Sign in to follow this  

What would you prefer?

Guest Henri W

Hi,At the moment I am thinking about updating my CabinCalls script. One of the things I would like to add are more extensive checklists. Right now these checklists are automatically produced by the script depending on which flight phase you are in. On the ground this is certainly not ideal, since you have to follow certain rules. If you do something different a call might appear at the wrong time. Therefore, I would like to make at least the ground checklists to be heared after a keystroke command. My question now is what you would prefer: Have all the checklists available upon command or have some of them appear automatically like it is done now. The other in-flight announcements (flight attendents, etc.) will still be generated automatically. Looking forward to your response.Best regards,Henri

Hi HenryI would prefer the automatic version as you would follow the same sequence of events on every flight anyhow.Thank you so much for the update and all the best.Alfred

User configurable - perhaps a config file would give options for auto/manual for different phases of flight.-DK----David KohlFly! II v230Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 1024MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v29.42, WinXP Home Edition.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

Hi Henri,Nice to hear that you are thinking of an update.In general I prefer the automatic appearance. But please state in your read-me file what triggers each announcement. For instance: take off checklist -> when you set the parking brake before take off. In that case you're not suprised by a certain call.Other question. Is it possible to synchronize your calls with them of C4TO? I often get a cabincall and a C4TO message at the same time. In that case I cannot understand the C4TO message properly.Don't forget to remove the repeating 10.000 feet call when you're flying at 10.000 feet, in your update.

Guest Henri W

Alfred, David, Hans,Thanks for the feedback. At the moment I am thinking about keeping most calls fully automated. The idea of a cfg file is good, I might add it in the future.I will give a more detailed description of what event triggers what call. The most important things were already decribed in the readme file, but the description certainly can be more extensive.Interfrence with C4TO is a more difficult issue. I have included some lines in my script that should prevent the reading of checklists, cabin announcements, etc, while you (the pilot) are speaking to ATC (using Alt-C, Alt-S, Alt-R). Unfortunately this does not seem to work in all instances yet. And ATC may always contact you when you are reading checklists or cabin announcements are being made. This happens in real life as well, of course.The repeating 10,00 feet call was repaired a few months ago already, but I never uploaded this update. Obviously it will be fixed in the coming version.What else will I add? There will be calls mentioning the state of gear (up or down and locked) and flaps (up, 1, 2, 5, 10, TO, ...). More planes will be recognized. I will add additional checklist for business planes, like the TBM 700. Checklist for all planes will be modified. A difference will be made depending on the number of engines to start. The above has been included in the script already. What more I will add depends on your and my imagination ;-) I am thinking about a call for transition altitude/level. This would imply that you have to dial the transition altitude first.Finally I will include an update of the airspeed.fsc file (take-off-speed callouts).Best regards,Henri

On keystrokes ! Sometimes, with the automatical system, it makes strange things...But anyway, that sounds very, very good.Yves

Guest Henri W

Yves,I will use a combination of keystroke-induced calls and automatic calls. I hope you will like the end result. At the moment I am focussing on proper checklists for ROTW's Socata TBM 700. This is such a wonderful plane. Incredible quality like all stuff coming from ROTW. You guys make it hard to choose what plane to use or what airport to fly from. Now that I am speaking of it. I would very much like to make the coming version of CabinCalls "ATR-ready". Therefore I would like to know what the menu name of the plane will be. I assume it will contain the word "ATR". Also it would help me a lot if I already could get the checklists ROTW will issue with this plane. Is there any chance you could send these to me. Any help is greatly appreciated.BTW, I am still enjoying the great scenery you sent me.Thanks.Henri

Henri>What else will I add? Don't know at this moment, but are all files accompanied by a .vol file so that you can set the volume?

Guest Henri W

Hans,I am afraid not. I do not know how to do that, so if people want to change the volume of my sound files they have to use the software for their sound card. That should be easy enough, I guess.Take care,Henri

Guest Fly II Pilot

Henri:I'd like to have all of them by keystrokes, nothing automatically... Actually, it would be great if you could come up with a simple pop-up window and you could just choose from one. Something similar to the Fly! II ATC menus?Thanks!Alejandro AmigorenaStratford, CT

Guest Henri W

Hi Alejandro,Some calls will be invoked by a keystroke, some will be automatic. I do not think it would be a good idea if you had to remember to many key strokes. However, using Alt-1 (starting engines), Alt-2 (before take-off), Alt-3 (cruise level), Alt-4 (gate arrival) should be no problem. The other calls will come automatically. I do not like the idea of a pop-up window since it spoils the experience for me.I hope you will like the new version anyway. In particular, I have paid some extra attention to the calls for ROTW's Socata TBM 700. You should be able to start this puppy using the checklists. I have also made the script even more robust and flexible.I hope to upload the new version within a week or so. Any volunteers for beta testing?Cheers,Henri

>Any volunteers for beta testing? Count me in!:-yellow1

Guest Henri W

Thanks a lot, Hans. Expect something in the mail in the next few days. I have to update the description of CabinCalls first. I want to clearly explain what one can expect and what conditions must be met for a call to appear.Modifications w.r.t version 2.2 so far:1. Some calls are now triggered by a key stroke rather than automatically. This give the pilot better control about when he/she wants to hear the associated checklists or announcements. Many calls still occur automatically. Key strokes: Alt-1 (starting engines call), Alt-2 (before take-off checklist), Alt-3 (cruise level announcement), Alt-4 (gate arrival announcement) 2. Additional calls for landing gear (up or down and locked) and flap status (up, 1, 2, 5, 10, TO, ...). 3. More planes will be recognized. (Now: Hawker 800XP, HS125, C29-A, Peregrine, Learjet 35, EMB-120, Pilatus PC-12, Socata TBM 700, Kingair B200, Beech 1900D, B727-200, B737-200, B737-500, B747-SP, B747-300, B757-200, B767-200, B767-300, B777-200, MD-82, MD-83, DC9)4. New checklists and announcements have been added for different planes. The TBM 700 certainly got a special treatment.5. Checklists/announcements for all planes have been modified and sound files have been improved (static noise largely removed). 6. There now is a difference depending on the number of engines. 7. The problem of the repeating 10,000 feet message when levelling of at this altitude has been solved. 8. More robust and flexible script.9. Somewhat less interference with C4TO (silence when talking to ATC).I am thinking of a few more things, but the majority of changes is covered in the list above.Take care,Henri

Henri,Very impressive and useful too. Let it come, so that I can take off.:-rotor

Guest Henri W

Hans,Watch your mail box ;-)Have fun. BTW, I suggest you use the TBM 700 for a starter.Henri