Sign in to follow this  

Is Fly! banned in Greece?

I ran across a news article that states the Greek government "explicitly forbids electronic games with 'electronic mechanisms and software' from public and private places." The news article on CNET states that gameboys and computer games on home computers are outlawed and subject to heavy fines. Don't we have Greek members of our Fly! community? Perhaps you could make the argument that since Fly!II is so realistic, its more of a simulator than a game. Can any from our Greek community clear this up for me? Here is the link to the article I read:http://news.com.com/2100-1040-956357.html?...ne.dht.nl-hed.0

Dan-no - no such problem exists (so far). The said law was passed as a (completely rushed and idiotic) response to a series of severe instances of addiction to slot-machine type video games, where serious amounts of money were spent, with no government control or any type of protection whatsoever against fraud.In its typical manner, the government tried to respond against the public outcry by issuing this law, which is completely ridiculous, as well as way too broad...I assure you, there are no police raids into peoples' homes because someone is flying their favorite Flight Sim...:-)

Lefteris Kalamaras - Founder

www.flightsimlabs.com

sig_fsldeveloper.jpg

Im so glad, that thought would have ruined my day.Stevie :-bat

Hi all.....There is a petition here...http://www.petitiononline.com/comp5932/petition.html15183 petitions so farBut also looking at the MSFS2002 forum there is a lot of miss understanding about what the Greek Authorities were on about.Stevie (Who loves Greece) :-bat

Guest Eagle

>>The said law was >passed as a (completely rushed and idiotic) response Sounds as through they have been taking lessons from our Congressional representatives.

Hi Lefteris,Thats not exactly true. Two people have already been arrested for playing online. Both of them are facing fines of 150,000 Euros (thats $149,630.57 US at todays exchange rate) and up to 12 months in prison. This game is no different than Fly! or any other game, in that its absolutely not gambling oriented.http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/2238242.stmThe law specifically states that:"Operation and installation of any game of type (:(, © and (d) of Article 1, including computer games, placed in public places such as hotels, cafeterias, organization halls and in any other public or private place, is prohibited."Computer games are further defined as:"(:(. Electronic games are those, that depend on both electrical-electronic mechanisms and software."This is an extremely dangerous law - not just if its enforced, but for its intent and [link:www.chillingeffects.org|chilling effects] it will have on the populace. The DMCA hasn't been widely enforced yet either, but its effects (and threats to use) are felt worldwide.Its just another link in the ever expanding chain of attacks on democracy, and shows the complete utter lack of understanding of the internet and technology in general by governments worldwide. We've been discussing it in the General Forum here:http://ftp.avsim.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboa...D6&viewmode=allTake care,Elrond[link:www.boycott-riaa.com]http://members.rogers.com/eelvish/Boycott-RIAA.gif]"A musician without the RIAA, is like a fish without a bicycle."[/font

Hi ElrondFirst of all, Thanks for your reply in the Hangar chat after Pete misunderstoon my post. The thread was locked before I had a chance to respond...and you are right! I never said anything about laughing at the events and I did not mean any disrespect.Now...that law ceratinly is strange and it sure can be misunderstood. First time I read it I thought that all types of any games were banned..then someone said that only gambling machines are banned, then someone else said that computer games were OK etc...so I was readlly comfused, actualy I am still slightly comfused. Sounds like a poorly thought out law.Take careMike

No problem Mike... It definitely came across as way too harsh - but I don't think it was meant that way. As with all things WTC related, emotions tend to run high. I'm sure you're right and he simply misunderstood your post - I'd bet a lot that he meant no true disrespect. At least it was kind of him to apologize before it was locked. :-)I've talked more than a few lawyers in Greece now and they all agree that it fully bans all computer games - public or private. While the wording is indeed a bit confusing, it really doesn't leave much to interpretation under the law. Whats more, their actions in arresting the first two to test the law under EU rules proves their full and complete intent. While they say they aren't interested in enforcing the law in "private" circumstances (breaking down your home's front door for instance), thats standard political speak. They didn't put that wording in there at the last minute for no reason of course.Many arguments are being made that the Greek don't exactly have a tradition of following the rules, so what the law makes illegal doesn't matter... But that has nothing to do with the law being made in the first place. As I assert above, the thing is designed to test the law and how far they can push it in a democratic society. What it leads to and its chilling effects, even beyond Greece, is where the danger comes from. This isn't simply about their gambling problem anymore... Its gone far beyond its stated "purpose" because of its intentional, widely encompassing breadth.Take care,Elrondhttp://members.rogers.com/eelvish/Boycott-RIAA.gif]"A musician without the RIAA, is like a fish without a bicycle."[/font://http://members.rogers.com/eelvish/B...cle."[/b][/font

Hi Elrond. It's cool now, we sorted it out through e-mail...no hard feelings on either side.! :DSo now I understand, I think. All games are banned but they are not going to do a house to house search and arrest people right? That also mean that games will not be available in stores right? so then how will people get games? They will be getting games from underground dealers!I can just see that the illegal (wareaz..or whatever they all them) are going to become very popular in Greece!! :-(Take careMike