Sign in to follow this  
Guest Paul Brooks

UK North West photo scenery update

As you'll have read Paul asked me to upload his 'UK North West' photo scenery. It will be all 4 parts if we can get the big 234Meg 'North Wales' through!Jeff Atkins reports (see post 'UK Birmingham FS Show') that he'd downloaded 1 part but had a 'couldn't find ..texture' message.I had all 4 in my PC and they tested OK, but Paul has just mentioned to me that the files overlap and don't seem to appear seperately.I think this would be because of the way Fly! 'pod's' everything in your data directory (relevant or not) when creating a new pod, or because Fly! usually doesn't cope with overlaps. That was explained a while ago by Todd (before he took up 'real flying fulltime'!).I'll try them out 'one at a time' and see what results I get.Don't throw the download's you've done away yet!DaveT

OK I've tried them all individually now.'Manchester Woodhead'does also require 'Manchester EGCC' to be installed in your Fly!scenery directory. (As of this moment Nov22nd at 0845 GMT Avsim have 'EGCC' but I'm waiting for it to be posted.)Go to 'EGCC' select 'slew' then 'Q' for 'up' and use the arrow key to go 'back'.After a while you'll pass over the join between the 2 sceneries.Part 4 is 'Woodvale' which I'm sending to Avsim now.It runs OK without the others installed.It's Blackpool,Warton and Woodvale airfields, alas we'll have to put Woodvale into the Fly! database.Part 1 is North Wales, this is the 234Meg big one. It runs OK without the others. If this fails to get through again then Paul will try and split it.A pity because accurate alignment is so important for photo scenery!DaveT

OOps As all ways in life I'm behind the times!All 4 parts are in the Avsim Fly!library, I guess I didn't get the usual Avsim notification, or see them in the 'main page listings'.Found 3 parts by putting in 'VFR' to the 'Fly!2 Scenery' lib search.Found the last part by putting in 'Woodvale'. (Oh that library search engine!)A thought on how these sceneries look- I've been running 'the other sim' with Visual Flights 1.6 Meg disc of 'VFR Photo Scenery S&SE England'.John Farrie did a great job in getting this enormous amount of scenery data on a commercial release and I'll get the next 2 as well. However they doesn't really look any better than the jpeg made sceneries that Paul and myself have done for Fly!. Even with the 4.8Meg res and given the undoubted use of uncompressed pics for the 'Visual Flight' release this scenery looks about as good in Fly!So enjoy the best sim with the best real landscape below you now. DT

Guest pilotsim7828

I Dont have the # 3 Download , Could that be the problem? I also put the seperate folders one at a time to see which folder was giving me the problem, But they all did the same thing. First I put the all of the files in the Fly! IIScenery Folder, Then i took all of them out , And put one of them at a time in the Folders to see which one was giving me the problem. Same error came up. Jeff Akins

It seems that this is the problem... I don't have it too, and get an error message (missing texture). Hope we will see it soon in the libary. This scenery seems fantastic.Yves

As I mentioned above you need to have both Part 2 'Manchester EGCC' and Part 3 'Manchester Woodhead' installed as they 'interact'. Paul did 'snap to Globe Tile' when he made the Terrascene tiles (original background overlayed with the photos) however some overlapping has occured here.The other 2, Part 1 North Wales and Part 4 Woodvale, both open individually OK I believe.Well worth getting all this stuff folks if you can download it OK. 'GetRight' or similar download tool that picks up stopped downloads is a must these days. DaveT

Guest Paul Brooks

Yves and JeffYou must have Woodhead in the Fly scenery folder for the whole package to work.I had particular problems with EGCC and Woodhead, at first I could not see Woodhead at all, then I realised that if the tiles don't overlap then one, in this case Woodhead, wouln't display. It took about seven or eight renderings to make Woodhead display, and even then the joint was slightly out, but I am confident that if you have all four scenery files you will not have any problems.Hope this helps.Paul

Guest pilotsim7828

Yes , IT DOES WORK !!!!! Here`s Some Pics.... Jeff Akins aka: Pilotsim7828:-beerchug Whoops ! 190 on final? Go Around:-smile12

My apologize first for my terrific english ! I'm frenchie.I installed the 4 part of UK MAnchester scene. When I run from any airport of these scene I obtain this message :"Unable to open model SBRD6.BIN."What does it mean please ?

Guest Paul Brooks

Hi Robert,I think that it is more to do with some model rather than the scenery, try re-naming you data folder to data-1 and try again,if the scenery is ok then its a model file of some decripotion.Paul