Sign in to follow this  

"TRI, for RH sake, let FLY free" Further Thought...

Guest dajackman

After reading the thread: "TRI, for RH sake, let FLY free" I had this thought. I understand the copyright stuff but, what about Tri giving us some info on the multiplayer stuff. Be great if we didn't have to rely on their servers for multiplayer flight. If they are not going to "support" fly anymore, it would be nice if at least this info was published. Who nows when the multiplayer servers will be taken down for good. If we at least had something to work with, we could run our own servers. Seems this would benefit both Tri and the Fly people here. I for one would be willing to devote some hardware to host a fly multiplayer server. Any thoughts?One thing that may keep this from going anywere is if they use the same multiplayer code in some of their other software titles. Anyway, what are your thoughts?

Guest Chris Wallace

Good idea. All that would be needed are the protocol details, not necessarily any of the server code (though that would be nice too). But this too may be considered proprietary information. Alternatively, a completely new multiplayer server could be developed (portable so it could run on Linux), with a corresponding plug-in DLL for Fly! This would completely bypass the built-in multiplayer code. Even more work than the above, but quite possible if there was enough interest.Chris WallaceOttawa, Canada

Count me in as an interested person!Not sure if you suggest is technically possible, but I hope so.Dave

Guest dajackman

I knew Dave would agree. I would prefer it run on Linux, I'm pretty much 100% Linux here. Except for using Fly of course. Does anyone know who to contact from Tri on this?

Hm... I mailed one guy over at TalonSoft (hey, there's no proper contact link for Terminal Reality...)... No response yet.Then I mailed Tom Allensworth. Tom, might you please give us some proper e-mail address so we can look into possible possibilities, so to speak? At least I don't like giving up things easily.Thanks!Best regards,Dave