Sign in to follow this  
Guest Dean

fsimp1011-fsimp102 : Objects disappears and comeback

Hello,Since I have downloaded this utility, the winter evenings/nights are too short ...I have great fun with this program by converting MSFS sceneries; it is always a surprise what the result is ...I don't have MSFS at all and use a folder c:fsaddon with the necessary sub-folders as described in the readme file with an scenery.cfg created with a text editor.I use an Athlon 1,4 Ghz mP with 196kB RAM mem and a Hercules video card with 32MB mem.What I have observed is that in most of my Belgian sceneries part of the scenery and finally the whole scenery disappears and comebacks slowly constantly when moving around.With fsimpV1.0 the 'rate' of 'refreshings?' is significant lower compared with fsimpV1.02. How can this be explained ?I asked myself if playing with the render.ini file is a solution ? or has the render.ini only effect on the frame rate ?Is upgrading my RAM mem to 512kb RAM a solution ? or is my graphic card with 32 mem too low ?Any idea/feedback is welcome. Thanks, Marc

Guest Fly II Pilot

Marc:1)Go to weather.yahoo.com, select the city where you think the evenings/nights are too short and take note of the sunset and sunrise. Then start Fly! II, go to Options, Date & Time, change from UTC to Local, enter the sunrise time, close the Date & Time window and then change the view to see where the sun is. Then do the same but enter the sunset time instead.I did this using Windsor Locks (where KBDL is located) where sunrise is supposed to be at 7:11am and sunset at 4:20pm. I found that Fly! II is off by about an hour. Meaning that sunrise was a 8:11am and sunset was at 5:20pm. Still, the day/night time was correct.Anyway, I don't think FS_IMP has anything to do with the evenings/nights issue that you mention.2)I'm going to leave the FS_IMP explanations regarding the appearing/disappearing models to Padraic. He can explain to you what FS_IMP is doing. I think it is due to the polygon count (it's trying to maintain it under a certain value) and it is also trying to maintain a certain amount of FPS defined in your fs_scnry.txt file.If the scenery has a lot of models and especially high-detailed ones, your video card will run out of memory slots and will start swapping textures which will bring your simulation FPS down significantly if not to 4.0 FPS.With the video card memeory you have, what you may want to try is converting the scenery using 64bit textures instead of 128 or 256. This will allow you to have more individual but smaller textures (because they take up less memory), thus reducing the swapping, by editing your render.ini file.Maybe someone else can explain this better, but at least that's how I understand Fly! II works...Hope this helps!Alejandro AmigorenaCheshire, CTAthlon XP 1800ABIT KR7A-RAID768Mb RAMGeForce 3 64MBSB Audigy GamerCH Flight Yoke USBCH Pro Pedals USB

Guest tonyc

This is a bug in fsi 1.2. I think Padraic will be correcting this in the next upgrade.tony

Guest Dean

I hope he does but I don't think this is a bug. I think it is by design with 1.02. the new text in the 1.02 readme kinda of indicates this to me. I tend to agree with Alejandro on this one. I think Marc is seeing the effects of FSimports adjusting the scenery to keep frame rates up. Try changing the mode to full scenery and see if it stops. I think the winter nights may be shorter because Marc is having fun with FSImports. ;)

Guest Fly II Pilot

Roy:The problem YOU mention IS a known bug and I think Padraic is looking into that. The problem that Marc refers to is different, note that he doesn't mention the editor at all.What he sees is a loop where the scenery gradually appears (like models popping up) filling the whole scene. At a certain point all of a sudden everything disappears and then slowly the models start to pop up one by one again.Regards,Alejandro AmigorenaCheshire, CTAthlon XP 1800ABIT KR7A-RAID768Mb RAMGeForce 3 64MBSB Audigy GamerCH Flight Yoke USBCH Pro Pedals USB

Thanks for the feedback I received sofar.Indeed, Alejandro, the 'winter nights' are getting shorter because the fun I have with FS_IMP. I am going to re-do my sceneries by converting the seceneries using 64bit textures i.s.o. of the 1024bit and comeback to you with my feedback.Note that indeed I don't use the Fly editor at all ...what Alejandro rephrases in his reply is exactly the issue : a loop where the scenery gradually appears and at a certain point all of a sudden everything disappears ....and comesback ....have a nice day, Marc

Guest Dean

>I am going to re-do my sceneries by converting the >seceneries using 64bit textures i.s.o. of the 1024bit and >comeback to you with my feedback.I guess I missed this part. No question the 1024 setting is part of the problem. You typically only have 1 or 2 1024 textures slots. With a 32 meg card you should see good results at 64bit. I use 256 bit with a 64 meg card with good results. This is part of the new text in the readme which at least implies to me that editing the converted scenery is no longer an option. I hope I am misinterpreting; The goal of FSI is to produce ready-to-fly sceneries. It doesthis by placing source models and taxiways there where they havebeen defined and by moving runways, ILS and NAVAIDs in the Fly!databases to synchronise with them. By editing generated sceneriesyou are doing the opposite - keeping Fly! databases and shiftingmodels to match. This is not advised as -