Sign in to follow this  
Guest Colins2

HELP!!! TERRASCENE NIGHTMARE!!!!!

I tried to download a large tile of the Boston area today. Worked fine. Booted up fine in Fly2. I had a previous make-shift version of the airport & city installed at the time in 3-D models & planes. After the Terrascene was done, I opened Fly2 & the new USGS tiles were there, but now I wanted to delete the old buildings I made with the Fly2 scenery generator. However, NO MATTER WHAT I DO - I can't delete the buildings!!! They keep reappearing every time I load Fly2! I have tried EVERYTHING: I have deleted the folder D205161 in the Data folder (DEFINITELY the correct name), I have tried deleting the project in my terrascene folder, I have tried renaming the Terrascene folder itself to another name so Fly2 could not find it, I have tried to delete everything in the output of my Terrascene 2.1 folder .............. NOTHING WORKS!:-grrNo matter WHAT I try, the Fly2 generic 3-D models that I USED to like - JUST REAPPEAR - THEY JUST KEEP COMING BACK when I reload the program! It's as if the .pod that Terrascene created somehow incorporated these stupid 3-D models into the pod itself - & now I can't find a way to delete the pod file! What file have I corrupted in FLY2? I have all the files backed up so I can easily reinstall a particular file if I need to - but which one? Or - HOW THE HECK DO YOU DELETE A TERRASCENE PROJECT & PUT IT BACK TO THE WAY IT WAS BEFORE THIS NIGHTMARE?!!!!!!Help! Anyone?!Thanks,Chris, the completely, thoroughly baffled & frustrated one :-grr

OK - I found the file - it was in the scenery folder in a sub folder entitled "Boston".Now the BIG qusetion - WHY did Terrascene merge the 3D models into the pod file? I am now able to successfully delete the models now that the I deletedc the pod file. All is barren & empty in this part of my sim world. But why did Terrascene merge the models withthe land?Thank you.Chris Catalano

Guest nycflyer

Chris,FlyII pods whatever is in the relevant scenery folder in the data folder when creating the the TS pods. It doesn't discern which data was actually generated by TS. It's always a good idea to move your data folder out of FLY before running TS, and then return it after TS renders.-----------------------Scott CannizzaroPPASEL-KTEB

Guest chezz

Hi Chris,I learned terrascene the hard way too and it takes a loooooot of patience to master the art (and the result is rewarding).As to your questions I don't have any answer but it's good you were able to get rid of those generic 3D objects. It's always good to back-up your file in case FLY2 acts differnetly :)chris salviejo

Guest Colins2

Chris,Are you sure that TS did that?I really don't see how it could have done.TS doesn't make the PODs anyway, Flyslice does.All TS does is to produce a TGA file that is used by the flyslice process to create scenery tiles.TS takes your digital data and turns it into 1 (very) large image.Flyslice takes the TS image and slices it into tiles.There can be in the region of 16000+ files created by Flyslice if just the day image ans water mask are selected, a lot more if you include night textures as well.If told to do so, Flyslice will also create a POD for you, but only from the files generated during the slicing process.The models must have been in a pod created by another program.Colin

Thanks for all your help everyone.BTW - Scott, did you get my email about the Logan airport question?Is this something you are still working on & will be finishing, or is it something I should maybe try to do myself? Just curious.Thanks,Chris Catalano

I saw the screenshots - WOW!!!!!! It looks sooooooo AWESOME! I can't WIAT to download it! Quick question - coincidentally I happen to download a 12 sq. mile area of Boston through Terrascene today. It looks great. This was my first attempt to do anything like this. So the big question - with my new Boston Terrascene pod now in place, will I be able to use the airport/city pod you have created - in other words, does your pod just sit neatly on top of my terrascene pod - is that the way it works? Like I said, I am kinda new to this.Thanks for all your hard work! I hope I can contirbut some airports for everyone, now that I am starting to learn how to use Terramodels.Thanks again,Chris Catalano