Sign in to follow this  
michal

Who's FLY!ing and from where?

I did some research on the use of Fly!II. Here are my findings.DownloadsFeature update # 4 is an update that every user needs, whether he has the American version or the European version. The number of downloads of this update is 21.049.So if everybody has updated his sim, there are at least 21.000 people who bought Fly!IIFeature update # 1 was only for the American version (or European downloaders) and the number of downloads of this update is 10.370.Also an update that everybody should need is the update to version 230. However this update was downloaded not more than 7.948 times. Although it is not available for Macs, I cannot imagine that there are so many of them.AVSIM PollAVSIM held a poll, that noted 5.936 reactions. Of them 192 say they use Fly!II as their primary sim and 26 say they use Fly!2k as their primary sim.It is a pity that there was no question about other sims used. I suppose a lot of people are using Fly! next to an other sim.Allen Kriesmans pollAlso Allen Kriesman held a poll in which he asked who was using Fly!, whether as primary sim or not. Remarkably not more than 183 people (doubles are not counted) said they do. Because the question was broader than that of AVSIM, the number of people is less. May be this has something to do with the holidays.I made an analysis of the home countries (I do not succeed to get the figures neatly in columns :-grr ):USA 97 53,0 %Australia 10 5,5 %Germany 8 4,4 %Canada 7 3,8 %United Kingdom 7 3,8 %Norway 6 3,3 %The Netherlands 6 3,3 %France 5 2,7 %Sweden 4 2,2 %New Zealand 3 1,2 %Belgium 2 1,1 %Brazil 2 1,1 %Denmark 2 1,1 %Italy 2 1,1 %Japan 2 1,1 %Scotland 2 1,1 %Switzerland 2 1,1 %Argentina 1 0,5 %Austria 1 0,5 %Emirates 1 0,5 %Finland 1 0,5 %Indonesia 1 0,5 %Mexico 1 0,5 %Philippines 1 0,5 %Spain 1 0,5 %Turkey 1 0,5 %Venezuela 1 0,5 %Unknown 6 3,3 %When I see the list, than there are a lot of names on it which are familiar to us for a long time. So I do not believe that there is a big leakage of users. Moreover I believe the list is not complete. Some well-known names are missing, such as Paul van Roy, Tod Klaus, Robert Randazzo, Jean Sabatier, Ivan Italy. I think they are still active with Fly!But there are also names which I do not encounter on the forums anymore, such as Grant Millikan, Marc D. Schrier, Capt. Grizwalter, Ozzie Dave, Alan Kaiser, Robert Young, Leon Medado, Jac. Fearon, Dominique Klein, Anthony Merton, Gerhard Scheuerecker, Jure Dolanec, Matt Naragon, Tim Rotunda, Jim Kanold, Chris Ward, Marc Storing, Bjorn Karlsson and Elrond Elvish (both on Allen's list), etc.What happened to those people?

Guest Eagle

Great work and very interesting reading. Thanks.

Guest Fly II Pilot

Hans,Very interesting data. I've also noticed that many of the "regulars" have been missing lately. Hopefully they're still in the "hobby" but just in a different forum.Regards,Alejandro AmigorenaSyracuse, NY

Guest Bjorn

Hi Hans!This was an interesting read...Since I'm listed as one of those that nowdays seldoms appears on the forum, maybe my explanation is similar to many of us.I still love Fly!, but I'm also having FU3 and FS2002.For me personally, I'm very fond of more or less organised flights.I joined a VA a year ago, and they are only using FS so that is one reason.I have also been very active in BFU (first with FU3, but then also with Fly! and Fs2002).Friends like Jure has been going the same way like me :-)However, the Fly! forum is still the only forum that I share with bigger interest (together with BFU forum).Best regards Bj

Hi Bjorn,It is nice to hear from you again. I understand that people are going different ways. I read your BFU roster introductory post and encountered the same enthousiasme as before.Anyway you contributed so many to Fly! a.o. things with Super Quick Gen, that is has become quiet without you (and others). Nevertheless I wish you a lot of pleasure with bush flying and VA. I can understand that time is limited and that you have to make choices.

>May be this has something to do >with the holidays. Most likely it has to do with the fact that Avsim poll was on the front page for everyone to see - however much smaller group makes it to this forum.Hans, I see you have a hang for numbers and statistics. Interesting that such relatively populous Italy is so poorly represented comparing to say Australia. Interesting post.Michael J.