Sign in to follow this  

B-33 Bonanza 'Black Bird"

Hi All, I'm new to this forum. And new to Geoff's truly significant new freeware of the "Debonair". I just d/l it yesterday, and from what little I have seen so far, it surpasses a couple of the 'Payware' planes I have in my hangar.But I do have a problem in loading the aircraft. When I select from the Select Aircraft menu (regular), I get only a black silhouette, and when the B-33 comes up on the screen it is still just completely black. (Looks like a small SR-71!!!)The cockpit, views and all else work fine. The wing views are fine.But from Spot view, I only have a totally black aircraft...........I did an un-install and re-install. Same result. I have RTFM, but do not see where I missed anything in the Installation. Anyone have an idea or can help?? I keep thinking it is probably something so simple I have overlooked it. Regards,Nick

Thanks for the compliments. I have also gotten about 3 emails from other people with this problem. The only thing I can think (and I am certainly no expert) is that either your video card or computer is running out of memory to display the textures or a driver issue.You might want to try a clean reboot and close any running programs in the background.One other obscure thing to try is save a default ms aircraft (like the 172) as your startup situation and see if that helps.Other than that I don't have any other ideas-hopefully someone else does.Thanks,Geofhttp://members.telocity.com/~geof43/geofanim2.gif

Geof - Thanks for the speedy come-back to my post.I am running 256RAM, so no problem there. I have done re-boots, I use EnditAll before running FS, and I have started with an established aircraft........so it is indeed an enigma. I have over 100 planes in the hangar. This is the only instance of this sort I have experienced.But, it is no problem as long as you stay in cockpit view, it is only the Spot view where my Deb turns into the SR-71.......Well, thanks for the suggestions. I'll keep fiddling with it. And if I find an answer I'll post so the other 3 guys can have a fully textured Deb also.Regards,Nick

Hi Nick,256ram is fine but what exact video card and drivers are you using in your setup?Also, I need to know exactly what all of your display settings and sliders are set to including aircraft.I believe that may be where the culprit lies. Also, in spot view, go do something else and come back in 5 minutes and see if the textures loaded, then report back here and we should be able to nail it down for you.Also, a screen shot of the problem would help as well showing your dektop. Maybe go to window view to do this.Regards,Joe :-wavehttp://home.attbi.com/~jranos/mysig.jpg http://avsim.com/hangar/air/bfu/logo70.gif

CryptoSonar on Twitch & YouTube. 

Geof....... I tried both AI and Regular. And to Sonar5, OK, I'll try the items you suggested. A couple of times as I switched from Cockpit to Spot the textures would "flicker" like they were trying to "show". So I do think it is in the Textures file somewhere. Maybe a corrupted file when I downloaded. But, that is why I did a unin&reinstall....... Hmmmmmmm. Well let me go fiddle.Cheers,Nick

Nick, You can try but you still did not list what Vid card, drivers and slider and display settings you are using. I believe there is a higher probability that it is a system problem and not related to the textures included with the release.You listed ram, but we will need complete system specs to diagnose where the cause is. OS, processor speed, vid card, etc...Regards,Joehttp://home.attbi.com/~jranos/mysig.jpg http://avsim.com/hangar/air/bfu/logo70.gif

OK Joe, here's the specs of my "ultr-lite" PC, but it has no problems in 'driving' some of the high-end, FPS eating program planes, such as DF734, DFpa28, all 3 FSD's, and others. So this is why I was surprised why the Deb has a problem. In Cockpit view on the Deb I am getting 15fps and 14.5 on Spot (even though it is Black!) I will admit the DF734 does drag my fps way down, but it is still smooth and flyable, anyway. So here I am: 450MHZ,PIII, 256RAM,Voodoo III AGP, 3DFX 4.12.01.0666 (English)While I was away, I 'fiddled' with the B33 file. I took out the Model.AI and the Model. Reg. files. No change. There are 9 Texture bmps. in the Texture file. Oddly enough, I slewed (in Spot) up to500', then did a Tower view of the Deb. If you run the view way, way out the plane will turn 'white', but as you bring the view back in it will turn 'black' again. Thats all I can pass on it you for now.Regards,Nick

Hi James, I appreciate the input. And it is possible for sure. But when the old, very used Voodoo III can still 'drive' 100+ 3rd party a/c of varying demands of need on it, and I get good performance out of all of them........well, it kind of does not shake out.But then only being a basic non-geek, what would I know?? (-;I guess that is what I enjoy so much from this hobby, trying to figure out why my PC is being non-compliant with my wishes.......!?Cheers,Nick

Joe - Oops, I forgot to add that my Display sliders are all running at about 50%. And I am at a 1024 x 768 setting. These are the same settings I have been running FS2002 at since last Fall.Incidentally, I notice that laying "loose" in the FS2002 file, right next to the 'B33' aircraft file is an archive, 'hghb_dh_val.gcf' .Is that a part of the 'B33' file? And should it be IN the aircraft file? And yes, I loaded the Deb, went away 5 minutes, came back, burped, and looked at the screen. Nope, it did not load the textures.Maybe I should only fly the Deb at night with no moon, that way I wouldn't notice it's SR-71 'texture' (-;Cheers,Nick

hghb_dh_cal.gcf is a flightsim file (I think). Should not go in the Debonair's folder. Maybe someone whos running a Voodoo card and the Deb could come and say what they see. I'm clueless at this stage :-doh http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/edenw/fs_banner_je4.jpg Think highly of yourself, for the world takes you at your estimate -Anon

I saw this with some planes appear black shiney when using voodoo 3500 It is the video driver for voodoo not being compatible with direct x 8#Anniette xxxx

Hi again,In Geof's Debonair manual he reiterates that the Debonair is designed to be run im MSFS2002 Pro at 1280 x 1024, and may run well in lower resolutions. It was tested on a 1.4 ghz rig, and I have a 1.2ghz system. He also stated in the quirks section that it runs well on his 1.4ghz system and he cannot predict frame rate issues and performance on a particular system.I am afraid that your system may fall under these guidelines. I believe that Geof was most likely correct in his original post regarding memory, and I believe the holdup is a combination of Vid card and processor.Have you put the aircraft complexity slider at Very Small. And reduce all other texture sliders to their minimum settings, as Microsoft also talks about performance compromises within their own manuals. With every slider at minimum, does it still not load?I am afraid I disagree with you comparing this to over 100 other add-ons that do work. This is a unique aircraft that does not compare to anything else released IMHO. In conclusion, you may be relegated to flying like a real pilot. That is, from the inside, (which is my preference), and I do not necessarily think that is such a bad thing.I hope this helps and good luck, Joe :-wavehttp://home.attbi.com/~jranos/mysig.jpg http://avsim.com/hangar/air/bfu/logo70.gif

Thanks for the info on that James. I don't know where it came from all of a sudden. So, just associated it with the add-on of the B33 aircraft file, as they both had about the same inception date and time in Properties.Yeah, I'm with you, I too am clueless on my Texture problem on the Deb. But other than that it is a great sim, and I am really enjoying flying it and getting used to it. It handles pretty much like the PA-28 Archer. The instrumentation by Geoff and team is just superb, and the copilot view is a great bit of added candy. I just wish I could see what it looks like on the outside!!Cheers,Nick