Sign in to follow this  
Guest Hagar

Euro scenery made easier

Guest Hagar

First there was only...runways and one land type.After 4 hours work with Colin`s Terrashape and a CAD program...I had all roads & rail corrected, waters, farmlands and missing cities rendered in. A few Terrascene sessions later I had it almost right. Just a few touchups needed in my paint program, taking 30 minutes now, not a week.Want detailed Euro scenery made quicker ? Use Terrashape and a good map !Pic is Gardermoen (ENGM), Terrashaped & Terrascened with my crude old beta airport scenery :)This Terrascenery is made for Roy`s upcoming Airport scenery.

Guest Jan

Looks great Andrew.Other Norwegian airfields in your plans?Take care :)Jan

Hagar,Great news that someone uses Terrashape!Colin has given us a great tool here, I don't have the time now to use it, beeing in my own project, but I hoped that someone would try the great possibilities it offers! And you did!!! :-)Even US people should use it to correct wrong datas, and to draw the airport surrounding as you did!Cheers!Pascal

Guest Hagar

Jan, fact is I was looking West for a new project...but still havent`t decided on the airport :)

Guest Hagar

Pascal,It is great design power, and the process is fast. Just need some more expensive maps now...arrghhThe ability to draw the airport surroundings is what I use most, correcting a whole globe tile is too much work. Areas with many fjords is still a nightmare :)

Guest ben_

Looks great AndrewAny chance of a simple series of images showing beginning to end sequence , with software/data required at each stage? Certainly looks like it would be great for all parts of the world.ThanksBen

Guest Jan

Andrew,if you'r looking West I would suggest something ending with ZV.Take care :-hah JanPS Then "ZV" could look more like this::)

Guest Hagar

Ben,You should try Colin`s manual, it does exactly what you ask for :)Link: http://www.avsim.com/hangar/fly/colins2/If you get stuck I`ll do my best to help you out. I cannot answer questions on TS/USGS data since I have never tried it, I work only with shapefiles, and GTOPO30 elevation data now and then.I learnt Terrashape rather quick, and after going through a couple of tutorials in the CAD program I was there.

Guest Colins2

Hi Andrew,Thanks for the kind words :DI know that TerraShape can appear daunting at first, but once the basics are grasped, it should be easy enough.Certainly, I find it easier than image editing.Colin

Guest ben_

Thanks, I'll have a look now.Ben

Guest Hagar

Colin,Terrashape has become a habit :)I can now make one quarter tile in a day instead of using several weeks in the paint program. It is fun again, instead of being a struggle, and saves me a HUGE amount of work.Cheers,

> I can now make one quarter tile in a > day instead of using several weeks in > the paint program. Will you be sharing the fruits of your efforts with the AVSIM community for those who do not have even a "day" to make a quarter tile? Perhaps you can post the "do-it-yourself" data files that one can upload into TerraScene?-DK----David KohlFly! II v230Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 1024MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v29.42, WinXP Home Edition.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

Guest Hagar

David, It is no need for me to re-invent the wheel...the Terrashape manual explains it, and even shows screenshots of the process in color. Shortly, you choose a whole globe tile in Terrascene. Then you use Terrashape to convert this data into a dxf file for the CAD program, in order to see the airport and tile boundary. Then you use Terrashape again to add the shapefiles you want to edit to the project...edit them as layers in the CAD program and convert them back to shapefiles. Back in to Terrascene I now set my project to a quarter tile, and that`s it.I`m not quite ready with my home page, so check your mail for the shapefiles !

Thanks. But like many of us, my time to Fly! is limited to only a few hours per week due to family and work commitments. I use TerraScene for US scenery often b/c I can literally pick an airport, draw boundaries, and hit RENDER- the PC does the rest.But for this type of work, it'll require hours in front of the machine during which time I'm not Fly!ing.So if at some point you get the files "zipped" and can create instructions for TerraScene users to literally unzip them to specified directories, and then hit RENDER, I would be the first to jump at the opportunity to integrate your wonderful work into my Fly! environment.-DK----David KohlFly! II v230Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 1024MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v29.42, WinXP Home Edition.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

Guest Hagar

Yeah, lucky you, everything on Auto while I have to struggle with all those programs all alone ;)Its no problem creating those simple instructions, but my point is the Terrashape process itself.I am starting to wonder if this is a good idea for whole globe tiles, they are too big to upload, so shapefiles & instructions would be the way to upload a complete tile. Or finished tga`s packed as jpg`s like Paul van Roy`s excellent scenery...just need to slice it.But I don`t think everybody does TS, so I will keep on uploading complete airport quarter tiles with models, all podded.Check your mail, I sent you shapefiles and instructions.If you get into trouble I always lurk around here :)