Sign in to follow this  

Houston IAH

Guest Dean

Here's a nice package in the MS library for FS Import. It's called IAH2001.zip and it includes nice modeling for both IAH and downtown Houston.

Guest tonyc

dean, I have not had any luck getting anything to work with fsimport. I did download IAH2001.zip and would appreciate it very much if you provided me with step by step directions. I have wblg.zip, but somehow I am missing something when I am entereing fsimport fields. thanks.tony

Guest andrewluck

I'll second that Tony so you're not the only one with this problem.I've been through that readme so many times looking for something I might have missed I've lost count. My basic problem is:1: I've created the directory structure, downloaded Maitland.zip and extracted it into f:fsaddonsscenerymaitland (having created texture and scenery subfolders).2: Edited the f:fsaddonsscenery.cfg file[Area.067]Title=MaitlandLocal=sceneryMaitlandActive=TRUELayer=0673: Entered YMND for the airport.4: I've got the location of bglzip.exe set.At this point I expect to see something appear in fs_impbg.txt but nothing. Running Generate results in a few messages about databases but that's it.Can anyone offer any clues here please?Andrew Luck18 miles SW EGSH

Guest Dean

Tony,I've been busy with other things so I haven't had much time to do the step by step you requested. I am by no means an expert with this program but I have been able to successfully convert a few airports. I still can't get Simflyer's DFW to convert but it is the only problem I've had. There are parts of the program that I am not clear on but I'm hopeful the author will jump into the forum now and then to answer some questions. Do you have FS2002 installed or are you using the program by creating a dummy scenery.cfg file?

Guest Dean

>Tony, >I've been busy with other things so I haven't had much time >to do the step by step you requested. I am by no means an >expert with this program but I have been able to >successfully convert a few airports. I still can't get >Simflyer's DFW to convert but it is the only problem I've >had. There are parts of the program that I am not clear on >but I'm hopeful the author will jump into the forum now and >then to answer some questions. >>Do you have FS2002 installed? I'm sure having it installed has made the conversion process a lot easier for me. I'm not sure I'm smart enough to use it without FS2K2 installed.

Guest Fly II Pilot

Andrew:To begin with, I think you're missing the Area.067 line in your scenery.cfg file.Furthermore, I spent a whole morning trying to make it work and this is what I figured out:For some reason, it didn't work until I had more than one entry in the scenery.cfg or at least one more after the one I wanted to actually import. Just add another set, even if it's for a dummy scenery.Additionally, I had to type the "Local" line (using your scenery name as an example) as:Local=sceneryMaitlandscenery(notice that I added the scenery at the end).Again, not sure if this is necessary but it's worth giving it a try. It worked for me.Good luck!Alejandro AmigorenaCheshire, CT

Guest tonyc

Yes, Dean, I do have fs2002 installed.tony

Guest andrewluck

AlejandroThanks for the tips, I'll give them a try a bit later today and let you know. I do have the area.067 line in scenery.cfg (missed the line when I pasted it).It's been rather frustrating not being able to get this working so far. I'm still in a state of denial and shock that someone could actually produce a program which so raises the bar that it's out of sight!Andrew Luck18 miles SW EGSH

Guest andrewluck

AlejandroThanks for the tips. They worked well and I now have Glasgow (EGPF) converted. There are some anomolies but for a first try I'm well pleased.Andrew Luck18 miles SW EGSH

Hi Dean ,Have you been able show downtown scenery in the houston package? After conversion all the airport terminals are there ,but I had no luck with downtown scenery showing up.Have any clues?regardsguillermo

Guest Dean

Yes, the downtown buildings all show up. They really look good. The author did a great job with the models. In one building you can see the reflection of the building in front of it! I had to bump the number of 256_565 texture slots up to 60 because the frame rates were very low, 7-9, when the downtown area is in view. Bumping the slots to 60 put frame rates 20-22. I don't know if this is true of all scenery converted by FS Imports but at least this scenery uses the 256_565 slots and not the 256 slots which I have set at 40. I've no clue why your downtown buildings are not showing up. Try starting a flight out of HOU and change to an external view. When you rotate the view toward the N/NW you should see the downtown buildings. FSimports loads a file that adjusts the number of objects that appear to keep frame rates at a certain level. Use cntrl F7 to change to the full scenery mode instead of the default frame rate mode and see what happens. How much ram does your video card have?

Dean ,thanks for your reply; I've tried flying out of HOU with no results.I also have set the mode to full scenery and there's no downtown either..it's weird.I have a Geforce 4 with 64 mb of ddr. I wonder if this is a consequence of not having fs2k2 installed (I had to manually create a scenery.cfg). I'll try converting again and see what happens.regardsguillermo

Guest Dean

How big is the Houston pod you wind up with? I recall the pod was a little over 8 meg. If yours is smaller then the downtown models are being missed during the conversion process. This is one of the mysteries of FSImports I would like to better understand. People are getting different results for the same area. When I try to convert D/FW, I end up with only jetways, lots of them. But Bob Lyddy had no problem with D/FW. I'm sure it is something simple being overlooked.Now if I had access to the individual who wrote FSImports, :-hah I would consider doing a tutorial for it!

Resulting pod is 8 meg. ,I tried to re-convert a couple of times but no luck.I'm having two "texture not found" errors during the conversion process ,but I couldn't figure out why.thanksguillermo