Sign in to follow this  

Regarding the Fly! II multiplayer server - questions to

To Richard Harvey, G.O.D. and the Fly! community,I'm sorry for not being informed about who takes care of the server so far... But I haven't been able to make any qualified guess either.I noticed that www.iflytri.com was down and when I tried to mail Richard Harvey at iflytri.com it also failed (and I still get mail from the delivery machine saying it has not been delivered yet). So it seems like it's TRI hosting it then. The funny fact is that I talked to a System Administrator of G.O.D. recently. That's what makes me a bit confused. Maybe iflytri.com is hosted by G.O.D.? I would like to be cleared up a bit on this topic.Today's flight, the first I have ever organized, that I have been planning for about a week, has now failed. I still intend to make it, but at a later date, maybe next week.As I haven't been able to reach any support, I had to cancel the flight. The only good that came out of this was that a kind flightsimmer guy hosted a Fly! session, and a few guys joined him.I'm quite upset about this, partly because I wasn't able to do anything about this. So, obviously, I'm quite sad that this happened.Alright... So, with that background information, I would like to know - can I estimate a special uptime? Was this a planned upgrade (or similar), and where would I receive information about such "planned downtimes"? What can you do to prevent downtimes like this in the future?I've mailed G.O.D. earlier and asked them if they could think about giving out source code, executables or similar, so that someone in the Fly! community could host the server. I do know there is interest for this. It's just a matter of whether you would do it, or not.If this should have been directed to TRI, then I will send an appropriate letter there, if needed.In any case, my meeting with that System Administrator the other day revealed that in about six months of time, the server will be open only to people with a medical certificate (student license, as he said). He told another guy about this as well.I suggested that they should make a non-pro server as well, so that everybody could fly. He told me that this was not a decision he would make. Regrettably, I did not ask who would make this decision. So, who is making it?I expect there will be quite some response here about that student license requirement. That would keep many people from flying here, unless they get that medical, which indeed costs.Further, I would like to know if you can guarantee any uptime... "By design", as the System Administrator said, there is no Peer-to-Peer functionality in this flight simulator. If this story is going to end like the Fly! story ended, then we're stuck with a flightsim without multiplayer. However I also heard there might be a patch for this in the future. I certainly hope so.TRI, G.O.D. and others who are affected of this story are welcome to mail me at:flightboards@tjohoo.seI am looking forward to hearing from you.Regards,David Vuorio

To those who care about us at G.O.D. & ITryfly.....All of us are working so hard to keep this sim alive and kicking, the planes,repaints,scenery and other programs, not to mention those who have dedicated websites to this fine flight simulation... IE www.flydevelopers.comhttp://avsim.com/hangar/fly/josve/fly.htmlWe want and need this "online flying" Dave worked very hard to set up and help those of us who want to fly in this wonderful way. Can we hope for online gaming with fly to carry on?I have personally spent many hours doing "Heli-Adventures" with the "Online gaming" in mind. As we have the best Helicopters in any sim its an honour to help make more for these topclass aircraft.Please inform us soon, we know there will be downtime on the server, but a short note here in the forum would be all we need.May we Fly always online................SteveMach 2 for fun!My Downloads Are:Liverpool EGGP John Lennon Airport UKhttp://ftp.avsim.com/library/sendfile.php?DownloadID=17455www.yourspaceormine.comhttp://www.btinternet.com/~stephen_g_brown/steve.jpg

so is it just me, or am i misunderstanding all of this. does G.O.D. no longer want any part of us? what about tri? also, what is this about a student licence, not sure if i understood that part or not. however (this is only my humble opinion) i have felt that since the failure of fly!II in the market place we have been on our own. now maybe i dont have the whole story (in which case i probably should just shut up right now), but i feel that it has been up to a few key people inside, and out of the fly!II developers that have kept this sim alive. i feel that it is to those people, the ones who make the fabulous aircraft, sceneries, design tools, "tech support" in the forums, and make the patches, that we owe our biggest thanks too! i feel that without those who have pushed the limits of the sim, and then raised the bar of devolopment have been the ones to keep us enthused about fly! and kept us away from the "dark side of the force":-luke well, i guess that i will get off my soap box now, i have just purchased pmdg's 777.....and i am ready to light the fires,and kick the tires! hope that we get this resolved sometime, but in the mean time, may we FLY! long and prosper;)thanks!!anthony

