Sign in to follow this  

Want more disk space?

Anybody know where this is in 2000 Professional?? I'd sure like to free up some space on my HD?Thanks,Lance

Don't believe win2000 has a restore feature. Sorry. If it did, it would surely be under "system tools" or wherever defrag and scandisk are located.michael

Win 2000 does not have a restore function. I do not use it in my WinME system. I do back up my entire HD onto my second HD weekly and if I am in an incredible fiddle/tweak mode daily. You can purchase Western Digital 40gig HD 7200 RPM for $69 bucks on the net. Who needs system restore!Now that is good insurance!Tony

>You can purchase Western Digital 40gig HD 7200 RPM for $69 bucks on the net. Who needs system restore!Agreed...I use Drive Image, others use Ghost. Both tools are quick, easy and in my experience with DI professionally, bullet proof.Best,bt

I wasn't saying I needed it??? ;-) I wanted to get rid of it if I could. LOL!Thanks for the info.Lance

Guest Andrew

Well after using XP for a while I decided to remove an old 4G HDD (Noisy old thing it was) and use only my Seagate 80GB. Thats when I found I could not use the System Restore, it just crashes and says "This program cannot protect your system, please reboot and try again" ,and when I do it still refuses to run. If I plug the old 4G HDD back in restore works just fine. Some registry error there I think.Ps.... If I reinstall WindowsXP Pro (Full Version) from the CD how do I start with a freshly formated HDD? as XP has do DOS like old Windows95/98/ME did, with which I could reinstall so easialy.I Mean how do I install the drivers for the CD Rom Drive so that I can run the install program. Is there some way of makeing a startup disk like in 95/98/ME?Please Help.

Hey, don't knock W98/SE!I've used the following routine on a regular basis for some time now to back up windows in case I ever need to restore:Open a DOS window by clicking on MS-DOS PromptType cd to get to the rootType xcopy32 windows windows1 /h/e/r/c/k/yHit the 'd' key for directory when prompted.....and a complete and accurate copy of your windows folder will be created.If you need to restore windows from your backup then hold down the 'Ctrl' key as your machine boots and just before windows starts to load. Choose the option which drops you into DOS and at the C:> prompt type:ren windows windowsx (x can be any alphanumeric character)ren windows1 windowsPress the reset button and sit back with that satisfied smug feeling!.....and there you are back in the land of stability before your system threw a wobbly, simple and reliable :-jumpyWho needs System Restore!Hooray for good old MSDOS.....there's still life in the old dog yet ;)Mike :-wave

If it only uses 3Mbs of disk then I am quite happy to keep it. Most systems these days have 10Gbs or more of disk space. I always create a restore point before installing any downloads, and this has got me out of trouble more than once.

Guest Milio_B

Yeah, but remember it also takes up RAM, because the service must always be alert of you installing a new driver or anything...

Guest jase439

The amoung of RAM used for this service is negligible and most likely a majority of those pages of memory will reside on disk.I've used System Restore a number of times, especially when I know a driver or program has permanently hosed the registry in some way. The HD footprint for this feature is a bit much. Fortunately, this footprint is configurable. I think XP will, by default, devote up to 12% of your drive to this purpose. On a 100GB drive, that's 12GB of System Restore ;-)J

Guest Heather 636

Don't use it often but on more than one occasion it has saved my bacon. It's proved it's worth so gotta keep it.Right now, just coming up with a spare five bucks is tight so I won't tell anyone how cheap something is but most computers have an extra slot or two free where an additional hard drive can be installed.My system came with a 20-gig hard-drive and, believe it or not, it didn't take long to fill it. Not long ago I picked up a 40-gig hard-drive for about forty bucks and put it in; leaving the original hard-drive in place as a backup storage unit for critical files.Sure, 3 gig is quite a bit of space but then, hard-drives in the 20 to 40 gig capacity aren't all that expensive; usually no more than you would pay for a new game or the like at the store.Check Ebay if money is tight. There's lot's of them there. As long as you stick with a seller who has lots of positive feedbacks, as I do, you'll probably have good luck in your purchase.Cheers!Heather

This sounds like a bad idea. I have used system restore several times after some rather unpleasant experiments with overclocking. Hard drives are cheap. My time (screwing around with settings etc) is not. Colin

Stupid Attitude.Let's get rid of backups because I've never used them.Let's get rid of Antivirus software because I haven't seen a virus.Let's get rid of vcehicle side intrusion bars because I've never had an accident thats needed them.I have had a requirement to use the system restore when installing a third party application. The only way I could get my system back was to use a restore point.RegardsRussell Jourdain (NZL007/ZK-RHJ)P.S. You are correct diasbling / reducing the size of this will give more space, but my point is that there is a risk.

Why bother HD are dirt cheap these days 40gig 60 gig 80gig 100gig 120gig....pick your poison! Go on the web and you can get a 40 gig ATA100 7200RPM for $65! RegardsTony Ascaso, RN

Guest Milio_B

Well, in some countries HDs aren't cheap thanx to the IMF and stupid governments :)But we don't wanna go down that road.Yeah, I guess what I've should have adviced people to do is just reduce the amount of space used. When you like your system create a restore point and restore to there if you have a problem....but it's useless to have 30 restore points that in fact are the same.