Sign in to follow this  

We Need a Gateway Arch in St. Louis!

Anyone know how to, or willing to make a custom model of the famous arch in Saint Louis? It would greatly add to our scenery. I am not sure how to make custom models or I myself would attempt it one day (when I am not making airports for all of you with Terra-models! :-))Chris Catalano

I agree! :) Also nice job on the scenery for St. Louis Lambert Intl if that was you that made it.. (I think it was you) Haven't gotten a chance to try it out yet since I'm still slowly setting up my computer, but from the screenshot I saw it looked pretty good :)JasonOh yeah there was also this thread a while backhttp://ftp.avsim.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboa...rum=DCForumID14Maybe Vin or someone else will consider making the arch :)

Glad you like the screen shot. Your the first one to resond in any way to my four airports. Hope you enjoy them. I wish I knew how to make an arch. Not sure how or I may attempt it myself.Take careChris

I'll enjoy them once I can find the time to get Fly! II all set up again :) Also if you do decided to make the arch I'll be sure to get it! Jason

I don't know how I missed your Lambert and KPIT TM airports and just downloaded them when I saw this thread. I am looking forward to installing them, and wanted to tell you in advance, thanks.

You are welcome in advance! :-)I never did anything like this before (upload files). So this is all new to me. I was a little nervous to upload because I did not know if anyone would like my work. I hope you enjoy them. I really enjoyed making them. My favorites are the Cincinnati & Pittsburgh ones because of all the trees. I hope to make more airports soon.Enjoy!Chris

Hi there Chris I might be able to help you if you are interestedas I know my way around 3DSmax post some pics for me though if you can. Dan

Dan,Actually, it is stainless steel. Here's a description I pulled off the internet from the site I'll reference below:"The stainless-steel-faced Arch spans 630 ft. between the outer faces of its triangular legs at ground level, and its top soars 630 ft. into the sky. It takes the shape of an inverted catenary curve, a shape such as would be formed by a heavy chain hanging freely between two supports. Each leg is an equilateral triangle with sides 54 ft. long at ground level, tapering to 17 ft. at the top. The legs have double walls of steel 3 ft. apart at ground level and 7-3/4 in. apart above the 400-foot level. Up to the 300-foot mark the space between the walls is filled with reinforced concrete. Beyond that point steel stiffeners are used.The double-walled, triangular sections were placed one on top of another and then welded inside and out to build the legs of the Arch. Sections ranged in height from 12 ft. at the base to 8 ft. for the two keystone sections."http://www.nps.gov/jeff/arch-const.htmI lived in St.Louis for 3 years. It would be a great addition to Fly! if you could create this. For pictures just go to Google and type in "Gateway Arch." There will be lots.Thanks!Don

Thanks Don I just needed to find out what it was clad in I will startit to night(should not be too hard to model up. Dan

Thanks for all the excitement guys! It would surely be a nice addition to Fly2. BTW - How does one know exactly WHERE to place the model in the fly scenery? Does one have to look up lat & long coordinates on a real map? I have this problem consistently - how does one know exactly WHERE to place cities themselves. I would like to perhaps try to model Saint Louis, Pittsburgh, or Cincy - but I don't know WHERE EXACTLY tp place the city itself. I makes it hard when working with Terramodels because you either have to specify a distance around the airport, or specific lat & long coordinates. Anyone know how to find out the specific location of a city for Terramodels?Thanks for all the great excitement people!Sincerely,Chris

Nice screenshots! Thanks for sharing them. I am glad to see you enjoying them!Chris