Sign in to follow this  

PITCH SENSITIVITY

Has anyone found FS2002 unrealistic in Pitch?? I have over 3000 hours PIC and own a Mooney 201 and find this program not very realistic regarding the actual charateristics of flight. If you use this program for recurrent practice of Instrument approaches ILS, VOR, GPS, the pitch is so sensitive it all but makes the Program worthless for training purposes.I have two problems with FS2002PRO.I) The pitch control when flying ILS approaches is too sensitive. I saw in tips that this can be corrected but the tip was not specific enough. It said to add a statement into control CFG file. However I can not find a folder with the name CONTROL. Has anyone out there solved this pitch sensitivity problem? If so how? I have used all the sensitivity settings the FS program provides, and pitch is still very sensitive. Can not fly ILS in any realistic manner with any precision.I have a Duron 1GIG PC 256 mg RAM on board video shared mem. Logitech Digital Wingman controller. FS 2002 Frame rate set at 52 FPM. I see from 27 to 47 FPM on the approach.I had a CH Flight Stick that I thought was the problem and changed to a Logitech Wingman... no luck. NOT WILLING TO MAKE ANOTHER CONTROLLER CHANGE.2) On the Bravo IFR panel the attitude indicator (AI) does not have an adjustment knob to set it to level flight. Does anyone know how to adjust this instument? Is there a patch for this problem? Again not realistic. This instrument must be adjustable for level flight.

Not to be sarcastic, but what kind of product did you expect from MS?If you are looking to get Aircraft that are as close to real as you can get your going to have to pull out your C-Card and purchase them or do a extensive WEB hunt for some quality freeware.Here are a couple of trails for you to follow.http://www.fsd-international.com/http://www.dreamfleet2000.com/http://www.phoenix-simulation.co.uk/http://wilcopub.com/intro.htmand here is a couple of free oneshttp://ftp.avsim.com/library/esearch.php?D...&CatID=fs2002achttp://ftp.avsim.com/library/esearch.php?C...Root&DLID=10917I havent flown my MS default aircraft for several months know they just arent active enough for me.Hope these link help you.Below is a Airbus 320 by Phoenix-Simulation enjoy

Thanks for the reply HiFlyin. I had my reservations regarding FS2002 but a review by a pilot induced me to purchase it. I have been flying for training purposes one of the first sims for pilots, called Flight Deck. Still use it, but the realism advertised my MS turned my head. Oh well! With the commercial downloads you purchased, is the pitch still sensitive?

It is more managable. Their is a utility by Peter Dawson availble in the library called FSCUIP or somthing like that that will assist you in sensitivity issues.Also FSUIP will work with visibilty issues as MS and 60km vis is a burden on frame rates, you can set it down as far as 1 mile horizontal vis and it will stick and not need further resetting.I belive the link for that utility is.http://projectmagenta.com/ chek in the DOWNLOAD SECTIONRead the DOCS carefully first, it has made the difference for me as well as other FSimmers.

It is difficult to disagree with HiFlyin. I haven't tested all commercial add-ons but you should expect a "predictable" aircraft behaviour in all axis.BTW, you can try this free aircraft which has a fabulous flight model and should give you a taste how things could work .. It is ERJ-145 by Bill Grabowski and you can get it from www.fsnordic.net. There is also a forum devoted to this aircraft over there. My personal favorite is 767PIC (the forum is next door here on Avsim) but is is not a GA aircraft. But everything about this product is simply heavenly.Michael J.

It's easy to adjust pitch sensitivity, through a simple edit in the aircraft.cfg and/or through the utility mentioned (FSUIPC).The aircraft.cfg edit is entered in the section as:elevator_effectiveness=x.x (where x is a number--the lower, the less sensitive).Emulation of pitch sensitivity and roll sensitivity, is not an exact science when one is dealing with dozens of joysticks on the market, all calibrated to different degrees. The aircraft.cfg entries have served as a great way for me to tune the aircraft around my joystick...Hope this helps....Regards,John, KPHX

My take on this subject. I'm NOT close to 3000 hrs PIC, but I have made it a point of getting used to "light on the control's" type of aircraft such as the Pitts S2B, homebuilt aerobatic aircraft, & the Marchetti 260. Also many years of R/C where light touch on the sticks makes all the difference. This and the fact, I've been using these simulations for ages seems to help out in not over controlling pitch or roll............... default or 3rd party. In fact, the defaults are a bit stiff when releasing roll & pitch. The exception is the Lear, which is from the "old" FS2K. It was horrible in pitch stability & I expect it's still true. I believe it's just a matter of getting used to the program & our own control devices. I use a Saitek X45 stick which has somewhat of a stiff spring compared to others, & a set of Thrustmaster rudder pedals. I do find the pedals to be essential, as twist grips, keyboards, & rocker switches seem over sensitive to me & a complete lack of "feel" for the rudder process.L.Adamson

Larry,At this point I am actually not sure what the original post had in mind. Pitch sensitivity can indeed be adjusted (as some above pointed out) or one can get used to general feel of his/her control device.However there is also a pitch "inertia" which is what I usually mean by pitch 'sensitivity.' This one has nothing to do with control device or sensitivity settings. Inertia has to do with how quickly aircraft nose will get to the commanded pitch even assuming you managed to deflect the rudder in 1/10 sec - which could well be the case in a simulation due to lack of resisting forces. The real aircraft nose will take much more than 1/10 sec to travel to get where you want it to be. The same principle applies to any other axis.Michael J.

The pitch sensitivity in FS2002 gives new meaning to the expression "Push the stick forward and the houses get bigger"! :-)Fermin

HI "Guardian"We have redone the flight dynamics for both the Land Caravan and the C182s, with much more docile (and we think more realistic) pitch response, along with a whole lot of other refinements. The C182s also comes with 3 different metallic paintjobs.All are free. Available at www.realairsimulations.comBest Regards,Rob Young

HiMy PIC hours are 0 :)I got Rob,s airfile for the 182,And its a pleasure to fly.It Conveted me to GA in fs2002.Granted I have no frame of reference to compare it with the real thing, but it just feels so nice to fly, the violent Pitch controlof the default is replaced with a smooth response which Has a great feeling of inertia as you pull back.Also you might like to check out Mike Hambly's sounds for the 172 they make such a difference the file name is "BA172".All the bestJohn