v230Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 1024MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v29.42, WinXP Home Edition.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

Well, it was a good thought.... :-(----------------------------------------------------------------Msg: Runtime execption code c0000005 (EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION) at address 53373737File: WINRUN.CPP line 165Time: Thu Aug 08 19:57:50 2002errno = 2 (No such file or directory)----------------------------------------------------------------Msg: Runtime execption code c0000005 (EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION) at address 23011F6BFile: WINRUN.CPP line 165Time: Thu Aug 08 21:01:11 2002errno = 2 (No such file or directory)----------------------------------------------------------------Wish I could figure this one out. I am so frustrated, I'm actually considering starting all over with the "other" simulator. It's gotten to a point where flying with FLY is not fun anymore. More frustration than enjoyment.I'm going to try running with Win2000 Compatibility now. But I'm less excited than last night.NOTE: The errors above both occured while flying the B777 with C4TO running. The first one on the ground at Milan Linate (with Italian Airport TerraModels). The second error occured at about 24000 passing over the Swiss Alps. In both cases, the errors occured as I switched from cockpit (interior) view to Spot Camera (exterior view).-DK----David KohlFly! II v230Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 1024MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v29.42, WinXP Home Edition.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

Ah... It's a standard Win trick. Just open any folder, click Help -> About. :)Dave

Guest mmcevilley

>A technical friend of mine, seeing my "winrun.cpp" errors (I >get them just about 1 in every two or three times I fly) >suggested that I try running Fly!2 in Windows ME >compatibility mode. I tried it tonight using the B777 (PMDG) >on a flight between KDEN and KSLC. I also used C4TO. >David,You beat me to the punch!I was experiencing winrun.cpp errors and was unable to detect any pattern to the errors (except for the error that occurred every time I flew the Shore Visual to 13L at KJFK).So, I happended to be looking around the executable properties options and noticed the "compatibility" mode. I selected WIN98. I have not had a winrun.cpp error since and I have flown that Shore Visual several times without any hiccups.FWIW: my winrunn.cpp errors occurred without anything else loaded (I boot in a 'sim' configuration that does not load anti-virus s/w and other unnecessary services). I also was not using any add-ons or scripts. I am running WinXP home on an ASUS P4S533 mobo w/1.6GHZ P4, 1GB ram, ASUS GEForce2 64mb video card.-michael