Sign in to follow this  

FS2002 ATC frequently irritates us all by..............

Guest United

changing the landing runway when the surface wind shifts and not telling us until we're on final. My question is how indeed does a real tower handle approaching aircraft when the winds do suddenly shift to the opposite heading and how close in will they ask an aircraft to miss the approach???

In the real world, it depends a great deal on how strong the wind is and how much the vector moved. If it went from a strong crosswind to a strong tailwind and a downwind landing could be a problem because of a short runway, the tower might it when you are on final. If it isn't a strong wind, they would probably wait until the traffic is lighter. Of course, it is completely up to the pilot to decide what to do. The tower isn't flying the airplane, you are.

MSFS2002 handles it pretty close to real-world. Unless fuel considerations are a priority or the weather is closing down, the controllers can instruct the miss almost any time for wind or traffic conflict. Try doing the backcourse at ALN after being established on the front course final when it's 900/1.I was pattern flying at CPS (St. Louis Downtown Parks) on more than one occasion with a full pattern and more on the way from the south practice area when the runway direction has changed. I felt sorry for the controller. She really had her hands full on a beautiful, sunny, great WX flying day trying to juggle all of these aircraft around to get them going in the opposite direction. The parallel runway helped.I've been directed away from the airport and told to orbit (hold VFR)in the area until re-sequencing can be done. I've been told to "Go around" to change the pattern direction. The variations are endless. It depends on traffic, proximity to a major airport, weather, obstruction clearance height and noise abatement procedures.I e-mailed MSFS20002 crew a while ago about several ATC related issues. Especially being ignored by the tower controller on departure after being told to "Hold short". Take off anyway and your clearance will be cancelled.Another issue is the fact you may have a jetliner or other AC land nearly on top of you while you are on the roll-out. The controller forgetting to tell the inbound on final to "Execute the missed approach."Captain: I thought you lowered the gear!" First Officer: You said YOU were going to do that!"

Guest United

considering obtaining a real pilot's license soon, I kinda wondered what I'd run into. Sounds like you have to be ready for just about anything!

LOL and if you are as unfortunate as me, my small airport is also the training airport for ATCs-Student Pilot and Trainee ATCO-fantastic team!Santanu>considering obtaining a real pilot's license soon, I kinda >wondered what I'd run into. Sounds like you have to be ready >for just about anything!