Sign in to follow this  

B-33 Bonanza 'Black Bird"

I think its a video card memory problem. I have a 64mb Gf2 Mx400. I havent checked but the textures for the debonair seem large. They always take longer to load about 2-5 seconds than any other aircraft. The quality is a plus though, it makes up for the time it takes to load. I used to have a Voodoo 3 2000 and if I remember correctly those have only 16 mb of ram.Andrew

Regarding the file hghb_dh_cal.gcf, I found it in the aircraft folder of the cumputer that I installed the Debonair on, but it doesn't exist on another system where I havn't yet installed the Deb. The file can be read with Notepad and contains only DH_001. Don't know if this sheds any light on your problem. While she's a great looking plane from the outside, her performance and what you see from inside the cockpit is what really counts. David

Joe, thanks muchly for your advice and observations. Also to all others that lent their thoughts to my Deb "Black Bird".I think your summation is most probably right on the nail's head. I realize very much how marginal my system is. And I am beginning to sense that Geoff's creation is really a bird of a very different feather than my other "100+" add-ons.And yes, I do recall reading that the Deb was designed for 1280x1024. I had not thought to give that a try. So I'll crank it up to that level and see if the old PC can carry that load.I think I may have to relegate myself on my flights in the B33 to the cockpit only. And righto, that is certainly where RW pilots fly. Inside!! It just bugs me a bit that I can't see the plane from Spot. But with all that Geoff has put on my plate with the great panel, I am sure it will keep me quite busy and satisfied.Thanks again Joe. And, as a "newbie" to this forum, I am very impressed with the folks on it. And how good it is to share with fellow simmers that have only simming in mind, not drivel.Cheers to all,Nick

When I downloaded the Debonair the file name was b33.I renamed it as Bonanza b33 and the textures were not loaded since it was searching for the b33 folder.I changed the name back to b33 and the textures where loaded.However I still get problems with HSI that does not load and prior to that I get a famous warning message that a third party file, etc, etc.I uninstalled and re installed the Debonair file, but keep getting the same problemEdmundo Cardenas van Grieken/SVMICaracas, Venezuela[table border=1 bgcolor=#eeeeee][tr][td rowspan=3] http://avsim.com/flightdeck/images/Radar_small.gif[/td][td]Proud pilot of Proud Supporter of[c][link:www.flightsimmers.net/radarcontact]Radar Contact][/c], the premiere ATC adventure add-on for FS

I am going to try to redo this gauge that causes the problems for you guys in .xml. It may take me a few days or it may be a week or so be patient but if I am able to do this it should take care of that problem. In the meantime maybe another user can find the problem. It is a strange one.http://members.telocity.com/~geof43/geofanim2.gif

I'm running a Voodoo3 card and was getting the same "black-bird". I think the video card is the culprit here. By changing the textures from DXT3 to 32bit with Imagetool semi-solves the problem of getting some color. I'm thinking that the Voodoo card has problems with the alpha channel. I had a similar problem with an Extra 330 that had DXT3 textures. Just my 2 cents worth.Paul B.KSMS/KSSC

Guest cwright

Nick, about ten minutes after reading your post I popped over to http://www.freeflightdesign.com/ and by pure chance I saw a post that may be the answer to your problem. If these conditions are true, then you will get this problem. 1. The card does not support 1024*1024 textures (your Voodoo is probably in this category). 2. The plane uses 1024*1024 textures but does not have mip maps. According to the post I read, if the card cannot handle that resolution then it will use the next mip map resolution, i.e. 512*512. However, if there are no mip maps then there will be no textures and the plane will indeed be black. You could use Imagetool to check for mip maps - and you could add them yourself if there aren't any (if Geoff doesn't object!) Another option would be to reduce the texture resolution to 512*512. In FS aircraft options you can reduce the texture size - but that may also depend on the existence of mip maps. Best regards, Chris Wright

James-didn't I tell you not to forget the mip maps!:-lolIn all seriousness this has been a learning experience. Just finding out how end users equipement can effect the performance and workings of something this simple (relatively)-I can't imagine designing something more complicated-like a flight sim!http://members.telocity.com/~geof43/geofanim2.gif

Guest Vulcho

Jut to give my 2 cents worth,It's the Voodoo 3. I have V3 3000 and I get Black Bird as well. Best thing to do is to try and convert the file type to something else other than DXT3. Also, creating MipMaps should solve your problem.I myself haven't had the time to do this, but I am pretty confident it will work. Last night I took to long to read all the forums, d/l all the files, search the other sites, install the files....and your head is spinning by now.*:-*http://turnhead.com/dot/alex/banner-stroke.gif

Just wanted to weigh in on the VooDoo issue as well. Back before I built "Frankenputer" my old machine had a voodoo Banshee, and some of the repaints out there for the default AC resulted in black or gray textures for me, and as soon as I upgraded to the Radeon, all was well. So, a video upgrade will probably be your solution. After seeing Geof's bird in all of her reflective glory, you won't be disappointed.MikeKOCF

Hi Chris, thanks for your thoughts on my "Black Bird" plight.What you report does sound logical. i.e.,that my old decrepit Vodoo III just can't handle Geoff's textures.Joe (Sonar5) mentioned last night about the Deb being created for a higher rate than the 1024x768 that I normally run at. Well I have tried running 'full bore' at 1600x1024, and the Deb is still "Black" and all my other planes are still normal. And, I am still running the Deb at about 14.5 fps in all views at this full setting. (With Skyworld clouds, dense)It is indeed a mystery wrapped in an enigma. Oddly, sometimes when the Deb first loads up from Select Aircraft or Saved Flight, it will momentarily come "alive" with its white skin. But that is only for a second or two.At any rate Chris, I'll run my system down to "512*512" and see what happens. All else in this wonderful plane though is GREAT. Don't know why it keeps bugging me that I can't see the textured aircraft?!Cheers,Nick

I wished I had read this post earlier. It's simple. This problem occured with some of POSKY's 767 repaints. Indeed the problem is that a Voodoo3 can't handle DXT3 textures at 1024x1024. You need to create the mipmaps in imagetool (easy enough to do). I don't recomend switching to 32 bit format. You don't lose the alpha channel contrary to what some people say (even if imagetool says "Alpha: unknown" when you convert. Just save it and reload you'll see), but DXT3 textures are compressed and optimised for DirectX. They're better. So simply create mipmaps.For people who read about the POSKY's textures, it was recommended to switch to 32 bits because mipmaps created a bug (the blur effect) which had nothing to do with the format of the textures. So for users of a Voodoo3, short of creating mipmaps, the only solution was to convert to 32 bits.Hope that helped.EDIT: By the way, the resolution at which you run FS has nothing to do with the black thing. Running fine in 1152x864 with a Voodoo3 here (yes I know, I need to upgrade ;-)).__________________________________________________________EricUPDATED: List of all airlines, aircraft manufacturers and aircraft types recognised by ATC:http://www.geocities.com/eric_2203/orhttp://ftp.avsim.com/library/esearch.php?D...atID=fs2002misc