Sign in to follow this  
RandallR

An Adventurous Approach into Skiathos (pics)

This is an especially enjoyable destination if you have PMDG's Greek Airport scenery. The approach is the VOR-DME-NDB Rwy 02 into LGSK. Note that you begin the approach at the Skopelos VOR above a nearby island. You then proceed outbound on the 205-deg. radial to the 10.0 DME indicator, then make a right teardrop turn and intercept the 10-deg. bearing to the Skiathos NDB for the final descent. This brings you into the runway at a 30-deg. angle.

More images on final to Skiathos are posted here on the screenshots forum: http://ftp.avsim.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboa...rum=DCForumID47

Randall Rocke

I posted a reply to that thread in the screenshots forum, with some real-world pics I took while flying there on my PPL training... (under the hood) ;-)

Lefteris Kalamaras - Founder

www.flightsimlabs.com

sig_fsldeveloper.jpg

Saw the pics - they're great. BTW, I need to make a correction on this approach - the final bearing should actually be offset about 10-deg. to the runway (not 30). It's just that they don't call NDB approaches "nonprecision" for nothing. ;)

Randall Rocke

Oh, yeah - they're "nonprecision" alright... that reminds me:When coming back from that trip (VFR - not IFR, just pretend-IFR), the FIS advised me to report when over Tanagra NDB (TNG). Like a good pilot, I always double-check using my trusty GPS, to make sure I am correct at my IFR assumptions... (is this cheating?), so I punched "TNG" in the GPS as well, to have a second cross-reference.Sure enough, after about ten minutes, the GPS was showing I was right about over TNG. I tried and tried to find out why my ADF wasn't showing anything (it was rolling round and round)... nothing...I finally gave up, and contacted FIS again, thinking they might consider me a dufus... but - what the hey- I might as well ask:"Athinai, this is SX-AEC - please confirm TNG NDB is operational"."SX-AEC, Athinai - negative, Sir, this NDB has been non-operational over a year now, due to a malfunctioning part".Internal question in my head: "So WHY, you $%%#@'s do you want me to report over the NDB, ESPECIALLY when I am a VFR flight, and ALSO, right when there is a VFR reporting point just over a MILE to the west of that IFR point?"See, it always helps to double-check and cross-reference stuff in your head... ;-)

www.flightsimlabs.com

sig_fsldeveloper.jpg

Which reminds me - the only approach into little Kithira (LGKC) is a Locator approach (KIT). As I shot the approach last night I could not receive the Locator (turns out the Locator didn't exist in Fly!II). :-)I have now imported the missing Locator and will test it tonight. This is the second of the airports included in your package (outside of the situation at LGAV) that had a missing navaid or needed adjustment for the approach in Fly!II. (The other was an ILS for Thessaloniki (LGTS).Did LGKC and LGTS already exist in Fly!II when you made the scenery? If that's the case, I'll go ahead and upload the updates to Avsim. If either of them are purely PMDG's creation, then those updates should probably be shared under the same parameters as the fixes for LGAV.

Randall Rocke

Randall-go ahead and upload your updates. We missed the locator for Kithira. However, the same didn't happen for Thessaloniki - the new ILS (for runway 10) only came into existence after the product went out to production. ;-)

www.flightsimlabs.com

sig_fsldeveloper.jpg

Lefteris,Before I ship something out that isn't complete, where can I get data on the new ILS Rwy 10? The corrections for LGTS I was referring to had to do with adjusting the localizer and DME for the ILS DME Rwy 16 approach.Every resource I've gone to so far only shows a VOR-type approach for Rwy 10 (including Makedonia's own web site). Any ideas on this, or is this approach not active yet?Thanks!

Randall Rocke