Sign in to follow this  

Help with Piper Navajo

Guest dajackman

First I love this airplane. Does anyone have the procedure for short field take off with this thing? I have check the Internet for specs and found this:Takeoff:Ground Roll: 1000 ftOver 50 ft obstacle: 2250 ftHowever I have not been able to get this thing off the ground with out using about 3000 ft ground roll. Any help would be great!!

Acccording to the PA-31-350 manual that I have the procedure is:Brakes ................. apply and holdMixtures ................ full forwardPropellers .............. full forwardThrotles ................ full forwardManifold pressure (43" normal static sea-level, std temp ............... checkedProp speed .............. 2575Brakes .................. releaseRotate .................. 76 KIASAccelerate to ........... barrier speed (92 KIAS)After barrier has been clearedGear .................... retractFlaps ................... retractAccelerate to ........... best single engine angle of climb speed (104 KIAS)I won't type in the full text of the emergenct proceduresfor an engine failure during a short fiel take off buthere is a para-phrased versionIf an engine fails and speed is above 92 KIAS but below 104 KIASperform a power off landing if at all possible. If landing would not be fun then flaps and gear up imediately and accelerate to 104 KIAS. It my require a descent to gain such speed. Expect to lose about 100 feet of altitude.If you elect to abort the landing:throttles closed,gear extended if possible,flaps extended and 87 KIAS. Prior to touchdownposition fuel controls to idle cut-off and turn master switch,fuel selectos and magneto switches off.If you elect to continue the flight or the failure occurs above 104 KIAS then follow normal engine out procedures.Harry Gentilozzi

I love flying twins and the Fly! Navajo and have found great pleasure in learning about twin ratings, the IFR rating etc. For instance this article over at AvWeb was particularly exciting in relation to 'single engine' handling.It's about training at 'FlightSafety' on their 'full motion'Cessna 404.http://www.avweb.com/articles/fsistory.htmlAnybody have any similar 'twin' related reading?DaveT

Guest Lindy

Anybody have any similar 'twin' related reading? Well, actually Computer Pilot magazine for the last few issues has been running articles about flying twins using the Chieftan (I think that's the Navajo) from Fly!2. They've gone quite indepth with the explanations, from walk-around to engine-out procedures.Very informative.-Lindy :-wave

Yes those are the articles from Mr Brent McColl, a Chieftain pilot.His articles are very thorough and fun to read. I have learned a lot concerning the Navajo (or Kodiak, in Fly 2).His series of "dual-engine flying" started last year.Check out www.computerpilot.com for back issues.

I've got 3 articles from Computer Pilot that Brent McColl wrote about flying the Chieftain (published in the early days of Fly!1)-well written, so I ought to look for the newer stuff.Until recently I wasn't using 'the other sim' and most sim mag stuff is obviously for that market.By the way the original docs that Rob Young included in the Fly!1 V88 version gave some performance details, perhaps still worth finding in the library even if flying the Fly!2 plane.DaveT

Hi,I`m also a fan of the Navajo.But the seating-position is so extreme deep like in a Formula 1-cockpit!!!;) That is really really annoying.Bye, Mike

Guest Dean

Mike,Are you referring to the view out the cockpit window? I assume you know about the "]" and "shift]" key to alter that view?

Hi,ahhm...no!I try that.Will report if it "works".Bye

One queastion what is that for a botton on the keyboard?:-shy

Guest Dean

Yes. They are the lower case bracket keys to the right of "P". "]" and "shift ]" will adjust your seat up or down in all Fly A/C.

I'm not a pilot but I have a question regarding the autopilot, I used to fly the navajo all the time and once got the altitute desire I turn on the autoplito just using the heading and altittute hold then the airpline start jumping up and dowm also the trim is useless, so this is a bug or I'm doing the procedure of autopilot in a wrong manner.tksCesar/Venezuela

Guest Dean

Cesar,I don't think you are doing anything wrong, I get the same problem as soon as the A/P altitude hold is enabled. I think this is a bug in the Fly II Navajo that was not in the Fly I version. If you switch to an outside view from the rear of the A/C you can see the elevator trim oscillating up and down rapidly. I either ignore the movement or do not use altitude hold with the A/P on the Kodiak.

Tks Dean, I was thinking that my procedure on A/P was wrong, hope someone have a answer to this problem.best rgdsCesar/Venezuela