Sign in to follow this  
Guest Doc Parano

Help! My first bug with th new patch!

Guest Fly II Pilot

Doc (and other French users):Would you mind conducting a little experiment?Is there any chance that you may have already had a METAR.WIN file in your UItemplates folder? To try this, temporarily rename METAR.WIN to METAR.WAN, start Fly! II and try to open the METAR window. Let me know if you get a CTD (Crash To Desktop).I think the problem revolves around the fact that either you already had a METAR.WIN file or that there's a POD with a higher priority mount than PATCH.POD that contains an older version of the METAR.WIN file. The question is which file...Let's see what happens after renaming METAR.WINAlejandro AmigorenaCheshire, CTAthlon XP 1800ABIT KR7A-RAID768Mb RAMGeForce 3 64MBSB Audigy GamerCH Flight Yoke USBCH Pro Pedals USB

Guest DSandberg

If your guess is correct, you're absolutely right that this could account for the problem.- David Sandberg (Fly II beta team member, and creator of InfoMETAR)

Guest Doc Parano

Thanks Alejandro!You're right the trouble is here: with previous Metar.win in UItemplates.I've not tried your solution yet, but I guess it's a good way to correct the bug!Some french flyers have run into an other bug with Teleport.win in the same folder! The way to correct is the same I guess!Strange! French are not so different than the Rest Of The World! ;)

Guest Fly II Pilot

Doc:It makes perfect sense. What happens is that if you have any files in the UITemplates folder and you have searchPodFilesFirst=0 in your fly.ini (which most users do), Fly will read the one in that folder and ignore any others that it may find in any POD file.So to add to the confusion, any user who has searchPodFilesFirst=1 most likely won't have this problem.Please let us know what happens!Thanks!Alejandro AmigorenaCheshire, CTAthlon XP 1800ABIT KR7A-RAID768Mb RAMGeForce 3 64MBSB Audigy GamerCH Flight Yoke USBCH Pro Pedals USB

Guest Doc Parano

Alejandro,Your supposition is right!With "SearchPodFilesFirst=1" in Fly.ini no problem with Metar and Flight Plan!But it's not a reasonable solution because a lot of add-ons and modifications need "SearchPodFilesFirst=0" to function!And the mystery remains whole!Thanks!

Guest Fly II Pilot

Doc:Did you try renaming the METAR.WIN and TELEPORT.WIN files to *.WAN? If so, what happens?Thanks,Alejandro AmigorenaCheshire, CTAthlon XP 1800ABIT KR7A-RAID768Mb RAMGeForce 3 64MBSB Audigy GamerCH Flight Yoke USBCH Pro Pedals USB

Guest DSandberg

I agree that renaming (or simply removing) those extracted files is clearly going to be the long-term solution.The question I now have is why those files were extracted in the first place for so many French users, and not by anyone else. Is the French release different in that way? Or is some add-on responsible?- David Sandberg (Fly II beta team member, and creator of InfoMETAR)

Guest Doc Parano

Ajejandro,I renamed the "Metar.win" to "Metar.wan" and the bug disappeared!There is no more conflict but it's not an explanation! Isn't it?David,Some french players encounter the problem, others no!I thought the bug was perhaps only with the european version...but in fact no.Do you think it's a Pod priority problem?Best regards!

Guest DSandberg

At this point I'm pretty confident in saying that this is not a bug. I'm assuming that METAR.WIN (whether in the podfile or unpodded) contains resources related to the Load Metar dialog. It's a fact that Richard altered that dialog in the final patch. If anyone has an old version of that file unpodded, and has Fly II set to not look in podfiles first, then obviously Fly II is going to pick up the older version of that file, which will then be incompatible with the dialog resources that the new EXE needs to find. Result: program crashes.The one thing I still don't know is why those files were unpodded on so many French installations of Fly II, and apparently not on many if any other installations. If one or more add-ons purposefully unpodded and modified the old version of METAR.WIN, such add-ons will have to be recreated, using the new version of METAR.WIN as their starting point, if they want to be used with the final patch.- David Sandberg (Fly II beta team member, and creator of InfoMETAR)

Guest Doc Parano

David,Yes the word "bug" is out of doubt inadequate.But it's so strange! Isn't it?I don't see what add-on has unpoded and modified Metar.win AND/OR Teleport.win and perhaps another .win file in the UItemplates folder in French installations - and more particularly in mine -(but not in all of them!) and also in others countries (teleport.win as it seems!)Bizarre, bizarre!

Guest Fly II Pilot

Bingo!Just went to Simvol and if a user installed the Texte-francais_2.zip addon, in addition to putting the text file in the data folder, it also creates a whole new set of .WIN files in the UITemplates folder, most likely to accomodate the text in French which tends to run a little bit longer than English.You'll find this addon under Fichiers Fly! II > Utilitaires > Textes en fr.Doc, please tell you DID have it installed... ;-)Alejandro AmigorenaCheshire, CTFly! II Beta Team MemberAthlon XP 1800ABIT KR7A-RAID768Mb RAMGeForce 3 64MBSB Audigy GamerCH Flight Yoke USBCH Pro Pedals USB

Guest DSandberg

Good sleuthing, Alejandro! That seems like a very likely culprit.- David Sandberg (Fly II beta team member, and creator of InfoMETAR)

Guest Doc Parano

Alejandro,Your hypothesis is very probable and must be verified! Fred will do it!Did I install Texte-francais_2.zip ? Of course yes!Thanks for your help!The new patch brings real improvements! :DBravo