Sign in to follow this  
Guest Javier

FS-IMPORT

This is a great, great product !!!And I prove it... Strasbourg, The Mont St Michel, Le Mans, Quimper : many new airports in France.A lot of thanks ! Just a question, btw : is there a way to edit taxiways in order to make them working perfectly with the converted scenery ? I didn't saw any taxiways files in the pods.Yves

This program is the addon that Fly! needs...Just convert some commercial and freeware scenerys in seconds.KLAX,Tacoma,LEIB,LEAL,no luck with LEVC (mi home..grrr) from simwings, but is great !!Many thanks !!

WOW! this is something that FLY! needed ages ago .This makes me want to reinstall fly.I have always LOVED it but could never stand the fact that the airports where so blan.Seems those days are over .Could this work for mesh files ? Capt.Richard Dillon (KATL)www.jetstarairlines.com"Bill Grabowski's"ERJ-145 panel Beta TeamMD-11 panel Beta Team-----------------------PAI beta team -----------------------"Lets Roll" 9/11 -----------------------Specs AMD 1600 XP MSI KT 266t pro2 512MB DDR 2100GF3 ti 200 64MB SBliveCh Products Yoke and Pedals(usb)Windows 2000 Serivce Pack 3

Cesar,thanks mate, I was searching under wbglzip.zip and kept comming up blank.Edit:Sorry Cesar but the search engine just refuses to give up its secrets. No matter what I use as keywords or what section of the library I search the result comes back "0 files found".Would you please be able to give me the catagory and section of the library and I'll do a manual search.Cheers,Roger @YSSY

I couldn't find it either but I did find wbglzip.zip at Flight Sim but there is also a file on AVSIM called zbgl.zip. Both contain bglzip.exe.Don

Guest Hagar

Dean,I`ve heard about this some time ago, but can`t remember the details.But putting all the files in the shared folder is no good I think, in this folder everything is loaded without the need for a scf file.If you use another folder, the scf is needed in order to load the scenery, wether it is Terrascenery or 3D models or both.What does the scf file do? Well it tells Fly2 about which boundarys for the specified scenery to load, and also lists all the pod files to be loaded with that scenery. I use the shared folder ONLY for Biberall.pod and the Terramodels pod.These two pods holds all the 3D models needed by many sceneries made with Terramodels or the Fly Editor.So for the rest, I always make a dedicated folder in Fly2Scenery, and put my pod and scf file there. Good order, never a problem :)The Terramodels readme file always tell you to put the pod in Fly2Scenery, and does not mention the scf file. That`s why I always edit this file, to reflect the changes I do to the location of the files.

Meshes may be a future option.However, at the moment I ask again that everyone respects the README text - no uploading of converted sceneries.I have seen some comments that may need addressing - especially FSI's the use of the SHARED folder. FSI has gone to some trouble to cater for a wide range of users and PC systems. Without the FPS monitor, 100000 polygons (or more!) will freeze most systems.Future releases will address some of the issues that have been raised. Thank you all for you comments, ideas and concerns.It is also with much sorrow that I read Rich's posting on this very forum. It is hard to summon up words in this situation. Each and every one of use have been touched by his dedication and understanding. Let us not break the rules and bring (t)his great sim into disrepute.Padraic (Podjoe) Morgan.

Padraic,THANK YOU for such a wonderful program!!!!Would it be possible, in a future relase, to be able to convert the 'generic'/default sceneries that come with FS?Thanks again for helping to keep Fly! alive!!Regards,Bob Lyddy

Guest tonyc

It's possible, but he made it clear that he doesn't intend to violate copyright laws.tony

Thanks Dean,The shared folder limits is a potential problem that I was not aware of. I have tested a newer version which does not use the shared folder but uses a folder per tile and an SCF file to load it when in range. I want to use the loader DLL to prevent trading of generated sceneries and to permit the frame rate monitor to manage the enormous amount of polygons.Tips if FPS are low: set the to 0. Models will no longer be "promoted" (see README.TXT).Padraic (Podjoe) Morgan.

I agree with his decision. Please keep in mind -- is it better to get 90% of the world and be satisfied, or 100% of the world briefly then have it taken away from you forcibly? I have no doubt Padraic made the right decisions to be very conscious of copyright.Rich

Guest Hagar

Yes. Never break the copyright. Right now I badly want to ask the folks behind MSFS Norway98 to give me a green light to upload their scenery for Fly II, but I have my doubts about this...Being able to import MSFS scenery into Fly II is great. The bad news is the bin files, which has a bigger impact on the fps than the SMF models. The other bad news is you can`t upload it. You`ll have to ask people to import those sceneries themselves, which is not for everyone to do, most people just want to download a finished package. What I don`t like is this: I can`t upload converted MSFS scenery. When I upload my own scenery, I`m happy to not having to make all those models myself off course, it`s very time-consuming. What I`m trying to say is this: Converted scenery is good news, but it has an impact on the frame-rates. So I hope people still are going to make dedicated scenery for Fly II, with streamlined, economic, low-polygon fps friendly models.Richard, while you`re here, could you please explain once again all those secrets about the Shared folder, and why we shouldn`t put everything in there, and why we need the scf file? Lately I`ve been trying to explain this in the forums myself, but I still need to learn a lot more about this. I`m one of those that will keep on making Fly II sceneries for a long time, and when people ask me this and that, I want to give a solid answer back :)And Btw, thanks for giving me such joy for years to come :)

Andrew,Here's the skinny on the Shared folder. Any .pod or .epd file put in the Shared folder is auto-mounted when Fly! starts. All shared pod catalogs are stored in RAM for the ENTIRETY of the time Fly! is running, so if these pods have alot of files (particularly scenery files with lots of textures), you are eating memory that can never be recovered. This may not be a big deal with models that use one texture per model, but for TerraScene or similar ground scenery it's deadly, because you can easily have 20K+ or more files per pod, eating a few megs of memory just to store the catalogs in memory.Moving them out of the Shared folder, and providing an SCF file, solves this. Instead of keeping the pod online all the time, Fly! keeps track of the lat/lon boundaries of the scenery area specified in the SCF file. This area should be the maximum boundary of all ground and scenery models included in the scenery area. When you approach this area, Fly! will auto-mount the pod and eat RAM to store the catalogs. But, once you exit the area Fly! will unmount the pod and recover all the RAM. This allows you to store hundreds of not thousands of megabytes of scenery and still travel coast-to-coast without needing 512MB of RAM just to get Fly! up and running.Hope this helps,Rich

Guest Hagar

Richard,Thanks for the info! Now I understand "mounting" better. This is what many of us has been wondering about for some time, and an important issue regarding scenery design. Also it may help many people getting a smoother simulator by re-arranging the scenery in these folders.