Sign in to follow this  

Engine startup (Piper navajo Chieftain in Fly!2K)

Hi, I have just started using Fly! (actually Fly!2K... my system isn't up to running FlyII). I was very surprised by the oevrall quality of this flight sim. Very impressed. Up to now, I have used only MSFS (using version fs98 now) and tried many of the other flight sims. Fly! is the most impressive yet, compared to MSFS. So, still learning. My latest little problem is starting the engines of the Piper Navajo Chieftain. I used E to learn the sequence. Then I tried manually, but the engines would'nt start. When I look at the top panel during the manuel sequence, the fuel gauges show empty! Even if I fuel up again and try again, the gauges still show empty.(so maybe that's why the engines dont start). I noticed that when I use E, the gauges DO show fuel in the tanks, and of course the engines start.Any suggestions?

Guest DNelson

It sounds like the fuel selector valves are either set to "off" or are selected to empty tanks. I haven't flown the Navajo for a while, so this is from memory. The Navajo has two tanks in each wing, which you can see in the aircraft fueling set-up screen. The fuel selector valves are located directly below the main panel view. The gages above the panel do not show the total fuel on board, but rather the fuel quantity in the currently selected tanks. Therefore, if you've selected an empty tank, or the selector valves are set to "off", the gages will read empty and the engine won't start.Dan

Are you running the latest version of Fly!2K, Oshi? The Navajo had a small problem with the Alternator switches on your lower left-side panel. There was a patch released strictly for that problem, and I think *The* final patch release from TRI had the fix in it. So if you are not running V.88 you may need to update your sim. If you have already uipdated, bad for me :-) as I am at work right now. PLease let us know if that was the problem, or if we need to investigate further!Cheers!Ken WoodMeteorologistCNN International Weather :-sun1

Kenneth E Wood Jr  🌪️🌩️

ex AG1, USN (14yr Vet) Weather Foecaster

I would give a hearty "second" to that - to experience Fly!2K at its finest, you need to be updated to the SDK 1.01.88 "Developer" or "User" level. If you aren't, download the v88 patch from the file library.Then, if you haven't done this yet, download ALL of Rob Young's fantastic "v88" remakes of the default aircraft. These will give you tremendously better flight dynamics and other features. As you may have gathered from the name "v88", you will need to be patched to that level to use these aircraft and many other updates and utilities for Fly!

Randall Rocke

>Hi, > I have just started using Fly! (actually Fly!2K... my >system isn't up to running FlyII). I was very surprised by >the oevrall quality of this flight sim. Very impressed. Up >to now, I have used only MSFS (using version fs98 now) and >tried many of the other flight sims. Fly! is the most >impressive yet, compared to MSFS. No offence, but using FS98 as a yardstick to measure MSFS by, doesn't mean much. It really is "dated" by todays standards and It wasn't one of my favorites either! Used Pro-Pilot during that time. FS2002 is quite different, but a machine to run it in all it's "glory" helps..L.Adamsonorignal FLY, FLYII, and all the MS's

Hi Dan,I checked the fuel selector valve positions (both left and right) with respect to fuel tanks. Everything seemed ok. The selector valves were both on "Inboard tank" and these tanks had a half load of fuel.Still the gauges on the top panel showed empty.Thanks for suggestion.

Hi,The version 88 question is something I knew nothing about. I searched the file library for a patch called v88 or something similar and didn't find any. Not able to determine if my Fly!2K was version 88 or not, I simply download two v88 planes (the navajo and the hawker) and tried them. They worked fine. Can I then conclude that my Fly!2K is version 88?... However I still get the same problem in the navajo engine startup.Thanks for the v88 information.

Hi,I agree with you completely. A friend has MSFS2002 so I have been able to see it. It is a world apart from fs98. My comparison has to be interpreted only with respect to fs98. I also tried Pro-Pilot a while ago, but it would often freeze on me when it crossed scenery boudaries (I believe). Flight unlimited II would freeze after a few minutes of flight, every time. Fly!2K has the distinction of not having frozen or crashed on me, NOT ONCE, after numerous flights where I have used just about everything: flight planner, ATC... etc.Thanks for the comment.

Hi,Two things that you may have missed, turning on the fuel valves and/or turning on the master switches. I believe the fuel gauges will show empty unless both of these items are properly set. Make sure that you have some fuel in both of the inboard tanks, and move each of the valves to their inboard position. Turn on the master switches too.The fuel valves are on the lowest screen, and the master switches are on a separate screen to the left of the pilot.I hope this is helpful.Regards,