Sign in to follow this  
Guest Fly II Pilot

NVidia 40.72 & Aircraft Flicker Problem

Anyone using the new NVidia Detonator drivers? I'm on WinXP Home Edition, using the GF4 Ti4600. I noticed since upgrading the driver last week that my airplanes seem to flicker in all exterior views. Nothing horrific, but visually annoying.Seems to happen on all planes, although I've noticed that this problem happens nearly all the time, but once in a while I'll launch Fly!2 and the planes will look fine. Very odd.-DK----David KohlFly! II v230Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 1024MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v40.72, WinXP Home Edition.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

Guest chezz

I read about the XP refresh rate (this might cost the flicker). I'm using the same Nvidia driver but on WindowsME.http://www.tomshardware.com/chrisrpllsoyo kt400256 xms corsair pc2700140 g HDgforce 64 mx400fly2 patch 230directx8.1b

Dave;I downloaded the same driver two days ago and have found no flickering of the aircraft in Fly II. Since reading your post I tried numerous aircraft of all types and found they all performed normally. I am using the Nvidia TI4400 card. You have a more powerful system than I do with a larger cpu and more ram, same Win.XP version. The only difference I have noticed is my ground graphics seems sharper than before I have found nothing negative in Fly II since installing the 40.72 driver. I have also found no differences on my other flight sims using this driver. Hope you find out what is causing you the flickering. Phil

Hello David:I too, updated to the new NVidia Detonator driver. I'm still running on Win98SE, (about to install Win2000), and using the GF4 Ti44oo. I'm not having any problems so far. Getting beautiful graphics. I hope that I am able to maintain the same results when I switch over to Win2000! I wish that I could help!!!Curtis

Thanks Chezz and David_V, but I don't think this is a refresh rate problem. I have previously installed the NVidia Refresh Rate fix, and now can adjust refresh rates on my monitor no problem. I've tried several rates to no avail.And please note that ONLY the aircraft flutter, and then only in the exterior views. So I'm wondering if there are different sorts of textures on aircraft than on other scenery (TM / ground / sky).I'll keep an eye on the posts here. So far nobody else seems to have the problem, but the driver is still pretty new.Thanks.-DK----David KohlFly! II v230Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 1024MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v40.72, WinXP Home Edition.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

DK-I have the exact same problem - I get flickering on all aircraft in exterior views. I'm using an 85 Hz refresh rate.Another person in the beta group reported the same issue. I have an idea as to what it may be, but I'm buried in testing other items right now.I'll try a few adjustments and see if it disappears.

Randall Rocke

Hi Dave, What is your render.ini file for the 1024 textures set to? I use 2 on mine, and am using the 40.72's with no problem (Ti4200). Just a thought...Cheers!Ken WoodCNN International Weather :-sun1

Kenneth E Wood Jr  🌪️🌩️

ex AG1, USN (14yr Vet) Weather Foecaster

Two as well.-DK----David KohlFly! II v230Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 1024MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v40.72, WinXP Home Edition.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

I'm glad you posted this because I have the exact same issue. Here is my setup if it helps us diagnose this:Windows XP Professional patched to SP1nVidia Detonator 4.72 driverGeForce3 TI 200 128 MBDell 8100 (P4 1.3, 512 MB RAM)We'll have to follow this through together and see if we can solve it.

I should note that I'm patched to SP1 for WinXP Home Edition too.-DK----David KohlFly! II v230Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 1024MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v40.72, WinXP Home Edition.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

Guest Hagar

I don`t think it is a refresh rate problem, since I have a pure digital connection (DVI) from my Ti4600 to the TFT flatscreen. I also experience flickering on aircraft with the 40.72 driver / Winxp with SP1. It was no flickering with the 40.41 drivers.

I flew the Aurora Dragonfly (I think that's the name of the aircraft - its the TRI-stock black high-performance version of the Aurora B200) in Chambery France (ROTW's Chambery TerraModels Airport loaded). I loaded Fly!2 and took a 30 minute flight in the area with no flickering. Unfortunately, I didn't have time this weekend to do any testing (re-run same config, change aircraft, etc.). I wanted to point this out - perhaps someone else can do some testing.-DK----David KohlFly! II v230Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 1024MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v40.72, WinXP Home Edition SP1.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

That was me, and it has nothing to do with the refresh rate. I believe it has something to do with how TRI implemented the environment mapping because if you turn it off, the flickering stops as far as I can tell. I haven't had time to do a lot of testing. See if that takes care of it for you, DK.nick

Anyone ever figure out how to fix this?-DK----David KohlFly! II v230Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 1024MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v40.72, WinXP Home Edition SP1.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.