Sign in to follow this  
RandallR

Anyone know how to move a rotating beacon?

Guest dajackman

The rotating beacon at my home town fbo is placed in the wrong location in Fly!2. Anyone know how I can move it. Thanks for any input!

Have you made or are there taxiways existing for this airport?

Randall Rocke

Guest Eagle

I have had the same problem at several airports. The beacon would be in the middle or edge of a taxiway. In one instance the beacon was on the edge of the runway.I would also like to know how to get rid of it. It can't be done through the screen editor.

The beacon is moved by editing the airport center (airport lat/lon) in the airport database. All beacons are placed at this position. This position works for most airports, but some end up in the middle of taxiways and runways. When you change the airport center the beacon will move to the new location.Using the editor in Fly!II, move the crosshairs or mouse cursor to the position you want the beacon to be - note the lat/lon and close Fly!II. Open the airport.dbd file from the airport.pod. The easiest way to do this is with Vol!Edit. Locate your airport and change the location to your new setting, exporting the change to a DEX file. Import the DEX to complete the change. When you restart Fly!II the beacon should be at your chosen location.Problems:When you relocate the center of an airport, it will nor affect the runways, as they are locked into their own geographical locations. However, taxiways are placed in reference to the airport center point. When you move that point the taxiways will be moved. If your airport had no taxiways yet, fine - use the taxiway editor to create them. If you already had taxiways but were the author or have the the TXP file, open them in the taxiway editor and move them back into position.If you were not the creator, then you will need to create a new set to over-ride the old. If you pod the new version and the original was from TRI, you'll need to give it a lower mount priority so that it will over-ride it.

Randall Rocke

One other thing...When you manually place scenery items, some DB-related objects such as beacons and towers may be removed from that quarter tile. Frank Racis pointed this out a while back and it's a good thing to consider.Check the quarter tile the beacon is in and place a building such as a hanger in the same tile. Save and exit. When you restart Fly!II and teleport to that location, the beacon will hopefully be gone. If so, enter the editor and place one in the location of your choice, save and exit. If this works, it would resolve conflicts relating to existing taxiways, etc.

Randall Rocke

Guest Eagle

Thanks Randall for the response. If I follow what you have described what do I have to provide when creating scenery for others to use?Here's another idea, although not a good one. When developing scenery close off the runway with the beacon and create another one beside it. Then all one would have to do is submit the taxiway files.

For distributing, I would move the center and provide the DEX file. When the end-user imports the DEX, the beacon would be properly located. Taxiway files included with your package should have been created after the center was relocated. If the taxiways were original, provide new ones that over-ride the old. I would consider this the "professional" way to do it.For a simple approach, especially with preexisting taxiways, you might want to experiment. I don't know if this would work with TM models, but see if a model or two knocks out the original tower. If it does, then include a scenery set with a new tower location and have somebody install it as a beta - see if it works.

Randall Rocke

Guest dajackman

I'll give that a try, but the beacon in question is a couple hundred feet away from the entire airport. Its out in a corn field. It close enough that I can use it to find the airport at night, but would like it placed in its correct location. The airport is EZF, Fredericksburg VA. If anyone cares to check their installation of Fly2! Thanks again for the comments!