Sign in to follow this  
Guest DSandberg

Giving FlyII another chance

With the release of the latest patch, I decided to load FlyII back on my computer after not using it in over a year. I forgot how cool this sim is! The aircraft are way better than the "other" sim. Anyways, I was wondering if someone can help me remember what files I need to make this sim great again. I have the patches, C4TO, Flyscripts, and all the maps from before. I installed all these things and it works great. Are there any other files that I truly MUST have?Any help would be appreciated,Glenn Westfall

I would suggest http://www.realairsimulations.com/home.html for good quality aircraft and apparently good flight models - free and $$$.I also just re-loaded FLY! after almost 2 years with FS2002. The final patch seemed to be a good reason to return. Only been at it for a day but spent much of the time creating Terrascene 1/4 tiles of my primary flight areas. Once at altitude the road, coastlines, and rivers/streams are indeed a BIG plus. Terrascene 2.1, available at AVSIM, is a must have also. Very easy to use but it does take lots of time (45 min) to create a 1/4 tile on 1ghz cpu. I fortunatly kept all of the USGS files from my former Fly! life. I used them, in the meantime, to create scenery for FS2002 using Terrascene. However, the resolution, even when set at 4.8 meters, was not as good as the native FS2002 textures so I await someone doing the Terrascene thing for FS2002 itself.I am not a pilot so I exclusively rely on recommendations of those that really fly. To that end I am very careful about using free airplanes that do not have some sort of credentials for the flight models. The pretense of flight on a PC screen is difficult but no use detracting from the illusion with crummy flight models. After all this is a FLIGHT simulator. Bottom line is that although the sim is at a final conclusion, it offers several areas of interest and with the new polygon ability to underly an area, the scenery gets only better. Of course, with good flight models!Dick KLBE

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

Hi Glenn,you are fine with what you got, but to enhance the experience,don't forget to download all the great and FREEWARE stuff fromROTW! For example the Socata TBM700 (one of the best general aircraft)their new flightplanner (only french version at the moment) and so much more to ebjoy. The adresse is http://www.simvol.org/flyand you'll get agood chance to improve your french, ha ha!And of course don't forget Jure's great clouds like scattered,broken and the 'Big Mummas', plus David Sandberg's InfoMeta is amust have!The list is not finished at all, but I hope it helps you.Good luck and happy holydays,Rodger :-beerchug

>I would suggest http://www.realairsimulations.com/home.html >for good quality aircraft and apparently good flight models >- free and $$$. >Well............... They are good, perhaps even the greatest (at the moment); although, even Rob Young mentions not "perfect"; but then I doubt any PC flight model will ever be perfect!At the present time, the payware RealAir Simulations Marchetti SF260 designed for FS2002, appears to have gained the status of the "premier" do-it-all single engine flight model of all time! It just creates a much improved "feel" of slips, entering a spin, and rudder control, along with very convincing sounds. In fact, a flight school has contracted with RealAir Simulations for a re-make of the default FS Cessna 172 for it's simulators. They were very impressed with the SF260!This says a lot for a group of programmers who got their start & years of experience with the re-vamping of the original FLY models, on through FLYII. As to textures, I would agree that FS2002 has FLYII beat at low and mid altitude. But FLYII is nearly picture perfect when combined with that (higher altitude)photo-real SoCal scenery that I love so much!! I just wish there was more of it!! :) Once again..........from my archives, FLYII and SoCal photo-real--which is like you're almost there!L.Adamson

Thanks for the replys everyone. I am going to start using this sim again quite a bit. The next step is to get it working with vatsim. I will mess around with that today. Also, I downloaded infometar, but I get an error when I try to download the weather. Is there something wrong with the server? It may be something on my end though, I can't connect fly to multiplayer either. I am using WinXP. Anyone else have this problem?The error I get is as soon as I hit the download button on infometar is:"Access failed: reason unknown. (the weather server may be down or overloaded)"Glenn

Guest DSandberg

It's possible that the NOAA server was temporarily down. It does seem to be up right now, though ... I just tried it myself. I suggest you try a few more times, and if you always get this message, reply back to me with some more information about your computer and Internet setup (software and hardware).- David Sandberg (Fly II beta team member, and creator of InfoMETAR)

Hello David, Wow, you are quick. Now I remembered why I liked the Fly! community so much. I am using Infometar 1.01 and it does not even try to connect. As soon as I hit the download button I immediately get the error. I am now able to connect to multiplayer via the sim, so I can get a metar that way, then load it into infometar to thin it. But infometar will not download at all. My system is a Pentium 4, 1.5 GhzGeForce3 64MB card512 MB memoryWinXP ProfessionalDialup internet connection via 56K modem (No highspeed internet available for me in Okinawa. Makes downloading terrascene impossible now :-( If I left out any pertinent info, let me know.Thanks for the quick response...........Glenn

Guest DSandberg

Okay ... first a few questions:[ul][li]Do you have a firewall installed (software or hardware)? (If so, it could possibly be blocking InfoMETAR's attempts to access the Internet ... it is possible to configure most software firewalls to allow such access.)[li]Do you have MS Internet Explorer installed? (It must be present on your system for InfoMETAR's download to work.)[li]Is your computer's time and timezone data correctly set?[li]If you click on the following URL (ftp://weather.noaa.gov/data/observations/metar/cycles/) in Internet Explorer, does IE show you a directory of text files, and can you view the contents of the text files by clicking on them? If not, either your Internet Explorer is not configured to do FTP access, or else your internet service provider is blocking FTP access. Either of these things will prevent InfoMETAR from downloading METARs until they are corrected.[/ul]- David Sandberg (Fly II beta team member, and creator of InfoMETAR)

I seem to have a problem with Internet Explorer. I never used it before as I always use netscape. I guess I will have to mess around with the settings to get it working. I will try that and see what I can come up with. Thanks again, and I'll let you know if I get it working or not.Glenn

Guest DSandberg

It should just be a matter of setting up IE to connect to the Internet. You don't have to make it your primary browser or anything like that.- David Sandberg (Fly II beta team member, and creator of InfoMETAR)

Actually I just got it working. Something was set up wrong with IE, but all is well now and Infometar is downloading properly.Again, thanks for the quick response!Well, off to play...........Glenn

Is that photoreal scenery the included scenery with the Fly II cd? Mine doesn't seem to look that good. I think I need to download the globe update though, maybe that will help.Glenn

Guest DSandberg

Great! Thanks for letting me know that it's working now.- David Sandberg (Fly II beta team member, and creator of InfoMETAR)