Sign in to follow this  

Stuttering and/or hang ups

Good morning all:Can someone tell me what causes the stuttering and/or CPU hesitations (hang ups/pauses) while using Fly!II? Very frustrating to say the least!! At times, my unit gets good frame rates, and runs so smoothly, yet at times, my unit will pause or hang up or stutter. I think that I have a unit with enough power for Fly!II, (one can never have enough power); 733Mhz CPU, 512Mb RAM, Win'98SE operating system, Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti4400 graphic card with 128 on board RAM. I remember reading other postings regarding this same problem. Does anyone have a fix, or is anyone working on a fix. Is this a Fly!II bug? If it is, will the fix be included or being considered in the next Fly!II patch?Curtis

Guest Lindy

The stuttering is the single most frustrating aspect of Fly!2 (IMO). You have a great video card (128 mg RAM) and probably need to tweak it a little. But your CPU (733 mHz) could stand some beefing up. I just upgraded to a P4, 2.4gHz CPU; my video card has 64 mg DDR RAM and I STILL get some hesitation with certain sceneries. But for the most part, my Fly!ing is much improved over my P3 700 CPU. As for another Fly!2 patch, I don't know what it is expected to cover -- but don't hold your breath waiting. I know Rich and his ad hoc, all volunteer team started work on a patch, but apparently Rich has some personal issues he's dealing with right now. And his health and family come first. -Lindy :-wave

Thank you Lindy!I'm fully aware of Rich's personal issues and agree that at this time, his health and family comes first. I didn't mean to seem or sound pushy at all, I was just wondering! I read all of the postings on him and he is also in my prayers!!!!!!I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and upgrade my unit as you did.Curtis :-wave

Guest Josve

It's your CPU that causes the stutters! The only fix is to get a bigger cpu :(I also had a 700mhz cpu and the stutters was a biiig pain!So I changed to a AMD XP1800 cpu,and now I have all sliders to 75%and no stutters at all :)Johnny"I'LL BE BACK"[div align=center]http://www.avsim.com/hangar/fly/josve/fly2/vas.gif ][/div

Thank you Johnny!!I suspected as much! As I indicated to Lindy, I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and upgrade. I know that I won't be disappointed if I do!!Thanks again,Curtis :-wave :-beerchug

Curtis,Does the stuttering happen in all areas or just in some (near certain sceneries, etc.)The only time my system pauses (I have no stuttering whatsoever) is when there is a scenery load (terrascened area, custom airport scenery, major amount of clouds and overcast). After that, the sim proceeds as smooth as silk.Your graphics settings (medium res & high res distance, render.ini settings, anti-aliasing settings in your video - all of these combined will affect the performance of Fly!II. Other items would be throughput on your HDs and the amount of fragmentation on your drives.

Randall Rocke

Guest Dean

Curtis,There are a few things you can do to minimize the stuttering. I had an Athlon 800 previously that Fly II ran smoothly on. You indicate that the stuttering is intermittant. When the stuttering starts, check your FPS and if they are 4-5, than change the view to a different direction and see if the stuttering stops and the FPS jump up. If so, then the stuttering is being caused by a high resolution A/C in the distance being loaded as a dynamic aircraft. This is a bug we will have to live with unless you disable AI aircraft. Fortunately, this doesn't happen all the time. There are some other things you can do to minimize the stuttering: Shut down everything that is running in the background. Keep all of your sliders at the mid-point or less. Set your sound at 8 bit mono.Before flying change to an external view and "walk" around your A/C. Make sure your AGP aperature is set to 64 meg or less in BIOS setup.

>Is this a Fly!II bug? It is. Maybe not a bug but an unfortunate design of scenery/terrain update engine. I once posted on the subject and what is the exact nature of the problem. In a few words - aircraft movement is 'tied' to the scenery update rather than being independent of it. Not somethig that could be readily fixed I am afraid.Michael J.

Thank you very much Dean. I'll try your suggestions this evening when I get home from work and let you know how I make out.Curtis

>The only time my system pauses (I have no stuttering whatsoever) is when there is a scenery load (terrascened area, custom airport scenery, major amount of clouds and overcast). After that, the sim proceeds as smooth as silk.

I guess I am a lucky guy. My computer is PII-450 with GeForce2 Ultra, but I almost have no stuttering at all. Also, I am only using a gamepad. However, I always reboot my computer to give it a fresh start, and close all other programs. I hope this will help you.Eddy