Sign in to follow this  

Foggy morning at Meigs

It must be advection. I don't know what the word means, but it's the only one that sounds right to me here. Radiation is a little dramatic. :)Dave

Guest captbulldog

That's some weird stuff. Radiation sounds like a type of fog that would surround or originate from a specific place.

Hey Preston,Well... Radiation to me sounds like the type of thing you have in nuclear reactors, or whatever... :) But of course, there are different types of radiation, including light. Hehe... The word radiation might have some other meaning that I don't know of, though...Dave

*scratching his head nervously*Radiation Fog?!?Take care Mike

Hi BartYou surely gave your fellowmen a cheap laugh here "radiation fog" !!But nonetheless....I do think it is "radiation fog"...though it might have a more correct name. this kind of fog is often seen in the early hours just before and after sunrise. During the night,the groundfacetemperature drops and when the temperature reaches the dewpoint, the air being close to the ground, develops these low "clouds" called fog.Unfortunately I do not know the exact english name for this kind of fog, but here in Denmark it

Guest DSandberg

I just pulled out one of my books on meteorology (in English), and it refers to this type of fog as "radiation fog", so I think it's probably considered the correct terminology. The colder overnight ground temperature "radiates" to cool the air very near ground level to its dewpoint ... hence the name.By the way, I'm not sure what type of fog is in the picture. Probably safe to say it isn't upslope fog, but beyond that I'd be guessing.- David Sandberg

Advection fog is very common near the coasts where it can move inland and quickly blanket an airport. (convection means to move something vertically, advection means moving it sideways.)Radiation fog frequently forms over areas of vegetation during clear calm nights.Steam fog (heated swimming pool early in the cool morning is an example)