Sign in to follow this  

Windows ME vs XP

Guest chezz

Hi, I'm planning to upgrade from Windows ME to Windows XP, is it worth it? Does FLY2 or games in general performs better in XP? I'm getting a good performance with FLY2 (18-30 fps with the slider maxed to 60) in Win ME I don't know if it would raise the bar higher if I migrate to XP.Thanks.chris rpllhere's my system specsSOYO KT-400 mobo AMD XP 1800+GForce2 MX400256 Corsair XMS PC27000 DDR100 GB Western Digital HD20 GB Seagate HDNvidia 40.72 driverDirectx 8.1b

www.tomshardware.com had recently a big article about PC gaming and WinME/Win XP.Michael J.

Guest chezz

Thanks Michael. I read the review and I'll stick to my Windows ME for the meantime.cheerschrisrpll

HI, Personnelly, I upgraded a year ago, and boy was I happy!!! XP runs real smoother, less lockups, almost no more bluescreens. And for the games, well they all run fine.Cheers

Guest jjlobo

I've migrated from W98 to XP by the time I've doubled my processing capacity (Pentium IV, 2GB, 256 mem, NVidia 64). I've installed W2000 in the older machine (Pentium 2, 256mhz, 358 mem, NVidia 16) and I have a much better performance in my older machine. I've being around trying to understand the worst performance in XP and almost everybody I've talked with are experiencing very bad performance in XP. It is interresting to note that almost all XP installations are running in very new and powerfull machines giving a wrong sensation of good performance.I work supporting systems and don't like XP at all. In replacement of BLUE SCREENS you have a new screen informing you that your application performed a wrong instruction and it is being canceled. This screen asks your authorization to send report to Microsoft. The XP it self keeps running, it is true, but your session is gone and everything lost. I don't see any advantage in this new screen, the system crashes your application any way.I hope this warns you to find more information about XP in all normal usages, not only for Fly!.Cheers___ JJLobo ___55 11 37268158

Hi,2000 is a good solution as well... And will run great on almost any machine. JJ, it's normal that XP doesn't run smooth on a pentium 2... It was designed for pentium III or higher, with at least 256 mb ram.Cheers

>I don't see any advantage in this new screen, the system >crashes your application any way. Well, I am not an XP advocate (I don't have it yet) but the idea is that when a program misbehaves it should not affect other programs or the OS. In Win98/Me when my program crashes it often brings down the whole machine or some parts of it. So yes, there can be a big advantage if it works correctly in the XP.Michael J.

My two cents here: Windows ME is by far the worst OS I have ever used. XP is by far the best. As far as gaming goes, XP out performs on everything I have put to the test, including Fly!II. As soon as I installed XP on my system, I couldn't believe the difference in performance with Fly!II. It was like night and day...VinPMDGwww.precisionmanuals.comhttp://www.vinscimone.com/dancnkid.gif

Vin Scimone

Precision Manuals Development Group

www.precisionmanuals.com

PMDG_NGX_Dev_Team_FB.jpg

Guest dajackman

"I'm getting a good performance with FLY2 (18-30 fps with the slider maxed to 60) in Win ME"If you are happy with what you have I would stick with it. I have been in the computer field for years, If you don't need the new features and you are happy, stay with what works. Just keep them service packs up to date, antivirus up to date and you should be fine.As for the Win2k and XP, I have heard a little from both sides, some people love XP and some reformat and go back to Win2000. Also keep in mind about Microsoft's Product Activation in XP. I still use Win98 for Fly2!...(and Linux for real work)

Guest DSandberg

Here's the flip side of those two cents: on my home computer I used to have Win95, then I upgraded to WinME. Yes, I really said UPGRADED. It's much better than 95 ever was. And I also used Win2K at my job last year ... while Win2K worked well enough, it felt much more sluggish than my home system (considering the work system was technically the faster one), so I was not at all motivated to install Win2K in place of ME at home. Upshot: still using WinME happily.Just wanted to contribute a little balance here.- David Sandberg

Guest jjlobo

Thanks for replying. However, the XP is running in the Pentium IV with 256 MB Mem. The 2000 is running in the Pentium II and runs much faster.My claim is still valid, I think so...Cheers___ JJLobo ___55 11 37268158

Evening, That activation is a weird idea, considering all the money microsoft has... But I have a legal version used in our puter club and it doesn't have activation, and for all microsoft spy programs, I used XPantispy which I recommend to everyone. But nobody HAS to like what another person likes, my father can stand XP and loves 2000, others like millenium... It's their choicecheers

Guest chezz

Thanks so much for the info I wish FLY2 can fly in LINUX framerate must be double (just a thought) ;) chrisrpll

Guest dajackman

I think Fly could be ported to Linux...It's mostly written in python or am I wrong on this. I know I've gotten a couple Python errors before.

>I think Fly could be ported to Linux...It's mostly written >in python or am I wrong on this. Yes. I am afraid you are wrong - it is written in C++.Michael J.