Sign in to follow this  
rodger

A word about METARs with the final patch ...

Guest DSandberg

If you use InfoMETAR's Thinning functionality in conjunction with this final patch for Fly II, you will most likely get the best results if you set the "Minimum miles between included stations" in the Thinning Settings dialog to 0 miles. With this last patch, Fly II's METAR interpolation routine has been improved to where it seems to be working pretty well, especially in areas with dense METAR coverage, so that particular feature of InfoMETAR's thinning algorithm should no longer be required in most cases.Nonetheless it is still worthwhile to use InfoMETAR in conjunction with the final patch, because you still benefit from the many other improvements it makes, such as the following:[ol][li]reducing overhead by weeding out METARs that are not involved in the current flight plan[li]fixing certain METAR elements that confuse the built-in METAR interpreter[li]adjusting cloud heights, Euro altimeter settings, etc. to be utilized properly by Fly![/ol]Footnote: I've not forgotten about the problems some French users are having with the Load Metar dialog crashing Fly II as soon as it is accessed after the final patch has been applied. A test has been done in the last 24 hours with the European release of Fly II in which the tester was unable to reproduce this even after applying the final patch ... but the book certainly hasn't been closed on the problem.- David Sandberg (Fly II beta team, and creator of InfoMETAR)

I would echo David's comments. I would recommend the use of Infometar for the best results - I have also experimented with more moderate thinning, say...in the 20-mile range.However, whether you thin or not, it's still a good idea to save your metar around your flght plan with Infometar, and indeed cut your overhead.

Randall Rocke

Hi David,what about the 'buffer space around the flight route'?Is it ok to leave at 300 miles?Rodger

Guest DSandberg

Yes, that's fine.- David Sandberg (Fly II beta team member, and creator of InfoMETAR)