Sign in to follow this  
Guest GalacticCowboy

Spotting other aircraft in MSFS2002

I've been using MSFS2002 for a while now, and have the hardest time spotting other aircraft. For example, when ATC tells me to look at my 10 o'clock and report an aircraft in sight, about 90% of the time I have to reply back that I can't find the aircraft.Is anyone else having the same problem, or is it just me? Maybe someone can give me a hint if they are having success.Thanks for your help. :-wave

HiYou can enable Aircraft labels in the atc menu.The aircraft will then be underlined with identifying text.cheersJohn

With labels turned off, it isn't easy....I used to rent a Cessna almost every weekend along with a friend (who was a pilot). He always sought my help when looking for traffic--I have very good "distance" vision, and could generally spot A/C even before ATC advised us of their presence. FS2002 is a different animal, since the visual cues from real life aren't always there.With FSUIPC, a sample program is included (I think it's called Trafficlook). It's a good little utility, as it will show the bearing, speed, heading, callsign and altitude of various aircraft in your vicinity. It might be a useful tool to help "train" your eyes to find the traffic. Of course, that won't help if ATC expects you to find an F-16 at your 10 o'clock. By the time they'd finish saying "o'clock", the F-16 would be long gone... :)Regards,John, KPHX

Thanks to you both. Great Ideas.Question about the FSUIPC. Are all those indicators displayed on and around the aircraft like the aircraft labels? Also, do these labels slow down fraim rates, by any chance?Thanks again.

The Trafficlook program requires you to alt/tab in and out of 2k2 to view...I don't fly with AI enabled often, as I do mostly "Bush" and Ultralight flying in 2K2, but I don't recall any real fps hit with labels. There is a maximum distance that the labels are displayed, and I can't recall whether it's 10, 15 or 20 miles....John

I have a tough time finding most of the traffic too. Alot of the times the controller is giving me a clock position that is past my 3-9 line with the traffic being no factor anyway.One time I had an MD80 pass right in front of me at less than 300 ft and not one word about traffic was mentioned. Funny, there was no wake turbulance.Captain: I thought you lowered the gear!" First Officer: You said YOU were going to do that!"

Press W on KB and then look out left/right with ur joystick hat switch...with aircraft labels on u wont miss it!Santanu Nandy

That's also a very good idea. I never thought of that. Thanks.

Guest Martin

Don't forget when the visibility is one mile and you hear "...traffic six o'clock, 4 miles..." I wonder how the AI can always see other traffic in low visibility... Are they Superman or something?MartinIt's a lot like life and that's what's appealing

Guest GalacticCowboy

In addition to the other comments, consider that the ATC are often wrong about the aircraft location in relation to you. When they say "4 o'clock", look to 2 and 6 - the plane is more likely to be there than actually at 4...