Sign in to follow this  
RandallR

A Problem with C4TOV2.0 in Fly!II

Hi All, I gather support for C4TO is covered here in this forum. I've finally got to install my copy of Fly!II after purchasing an 80Gb hard drive (FS2k2 filled my old 10Gb one). I noticed here in the list of essential software C4TO and installed FlyScripts etc and got it all going. All goes well, with Clearance, Ground, Tower and Departure all passing me round, and ending up with Centre. When I get a suitable distance from my arrival airport (flitting around Alaska at the moment, duplicating the recently completed Pan Americana 2002 fly-in) Centre passes me off to Departure, but I keep getting the message 'Not In Range' in a small box on the bottom left of the screen. This has now happened on two flights at two different airports. In both cases, I can contact approach with the old ATC and land (up to this point in the flight, I haven't invoked it). Where am I going wrong or is this a known bug in C4TO and I should go back to the old method? I used to love Fly!I which I patched up to 2k standard some time ago and would love to get to grips with Fly!II as I've become a helicopter afficionado in the meantime and the proper procedures for the Bell 407 look fascinating!Thanks for any helpColin Beggmailto:Colin.Begg@ntlworld.com

Guest tonyc

I don't remember exactly, but it may have to do with that particular station not being in the database. Try using FSbuild for your flight plans and see how often you get the 'not in range' message. If it's rare, it's probably a database omission. You can add these simply by reading up on how to edit the database.tony

Hello Colin,Not in range means exactly what it says - you've attempted to contact a station that is too far away - "it's not in range". This is a rare occurance, but it does happen.Occasionally, C4TO will hand you off to approach when you are too far away - when you change frequencies and call them up you will get no response (they can't hear you) and you'll get the "Not in Range" report. Simply do what you would do in the real world - fly along for a few miles to get closer, then call them again.When this happens, I fly for about 3 miles, then call again - if I still get no response, I'll fly another 3 miles or so and try again. Eventually, I'm close enough, Approach responds and the approach and handoff to tower proceed normally.

Randall Rocke

Thanks, Tony, I'll look for a database editing tool. What database does C4TO use? Note as I said, Fly's own ATC let me contact Approach (on the same frequency) and complete the flight, even though C4To insisted that frequency was not in range right to touch down! Does C4TO maintain its own database. OK on using FSBuild. I've had that for some time, but not checked the Fly options as it wasn't installed. I will try that now and see how that goes.Cheers,Colin Begg

Guest tonyc

It's the fly2 database that you should find in the fly folder. Editing the database is fairly simple.Just back up the original.tony

Colin,There is a situation where an error in the Communications database for a particular airport will create a conflict in communication for that airport. One possible scenario is where there is a matched frequency btwn Approach/Tower/CTAF, etc. At which airport is this problem occurring?Editing the DB is not difficult, but takes a little time to learn and must be done with care. The communications DB is in COMM.POD. I would recommend downloading Vol!Edit, which allows direct access to the COMM.DBI file within the pod for easier DB-editing. There is a FAQ at the top of the Developers' Forum that includes a text listing of many of the database parameters.

Randall Rocke

Hi Randall, Its happened at every Alaskan airport I've visited yet, including Nuiqsut PAQT, Deadhorse PASC, Anaktuvuk Pass PAKP, Bettles PABT, Fairbanks International PAFA and just now at Talkeetna PATK. This last one I used a FSBuild plan, which was happily created and loaded. In every case, the built-in ATC has enabled me to complete the landing (as a visual approach, since I never filed a plan with the built-in ATC) using the Approach Frequency tuned by C4TO. I'll get Vol!Edit downloaded and have a play with it, thanks. I know the supplied editors are SCARY as I've ran one or two up as a trial when I had problems with Fly!I (patched to 2k) on a round the world. Thanks for the help so far, perhaps you could peruse one or two of those airports and see if there's anything amiss? Cheers,Colin (trying to figure out how to start the B200). I'm out of practice!

My, oh my, oh my!I just took a peak at the airports you listed - it's a wonder that any of them work, even with the default ATC!First of all, the reason C4TO can't contact Approach Control is every one of the airports you listed has Approach &/or COM frequencies listed outside of the tuneable capabilities of Fly!Fly!/Fly!II's COM radio can be tuned up to 135 MHz. But whoever made the DBs for the Alaskan airports listed not only tuneable frequencies below 135, but other frequencies as well. These optional Approach and Departure frequencies exceed 300 MHz, making them untunable in Fly! What is happening is C4TO is checking the DB for the Approach frequency and choosing the highest number. As this frequency is beyond Fly!s capabilities, you get shut down when all communication fails. Here's a listing of your airports - please note the proliferation of unuseable frequencies (anything above 135.00).Nuiqsut (PAQT) - Approach/Departure: 134.40, 370.90Deadhorse (PASC) - Approach/Departure: 134.40, 370.90Anaktuvak Pass (PAKP) - Approach/Departure: 124.60, 352.00Bettles (PABT) - 124.60, 352.00Fairbanks Int. (PAFA) - Departure: 327.10, 126.50, 381.40, 125.35, 363.30; Approach: 118.60, 363.20, 126.50, 381.40, 125.35Talkeetna (PATK) - Approach/Departure: 125.55, 254.30Not only are these frequencies messed up, but many of the ID codes and airport names are also messed up in the AIRPORT.POD!I know that there were a number of persons that worked on the creation of these DBs for Fly! - most of them did a huge, outstanding (and tedious) job. However, whoever made the Alaskan DBs messed up big time!I'll repair these airport names and COM frequencies and send you 2 DEX files that you will need to import to make repairs. You will need Frank Racis' DexImport program in order to import the changes (very easy to use).I'm going to need your e-mail address in order to send the files. You can reach me at Capvideo@columbus.rr.com . I'll have your fixes ready within the hour.

Randall Rocke