Sign in to follow this  

Dear Richard

What does one write at a time of sad news about Rich Harvey's health? Probably the memories and personal experiences of meeting the man whom I for one admire. It was his Fly! simulator back in 1999 that inspired me, and many others like Jak Fearon, Todd Klaus, Rob Young to devote hours of our time, and ultimately years of our lives in the pursuit of something more than just a game. It was the dream. The dream to fly, and possibly escape the more mundane aspects of our lives. Fly! gave us a world that we could create.I was in two minds over visiting and presenting at the Avsim conference in Lake Tahoe this year, simply because it was such a long way away from Australia. When I heard Richard was going that changed my mind completely. It's not often you get to see someone so involved in flight simulation and with such a passion as his. That's not to say I hadn't met him before. I wanted to see him again and it was great to say hello.I actually met Rich when Fly! had just come out and flew to Dallas for a job interview. I was going to be working on the ground scenery generation for Fly!2 and took the time to meet the team for 4 days in early February 2000. I actually spent my 34th birthday there. Richard was an inspiration and a man with a vision. He was quite clearly very intelligent yet so down to earth and he gave up much of his time to spend with me while I was there. I didn

AndrewThank you for sharing your story of dealings with Richard. I, like I'm sure many others, find our thoughts frequently returning to Richard and his family's suffering at the present.Dave T