Sign in to follow this  

3d views in FS20002 for almost nothing. Cheaper then LC

What a brilliant thread! Thanks to denodan for bringing this to everyone's attention. Like many I thought it was just for shutter glasses.To make the glasses you could try printing a Red and Cyan block on to an OHP transparency using an inket printer. As for the colours on the glasses, Red and Blue will entirely block out all the green light. Not very good for flight sims if you fly over green scenery. Use Red and Green and you filter all the Blue. Black sea anyone?Red and Cyan it better - Cyan is Blue + Green so you get green light through as well - with the red in the other eye you should then get all three primary colours through.The bad thing is that the NVidia 3D drivers do not seem to work with my GeForce Ti4600. I only got them working with my Geforce 2 :-(Anyone else having probs with GeForce4's??PaulEGJJ

I got some very cheap sunglasses, and took the lenses out of the, and then taped a blue and red peace of cellopne over them and works well. By the way I double the layer, and is still good enough to let most colours through, works great for fs2002, and look almost real. The Driver to awhie before I got used to seting up my glasses, but now can get it pretty good, not perfect, but still nice. Going to buy a decent pear of 3D glasses now, seen some high quaily red/blue ones which will be clearer than the ones I made, but they will do till I receive them through the post.

I tried the ink-jet printing on OHP transparencies and didn't have much luck. The red didn't filter out the blue well enough.Just ordered a pair of the cardboard ones.PaulEGJJ

I've tryed the redgreen glasses that I got with ATP and it works so-so. I notice with my setup that if I come out of 3d and try to go back in I lose the 3d effect and have to change resolution to get it back. Also it a little dark for daytime flying. I'll mess with different settings to see if I can improve the visuals.

Here is what I found. Two layers of blue and red cellophne is the right combo. I tried 3, was ok, but a bit dark, one layer is to light.Yet with two layers is light enough to let the normal colours through.With the 3d driver, you can customise the colours, so if you have red and cryan, or green, then you have costumize your colours.Also if it is to dark you can increase the gamma with the hot keys.ctrl+G and Alt+G, one of these makes it lighter, or darker.With the hotkeys you can do djustments in the game.I would also recommend you download the 3d Graphics driver manual and read it, or print it out.Takes a bit of playing with, but all I can say is WOW!!!Not perfect, but is still amazing. Just don't sperate the 3d effect a lot, but just enough to give the 3d effect.For something that costs almost nothing this is fantasic, and it is worth investing on a good pair of red/blue glasses, which I have done, as these will produce clearer images than homemande ones, or the cardborad ones, having glass lenses, and better transperancy then cellophne.And since the image 3d shift only offsets red and blue your framerates are much higher than the LCD glasses, or the shutter glasses, as these produce two sperate images with all colours offset, which is more taxing on your system than just offsetting red and blue.

A BIG thank you to all that have reported this and have given tips. I just tried it and it does work - with IL-2, that is. When I try to run FS2k2 my machine locks up just when it's going to go into 3D mode. Everyone here is not having problems with FS, right?

The anaglyph method works fine in FS2002I have a pair of red/blue glasses. The are marked:John Wayne HONDO 3DI vaguely remember that movie, It was indeed a color shifted3D movie ... when ? perhaps 15-20 years agoStill have the glasses, 2 pair. Cardboard with cellophane film.Only difference is that the movie had blue on the left.No matter, just folded them the other way,Previous poster is correct in that one can use a lower vertical refresh, although I have been testing them at 100 Hz and 1152x864 resolution. No flicker whatsoever. I also have the Asus VR100 shutter glasses which came with this Asus GF3 display adapter. There are some color artifacts with the red/blue but they are much lighter and comfortable to wear. The shutter glasses are heavy, not well balanced and keep falling off.So go for it fellow simmers. If you have an Nvidia display adapter download the stereo drivers, read the (big) pdf instruction file and enjoy.Peter

You should see the stereo glasses with the Tracker IR. This is how the view should be in the vc............Have A Good Day !!!! Rex

This looks really interesting guys, has anyone got a direct link to the driver files.Thanks in advanceMark Underwood(Adelaide, Australia)

Yes, TrackIR and 3d in a VC is the coolest thimg I've ever seen on a PC. :D Try a chopper in the middle of a big city!!! :DI finally got FS2k2 to work. Just in case anyone else has this problem - I had to set it to go into stereo mode via key press. I had orignally set it to start right away and that was causing it to lock up. If I start in normal mode and then switch to stereo it works fine.One other question. I'm using red & blue lenses, and I'm losing all color - looks pretty much black and white. I don't have any cyan colored lenses, would that help? Is anyone, using this method, retaining the original colors? If so, how? Thanks again for pointing this trick out!

How dark are your glasses, as I have pretty much all the colours showing in my Red/Blue glasses, but are a bit darker than without the glasses. Also turn up your gamma on your monitor using the hit keys ctrl + G and alt + G. I tried 3 layers of cellophane with my homemade glasses, but was a bit dark. If they are too dark you lose to much colour, and two light it does not work.As a messure if you place 2 layers of cellophane together this is an idel darkness. sure the colours are slightly changed, and a bit darker, but should not look black and white.Also I found having a low end computer the best resolution for me is 640X480 in 3D. I can use 800X600, only just, but 640X480 gives me the best results in 3D.You ceriantly have to drop your res down a lot, in 3D.

I think the red/ Cyan lenses are a lighter shade, and may work a bit better, but read they may also cause more ghosting, and being a lighter shade may not work as well. These are made to give a more skin like colour texture on photos etc, so may have better colour when viewed.But hope someone other than me is trying this, and trying different colours to see what happens, would be intereesting to see if someone is using red/cyan comb.Also if you are using different colours, remember to match these colours used in the 3d driver, as it's setup for standard red/blue.You can change the colours to suite your colours your using. There is a custom colour setup so if your using red/green then you must change that colour to green, else it will not work.

Guest sunstriker

HiThanks Denodan and all Ive been running FS in 1280 res all day with a pair of cardboard red/green glasses from an old puzzle bookI am using GTU to set stereo and it is really just amazing.The 3d is really good GF3 Ti200 but the color tone is a bit off, can I readust each color to make it look more natural also is there another stereo control I can only find it in GTU?Try it a night AMAZING!!Thx Sun

Well, after thinking this through and doing a bit of experimenting, I think I can explain this a little more. As someone up the thread already stated, in order to see all the colors coming through you must let all three primary colors pass through the lenses you're using. So, you must use one of these combinations - red/cyan, yellow/blue or green/magenta. For example. if you use red/blue you're cutting off all green light from your eyes. I've been trying out different combos using a bunch of colored lighting gels I have lying around. I don't have a good green one so I haven't tried the green/magenta combo yet. So far the yellow/blue is the best, but I'm getting a bunch of bleed through though. For the best results you have to match the color of the lens with what your monitor is putting out perfectly.I ordered a set of those "professional :) " glasses form the link given above, but they only come in red/blue. I'm hoping I can use one of the lenses with someting else to make a good combo.One issue I'm having however is if I try to set the drivers to use anything other than pure colors or combinations (i.e., use 255 for the number for blue and green to make cyan) I get severe banding in game. Is everyone else seeing this also?Since I use an LCD monitor, this is the only way I can get 3D (LCDs don't work with the shutter glasses). It really is an amazing effect when you get it working.

Guest Mark_Herring

How about posting a screen cap so we can try it out with our own 3D glasses before making the jump? It'd be interesting to see what it looks like.