Well, about the student license... I say it again, that System Admin of G.O.D., as he presented himself, told me one would have to have a medical /student pilot license in order to access the Fly! II server... They say they wanted to create a "professional" server. Nice huh? I hope they either change their mind, or reserve one for us "unqualified" users. In either case, I do NOT think it's fair to remove the MP privilege from a whole group like that.For those who wonder, the server is still down. You can check here for a log containing the status of the Fly! II server...http://flightboards.4gigs.com/fly2serv.shtmlDave

Guest andrewluck

Sound like total rubbish to me.In the UK at least you don't need a medical to start flying lessons and there isn't any such thing a 'student license'. You get your license with your PPL.Andrew Luck18 miles SW EGSH

Hi Andrew,I'm just telling what he told me. And in Sweden a medical is required to start flying lessons. I suppose it's the same in many other countries.Dave

www.iflytri.com is back on, at least. I don't know when the multiplayer itself will be back on, but I hope I can get some response from TRI now...Dave

WELL SAID JOHNNYI tell you its really getting up my "

I feel about the same, although I chose to write it in vague terms. Although, between the lines I hope you see my deeper point... :-)Dave

Ok, let me solve at least some of this issue. First, there is a mantra I need each of you to learn by rote and repeat it every day, at least once:"The Gathering of Developers has absolutely no idea what they are talking about for any question or query involving the Fly! series of products."This mantra will save you many days and nights of headaches. Now, some other facts:(1) Yes, the www.iflytri.com site was run from Gathering servers, because they wanted 'control' over the content. Since they have little to no concern over the product as a whole, I have no idea if this site will ever be maintained or if it has already been abandoned. If it is offline, more than likely they have not noticed and hopefully will reset the machine, or it has simply been dropped. This is not something I or TRI can put back online, because we have none of the assets from their server in our possession.(2) Student medical requirements. I would almost place a bet than 99% of the staff at what remains of the Gathering has a clue what this even is. I can assure you it is untrue. The actual multiplayer servers (that run the games) are all housed and controlled at TRI, and we have no intention, desire, gameplan, or otherwise to restrict ANYONE from using these servers EVER! The only failure on our part is that every one in awhile one of the servers will lock up and it will take us awhile to notice that it has gone down (usually through an AVSIMer e-mailing us). Student medical = urban myth.The bad news is that if their iflytri.com server is down permanently, then I have lost my iflytri.com mail address. I have others, for sure, but I'll need to pick one to be my new contact point for users. I preferred the other because it came directly into my Microsoft Exchange server at work and I didn't need to use a browser or other e-mail tool specifically to check that mail.Rich

Guest Colins2

Rich,Thanks for the update.Not that I want to bother you right now :D but what address will you receive mail on?Colin

Thanks for the contact Rich :-abduct At least we are put into the picture now.Forgive my ignorance :-halo but would it be possible for us to do our own version of on line flying if we had a server to use. Is this legal :-wink2 & would it be possible?SteveMach 2 for fun!My Downloads Are:Liverpool EGGP John Lennon Airport UK.http://ftp.avsim.com/library/sendfile.php?DownloadID=17455EGNR Hawarden (Chester) Airport UK.http://ftp.avsim.com/library/sendfile.php?DownloadID=18370www.yourspaceormine.com http://www.btinternet.com/~stephen_g_brown/steve.jpg

Rich,Great to hear from you... I'm not sure if that guy was kidding (he was first, but when he said that about six months... I took him seriously).That quote... Hmmm... :) Sounds interesting. That's not hard to believe! :D They haven't responded to me yet, either!And regarding your e-mail address, I unfortunately noted that issue. I would be happy if you would have an alternate e-mail address (such as Hotmail). Or, you can get MSN, ICQ, AIM or whatever... Or even use the chat server here at AVSIM. The latter is the easiest, of course.And again regarding the server - I hope we could openly discuss these, or possible more, issues:- Other ways of hosting it (privately hosted server, with some kind of contract then...).- Peer-to-peer functionality patch in Fly! II?- If anything, how can we make sure the server doesn't get down?That are the big questions to me right now.Edit: Could we possibly have some kind of meeting about these issues?Again Rich, thanks for your reply. :)Dave