Sign in to follow this  
Guest Colins2

Fly!II install with DVD drive

Guest Niels_C

Hello Fly!ersI have one big problem. My DVD drive won't accept my Fly!IICD, and wonder why? The sim has been installed before, butwith my old CD-ROM drive.The install stops at around 72% and then bark about somefile-error (away from computer at home). I am getting a bitdesperate for a King Air and Hawker fix! Please help.Fly safe, -Niels Christiansen

Well I don't know why it would be a problem, I installed fly2! on my new cpu la year, it has a pioneer DVD drive and the install went fine... Do you have two cdroms on your pc?Or did you replace your CD rom with a DVD rom?In both cases, I wouldn't see why it's a probleme to reinstall.. very strange.cheers

Guest Niels_C

Hi there Thomas,Absolutely strange. It's a Pioneer DVD-103S, and the shop where Ibougth Fly!II just shrugged and said that some DVD drives are likethat. The CD installed fine on the shops CD equipped machine.Maybe I should simply reinstall my CD drive, but it would be nearlyisiotic that it would have to be so.Cointrin Airport, but your name is Swedish?-Niels Christiansen, EKRK

Hi Niels,Well I have the 106-s or something like that and it works fine... So I really don't know...My father is Swedish, my mother is Canadian and they met in Geneva... So there's one answer.Nice to see fellow Sweeds here (unfortunately I don't speak a word of that "strange" language)cheers

If you get to 72%, it wouldn't be a problem with the drive. Check the disc for cracks, spots etc. Try cleaning it carefully.Also, if you're installing on top of an old Fly! II installation try removing *.hst files in your Aircraft directory. There was also another type that I can't remember right now. You might try moving the whole Aircraft directory away if removing the *.hst files doesn't work and you want to keep the installation.If you don't want to keep an existing installation simply remove the installation and try the CD again.Last, what exact error message do you get?Regards,Dave

Guest artl

I have had problems with an older Pioneer CD-ROM, but that does not automatically translate into bad Pioneer DVD drives also. (Although when I specified my new system, a Pioneer DVD was one thing I avoided on purpose, and went Sony.)However, you should not have any problems reading a FLY2 cd with a dvd reader. You might try something like viruscan "all files" to see if there is a file that the reader won't read. If such files show up, try the same thing on a friend's system. If her system has no problem, it would almost certainly be the reader, and it should be replaced.Art.

Generally, the other "file(s)" would be the .SIT files... ;-)Not sure if this would make much difference, either. Sometimes though, it might be necessary to revert to older driver files than newer (as evidenced back a bit with the 30.xx nVidia versus say the 29.xx or wwaayy back wqith the 12.4x video drivers!). So one could see if they can get their hands on some older driver files, long as you aren't running WinXP. Just a thought! :-)Cheers!Ken WoodCNN International Weather :-sun1

Kenneth E Wood Jr  🌪️🌩️

ex AG1, USN (14yr Vet) Weather Foecaster

Guest Colins2

NielsJust a thought, but have you turned off your virus software?I seem to remember that problem coming up for some users.Failing that, you could also copy the CD to a temp directory and then install from there.I remember also some discussion about the CD/DVD being on the same IDE channel as the destination HD, but I don't remember if that was a real or imagined problem.Colin