Sign in to follow this  
maxter

OT-Biplane Ride in Seattle

I'm heading out to Seattle July 9th, and I just booked a ride in a Stearman with Old Thyme Aviation. Anyone ever done something like this? I'm totally excited!!! Also, any other "must see" places in Seattle (besides Boeing plant, which I already booked as well)?cheers

I took a vacation there last year (about 4 days after 9/11) unfortunately I did not do this. I live in Maryland now, but I used to live on Whidbey Island from '78-'80, hence the reason I wanted to take vacation there. I did enjoy the plane ride out there. If you take pics please post in the screenshot forum! Todd Tracy

I'm taking my digital camera and I'll post 'em when I get back. I'm in Maryland too btw. Work in Frederick.

Guest Smiley

Hi Piper,The only biplane ride I've taken was in the San Juan's. On that flight the pilot did some steep bank turns along with climbs and descents that were like dancing in the clouds (well, around them anyway). Hopefully the pilot you fly with will do the same. Sure, the scenery is fun to look at but if you have a choice take the fun flight instead of the straight and level scenic flight. If it is the scenic flight be sure to see the Space Needle built in 1966 for the Seattle Worlds Fair.In the Seattle area the Pike street market is a fun stop. They have a fish market that features flying fish ! ;-) The waterfront with all the shops on the Piers and an aquarium. If you like Clam Chowder stop in to Ivar's for some of the best Clam Chowder you'll ever have.North of Seattle is a restoration hangar at Paine Field. In one of the hangars are 5 reproduction ME 262 jets being built. They have done ground run ups and should be doing taxi tests now.OK, we are flying enthusiasts so you have to visit the Museum of Flight at Boeing Field. You are probably taking the Biplane ride out of Boeing field anyway so don't miss it.My only flight in Seattle was during the implosion of the King Dome. I was 1 of 40 aircraft that were flying counter clockwise around the dome at a 1/2 mile radius at 1,700ft. I took pictures of the Space Needle as we passed right over it each time around. I handed my camera to a friend to take the pictures of the implosion and somehow the shots didn't come out :-(Here are some photos from the Seattle Museum of Flight. edit-More photos can be found here: http://HOME1.GTE.NET/res03gpe/index.htmand here: http://www.cartogra.com/home/viewownerdir....owner=smileyone

Hey Smiley,just wanted to say a big THANKS for all the info. I'll post pics when I get back.-P

Guest Lizardo

Hey, fly over Microsoft and Bill Gates place :)

Yeah, maybe peer throught the window of the FS Team! Find out what's going on.

Piper,The Boeing plant is an ABSOLUTE must. I think it should be added to this list of "Great Wonders of the World." Also, there is an seaplane airline called Kenmore air. They are a large seaplane operation based out of Lake Union, I believe, with scheduled service to the San Jaun islands, Victory, Alaska, and many other destinations. I took a "scenic stanby" flight with them about six years ago. The flight was in a DHC-2 Beaver floatplane, which lasted 2.5 hours!!!. Absolutely, beutiful flight up to the San Juan island resorts. The pilot was flying about 20' above the tree's doing steep turns in order to land in some of the resorts. It is a STANBY and inexpensive flight, used to be about $30 probably about $60 now. Anyway, one of the passengers on the flight was an MD-80 captain for FedEx going to his weekend getaway house. We landed in Rosario resort where a rich guy on our flight boarded his huge red $30 million dollar 300' yacht. It is a standby ticket so they just fill up seats that are not empty. I'm sure they will still have this. I would highly recommend it!!!! and it is VERY cheap.Here is there company link, give them a call about the stanby senic flights. I never had a problem getting a flight. You usually have to call them in the morning to see what is available for the day and they will book you.www.kenmoreair.comHave a Great trip.CB

Hi Piper, I've lived in Seattle for the last 25 years, and got my ppl here in the 80s. Fantastic flying territory. The FBO I trained at "was" just south of Garvin, which is where you'll fly out of at BFI. Don't know how long you'll be able to fly, but the islands of the Puget Sound are always fascinating, used to enjoy flying over the Navy Ships at Bremerton, thou u probably can't do that anymore. On the other side, I always enjoyed exploring the western slopes of the cascades...and if you can fly for hours, actually crossing the mountains thru Snoqualmie pass is super fun.Course Bill Gate's house is a "must see".Cheers, Bob BernsteinEdmonds, Wa.

Don't know if you knew this Bob, but KenmoreAir is flying into Oak Harbor now. Since the demise of Harbor and their Caravans, at least there is a service into Seattle. Lake Union that is.jb

jb,What do you mean by, "Since teh demise of Harbor and their Caravans?"The Lake Union terminal years ago used to be very nice. It had a nice proffessional terminal with ticket agents, flight schedules on tv's and the works. They also do flight training, though the Beaver is about $470/hr. The instructor is included in the price.. lol what a deal. Did they use to have muti-engine seaplanes there sometime ago?CB

Hi Piper,You'll have a great time. I had the opportunity to fly with the Red Baron Stearman squaderan once and it was a blast. Part of a publicity visit for Red Baron Pizza. The pilot asked me if I wanted him to hold anything back which I said no of course and he took me for a fantastic ride. It been some years now but if I remember he did some loops, hammerhead stalls and several other moves that I can't recall. Enjoy, and tell your pilot to hold nothing back.Have Fun,Jim :-waveFDC Team Member

CB, apparently a little misunderstanding here. Harbor, or rather HarborAir was a commuter airline that flew out of Oak Harbor here on Whidbey Island using the Caravan. Nothing to do with KenmoreAir that recently started a service into Oak Harbor to Sea-Tac by way of the Lake Union terminal and a van service to Sea-Tac along with their San Juan Island routes. Just a few minutes ago, I saw a KenmoreAir Beaver climbing out of Oak Harbor. Don't know if they provide this service out of the main facility at Kenmore or not. Been a lot of years since I lived over there and flew out of there myself. You're right. You can't afford to fly a Beaver anymore. As I remember, they did have a DHC-6 at one time but apparently it wasn't profitable. At one time, they did a complete restoration of a Grumman Goose, ex-USN that I watched with great interest poking around the shop making a nuisance out of myself but my presence was accepted. I don't think they ever flew it commercially and probably just sold it. I remember very well one time when the Goose made a landing and one tip float wouldn't extend. The landing went OK but it promptly fell over. We had to go out in a boat and get some guys up on the wing to offset this and get her back up the ramp.jb