Sign in to follow this  
Cruachan

Optimal performance for FS 2002

Guest Hanse_1

Hi!I am about to invest in an upgrade for my computer and I would like some tips about what could yield very good performance withoutripping me off too much.As of now I have an AMD T-bird 1200 mHz processor, 512 RAM(conventional 133 mHz) and a GF 3 200 Ti.Any use getting a better processor, different RAM or another 3D card?Grateful for tips...Thanks.Hans HermanssonSweden

Hi, Hans. I would go for a faster CPU. The faster the better for FS2002. Target 1.8Ghz or more if you can.All the best.

I had an AMD Athlon T-Bird 1.2 overclocked to 1404 (140x10) and found upgrading to an Athlon XP 1900+ overclocked to 2000+ really helped a lot. Also upgraded my old GeForce 256 to GF 4 Ti 4400 which I overclock to 280/560 and use Geforce tweak utility to control AA, mipmapping, etc. By all means CPU is most bang for the buck with FS2002. Also tweak Windows XP to minimum services to free up resources and run FAT 32 on HD instead of NTFS, FAT 32 is faster for FS than NTFS. If you need to upgrade MB to get Athlon XP (hope you dont as newegg.com has free shipping on XP 1900 retail box, I purchased OEM version for under $100 w/ free shipping but prices have gone up), you can get a Jetway v266b supporting DDR & SDRAM (use your old memory) and has Via 266a chipset for $63. Upgraded HD to ATA 133 and 7200 rpm and think this increased performance more then video card upgrade did.Good Luck.Jetway V266B Via 4.38(2) drivers overclocked to 280 FSBAMD Athon XP 1900+ (1600 mhz overclocked to 1680 mhz)Volcano 6 cooler512 mb Corsair PC-150 SDRAMAllied 350 watt PSAbit Siluro GF 4 Ti 4400 with Nvidia 28.32 drivers overclocked to 280/560 1280x1024x32 with 19" monitor @ 85hz VCL Soundblaster Live X-GamerMaxtor 40gb 7200 rpm HD ATA 133Windows XP tweaked to minimum servicesFS2002, Dream Fleet 737-400, Simflyers Scenery for all airports flown, Radar Contact for ATC, FSAssist for pushback, ADVDisplay, FLTCrew Wavs, FSUIPC, APLC32, run with scattered clouds, high cirrus, winds, turbulance, etc. All sliders maxed, all options on, max visibility, FPS locked at 20, getting 14 on ground with gates, service vehicles, etc, 17 on taxi, 20 on takeoff roll and in flight.

Guest Hanse_1

Hi guys!and thanks for your advice.I reckon the best bet is to go for a faster CPU.Doing that I also have to get a new mainboard + faster RAM.I plan to buy an MSI KT3 Ultra (MSI is a common brand in Sweden)new DDR and an AMD XP 1900+.It would seem that this might take me somewhere.Further comments welcome!Thanks!Hans HermanssonSweden

Guest Hanse_1

Hi!and thanks for your tips.I don't use too much extra paraphernalia; no extravagant scenery,no DreamFleet planes, etc. so I figure a faster CPU ( for me an AMD XP 1900, plus new mainboard and RAM) will help.Further comments welcome.Live well and take care.And remember!A safe way to fly is to stay low and slow(about 20 knots at 5 feet)Thanks again!Hans HermanssonSweden

I upgraded from a Athlon thunderbird 1.333 to a Athlon XP1900+ and don't see much of a differance at all.Wasn't worth the cost of upgrade, for me anyway.CPU + MBO = $450 canadian :-(SteveCYYZ

This performance stuff is very relative. I have PIII 500 and I am doing just fine. I obviously can't have everything maxed but most of the stuff I really care about I do have.Michael J.

Hi Michael,That's the way, you tell 'em! We diehards should stick together ;)I still have a PIII800, GeForce2 GTS 32MB, 512MB SDRAM, SB Live! Value and an IBM Deskstar 60GXP ATA100 HD. FS2002 and FS2000 (yes, still installed!) run very well which makes following the upgrade path seem somewhat irrelevant for the forseeable future.Oh, and I still swear by W98/SE. Windows XP is for wimps in any case :)Mike :-wave .......Ducking from the onslaught of verbal missiles - LOL, LOL