Sign in to follow this  
brucek

Took my first solo x-cntry tonite (pics)

Guest Bart

Did 235 statute miles in 2.6 hours. Went from ISZ, VES, I22, GEZ, ISZThis is about 30 miles SW of Dayton, little bumpy going thru here, just came out of Hamilton and Middletown, lot of thermals coming off the streets and rooftops. Got nice and smooth once I got over the cornfields.

One of my checkpoints heading up to VES. 280 Radial TO RID VOR @ 14 miles. Little town east of Eaton, Ohio, no name on the map. Dayton was to the east.

My first stop, VES Versailles, Ohio. 208 Radial TO RID @ 30 miles.

Second stop I22, this one was easy to find, fly IFRR straight to it from VES (IFR=I Fly Roads) (IFRR=I Fly RailRoads) Anyone make out what that is between me and the runway?

Checkpoint between I22 and GEZ. 13 miles on the 350 Radial TO MIE (Muncie, Indiana). Indianapolis is about 40 miles on the horizon.

The REAL right front view out of a 172 :)

SE Indiana at 4500 feet, this was looking east from the lake.

Straight down from 4500 feet, notice the fine treaded tire on 733LK, I call this plane Christine (ie. Stephen King Christine)..it ate a Buick at the beginning of the summer, it actually flies with its own wind correction angle.

Last stop before heading home GEZ, Shelbyville, Indiana.

This is on climbout from GEZ, this is actually the Indianapolis division of the company I work for, have to get my Commercial ticket to fly the execs back and forth!

Almost home, 12 miles to Blueash (ISZ), anyone see the water tower next to the runway at Blueash? I'm heading right for it...

OK here ya go, Here it is with checkpoints

and finally, just happen to fly right over my work coming into Blueash from the west, 6 miles to go and I turn the Hobbs off! Actually had to stop back here to set the tape backup for the weekend...ho hum, just can't get away from that place!

Hope you enjoyed the tour of SW Ohio and SE Indiana as much as I did, if you want to fly this route set the winds at 140@10 all the way up thru 6000 ft. I had a constant headwind coming back from Shelbyville, ground speed was registering 99 knots, I beat the headwind and got it up to 105-107 for about a 17 mile stretch cause I was running out of daylight and had to get movin'. I was flying @ 3500 feet from Shelbyville, I wanted to be at 2500 feet at the south edge of Brookville lake to come in under CVG class B airspace, soooooo, how did I beat the headwind and get the 105-107 with only increasing my rpm by 50?Tell ya in a few days :)up to 23.7 hours, getting close :)Taking the rest of my x-cntry in two weeks, heading east of Cincy to Portsmouth Ohio, post some more pics from that one.c ya :-waveBart flyhelp@zoomtown.comhttp://bartsflyplace.tripod.com/pics/ryans...ight/flight.gif http://bartsflyplace.tripod.com/bart_logo3.jpg

Bart,Thanks for the post! Great pics! Enjoy this part of your training.Looking at the wheel on Christine, and the pitot tube in another picture all make me yearn to get back in the sky.Tailwinds,

Nice shots, Bart! That wasn't an old outdoor movie theatre by any chance?

Randall Rocke

Nice photos Bart! Just keep flying now hehe! :)Dave

G'day Randall,Takes me back a ways too mate but I'll bet London to a brick that it is a drive in. Been to a few in my time. Now there's some memories:-)AND what's with the "old" bit!!! :-) :-)Cheers,Roger @YSSY

Way to go, Bart!>soooooo, how did I beat the headwind and get the 105-107 with only increasing my rpm by 50?Attitude?

Nice pics. I'm flying out of BJC (Jeffco, CO) on cross countries now too, trying for that 50 hour requirement for cross-countries to meet the instrument rating pre-requisite. There's nothing like a cross-country to show you how flying really does work!Just one point- you say you went solo. My CFI would have broken that camera over my head if I was taking photos while I was supposed to be flying with no check pilot along. That said, those pics were sure good!Bruce.BJC, Jeffco, CO

Guest Bart

:-beerchug

I was cruising at 3500 ft coming back from Shelbyville, I wanted to be at 2500 feet at the south end of Brookville Lake to be under CVG class B. I set up the plane in a 100 fpm descent and increased the rpm by 50, recorded my speed at 105, retrimmed at 3500 and broke out the E-6 wiz-wheel. It will take 10 minutes to loose 1000 feet at 100 fpm, how much distance will I cover in 10 minutes at 105 kph?The great and powerful whiz-wheel had 18 knots under the rate arrow, so, I plotted 18 miles from the south end of Brookville Lake, found what radial I would cross at that point from the RID VOR, when I crossed the radial I set up my 100 fpm descent and increased 50 RPM, I beat the headwind for 18 miles and leveled off at my desired altitude at the south end of Brookville Lake. :)It's all in your attitude *:-*c ya :-waveBart flyhelp@zoomtown.comhttp://bartsflyplace.tripod.com/pics/ryans...ight/flight.gif http://bartsflyplace.tripod.com/bart_logo3.jpg

Guest Bart

"My CFI would have broken that camera over my head" I outweigh my CFI by about 100 lbs., that's why there is always more fuel on my side of the plane when we fly together causing that slow turn to the left. :) Besides he's to short to reach over my head!, and he's pretty kewl about that kind of stuff, he understands it's a first time thing for you and you want to remember it and want to be able to share it. Plus, you have photographic evidence you didn't get lost and just flew around for 2 hours!c ya :-waveBart flyhelp@zoomtown.comhttp://bartsflyplace.tripod.com/pics/ryans...ight/flight.gif http://bartsflyplace.tripod.com/bart_logo3.jpg

Hi Bart,"I outweigh my CFI by about 100 lbs., ....."I'm the opposite- my CFI was much bigger. :)I understand regarding the pics, although I may have a different view. I still won't do that, at around 120 hours tt. I take my wife along, she takes better photos than me anyway :)I did enjoy them, however. Never forget the awesome responsibility for safety that the FAA puts onto us when we are PIC.Thanks,Bruce.