Sign in to follow this  
Guest flightpro08

What do you like about FSMeteo?

Guest adlion944

I was wondering what everyone likes about FSMeteo. I don't think I understand the full use of this add-on. I thought it gives real-time weather, but isn't that feature built into FS2002? I can just download the real weather for my airport. Is FSMeteo more advanced?Most people say they can't do without FSMeteo, I'm not sure what extra features it adds to the game.Also, does FSMeteo affect frame rates?Dave

Guest adlion944

Not to further complicate things, but I just got FSNav and I'm overwhelmed by it's complexity compared to the built-in flight plan creator.What exciting features dos FSNav has that I shouldn't miss out on?I love the tower relocate feature. Much easier than going into FS2002 map view!Dave

Fsmeteo can update the weather for you in the background every few minutes so that your weather can keep be up to date during the flight, where as the realtime weather you have to stop and reload it which isnt as useful, also the weather you get with FSmeteo is alot more accurate I find.Im sure others will tell you its good points.Craig Kiltie

Guest GabrielR

not a response another question:When using FS meteo and aproaching to an airport, if I hear the ATIS transmition will it reflect the current weather conditions at the airport, just like the built in function of MSFS?

Guest joea

Yes, if you check an option in fsuipc "send atis ..." something forget which exactly check the fsuipc manual.

Dave,What FSMeteo adds in addition to what others have said is real-time weather. The default MS Real-Time weather is downloaded from a weather server that Jepp maintains. I believe that weather is updated pretty often. However when you load real weather for your FS2K2 flight you get a single "look" at global weather. As others have stated you can update this by pausing your flight and reload.FSMeteo working in the background with FSUIPC downloads the weather from a National Weather Service site every six minutes and updates the weather for your plane's exact location in addition to the winds at all alitidues which is much more accurate than a single look. In addition the temp and pressure graidents are also updated.FSMeteo also adds a function called transitions. That is the weather does not make big swings in conditions unless you turn this function off.I have worked with Marc P from day one on this project of his and I can't tell you of a more dedicated flight simmer who is always helpful and wants to contintue to improve his work.CheersBob JohnsonDenver, CO

Guest adlion944

Does FSMeteo impact frame rates since it's running in the background?I haven't noticed a hit with FSNav. I'm just skimming the surface of that great program.With FSMeteo, does it handle cloud layers and "smoothness" between altitudes better than the default Jepp download?Other than updating the weather dynamically, does it do more than that? What is the website?One last weather-related question... does flying through a cloud layer really play havoc with the altimeter and airspeed indicator? When I'm on autopilot and descending through a cloud layer, my autopilot hunts for the right settings because the airspeed and altitude starts fluctuating big time. I notice this on all my planes, jets and props.Dave

Dave,In essense, Meteo looks every 6 minutes (or at whatever interval you set) for the airport nearest your position on the planet (if there is nothing closer ... it uses the last airport's weather data .. like if you are flying an extended overwater leg)Sometimes there can be large baro shifts and large wind speed/direction shifts (crossing frontal boundaries or jet stream) ... the impact of which can be smoothed adjusted by tweaking either Meteo or FSUIPC, so the effects are lessened. The AP in PIC, PSS A32X and DFF all seem to handle the baro shift quite well ... same with wind shifts .. I have experienced no difficulty flying into clouds or into major wind shifts. (I fly usually 737, 767 or the new A320/319 usually at fl310 to 370 ... always very windy and really cold up there)It has no effect on frame rates that I can perceive.. but once every 6 mins, goes off to the internet, finds the data and updates the MSFS weather variables ... If you want you can use the Meteo Gauge (a separate $$ add on) which I do in PIC and DF without any apparent frame-rate issues. (you can see the airport fwom where the weather originates and see the actual data rather than just the effects of the data)I check the upper level winds and SigMet for my flying area and I can tell you in over 50 flights in the last 3 months Meteo has been "spot on" with upper level winds and rain, clouds, etc ....I think this is as real as it gets ...

I think the most amazing aspect of FSMeteo is Marc's dedication to making it better. I can't remember when I bought it - maybe two years ago if that is possible, but Marc releases updates frequently, even when it's hard to believe it can get better! In all the time I've used it (probably thousands of downloads), I can only think of two times I had trouble accessing the server, and even then it was temporary. I sometimes wonder/worry if Marc's business plan can really sustain the operation indefinitely. ;-) I keep thinking he'll release FSMeteo2K2 or something so I can put some more money back into this great addon!David

And you can save the weather conditions and reload them later, something you can't do in FS with Real Weather (something which irked me when I came across a real neat set of weather circumstances).